The caliber conundrum

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
I will eventually be in the market for a new rifle, either a TGR or another Montana. I will be using my 1999 7mm08 for now to hold me over. I jumped to fast on the 7mm WSM and she is looking for a new home.

With that being said, I need some input on a caliber for general purpose, NA hunting. I am leaning towards a .30 cal of some choice:

30-06; ammo everywhere, how can one go wrong? It will do everything.
308; almost the same as the '06
300 WM: not so sure about the recoil on this one, I have played with one before and it wasnt fun.

Then I am also throwing in the mix:
35 Whelen: Heavy hitting thumper. Would be awesome on hogs, deer, etc
7mm Rem Mag: A lot of my research has shown that it almost rivals 30-06 in heavy for caliber bullets

So, given my many options, if one wanted something heavier then a 7mm08, that will:
Cover almost all of NA game
Ammo wont be to much $
Ammo availability will be everywhere

What say you all?

If it were me?

TGR in 300 WSM or 300 Win mag. 180 AB PT or 190 LRAB and you're done.
That was easy!

AV, I tend to think the Whelen is a great choice. I love the Whelen, ALOT. With a 7-08, you don't really need a 30-06. The Whelen offer's you bullet weight at a good speed to be a great upper end to your 7-08. Nothing wrong with a good 300 mag, everyone should have one, but the Whelen offer's great mass, bullet weight and range for anything over 500lb's.

I will say a 338 Win Mag or 338/06 is a great one too. Don't tell Joel, but the 338-06 is a close 2nd to the Whelen. I say if you need something bigger than a 7 or 30, then go bigger...

What is the recoil like in a 300WM compared to a 35 Whelen?

I am also trying to veer from a 300WSM, although it does sound VERY appealing. I almost put it on the list...

If you shoot a lot...get the 30-06, best "happy medium" of barrel life, power, range, ammo availability, etc.

If you don't shoot a lot...get the 7mm RM...a little better for long range, harder on barrels...other than that, its really similar to the 30-06.

35 Whelen...fine round...and it has more range than some give it credit for if the right bullets are used. I've never fired one, but have had a few 350 Rem mags which are identical as far as ballistics...in a nutshell, 308 Win trajectory with bullets weighing 200 grains.

The 7RM and the 7WSM are ballistic twins. If the 7WSM wasn't suitable, you will be disappointed in the 7RM. While 30 calibre is a good all around calibre for NA, it won't do too much more than what the 7-08 does for you now. Focus on the 35 Whelen. Recoil can be noticeable, especially with heavy bullets. However, it need not shove you around if you focus on reach instead of mass. Another option is the 350 RM.

A note on the 300WSM or the 300WM either one...

If you reload both can be loaded as light as 308 Win or 30-06...you don't have to put up with the recoil unless you really need it.

Ridgerunner665":1tjuqo6w said:

If you reload both can be loaded as light as 308 Win or 30-06...you don't have to put up with the recoil unless you really need it.

Hence me recommendation. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

FOTIS":24okzb76 said:
Ridgerunner665":24okzb76 said:

And a good one it was :lol:

We were typing at the same time for our first replies...lol.

I was guessing the OP ditched the 7mm WSM due to ammo availability...the same reason I've talked myself out of one several times...the 7mm's are about as "optimal" as it gets...I can find no good reason not to want one, and I still wrestle with the idea of rebarreling my M70 30-06 to 280AI from time to time (about 3 times a day).

Conundrum...yeah, that about sums it up, LOL...maybe I'll do the 280AI someday, and maybe I won't...for now, the old warhorse (30-06) will have to do.

Ridgerunner665":346qu8cc said:
FOTIS":346qu8cc said:
Ridgerunner665":346qu8cc said:

And a good one it was :lol:

We were typing at the same time for our first replies...lol.

I was guessing the OP ditched the 7mm WSM due to ammo availability...the same reason I've talked myself out of one several times...the 7mm's are about as "optimal" as it gets...I can find no good reason not to want one, and I still wrestle with the idea of rebarreling my M70 30-06 to 280AI from time to time (about 3 times a day)

I really wanted the WSM to work out, but not being able to reload and having a 7mm08 already I am set for a 7mm. Now I just want something that will be a bit bigger then my 7mm08 and cover just about anything

ajvigs":3v4w6vb5 said:
I really wanted the WSM to work out, but not being able to reload and having a 7mm08 already I am set for a 7mm. Now I just want something that will be a bit bigger then my 7mm08 and cover just about anything

Then you're down to the 30 vs 35 debate...you don't reload so the wildcats and such are out...and I would throw the 350 rem mag out too, because there are not many factory loads for it.

300 WSM, 300 Win mag, 30-06, or 35 Whelen...

If it were me...I'd rule out the 300 WSM too....mostly because of the magazine capacity (thats exactly the reason I have a 30-06)

So...300WM, 30-06, 35 Whelen...

You don't want a lot of recoil...That will probably rule out the 300WM since you don't reload, their are reduced recoil loads for it...but that seriously limits your ammo options.

30-06, 35 Whelen...You're gonna have to decide that on your own...range is the only real difference and that may or may not matter to you...both will hold 5 in the mag in a M70, both will kill anything in North America (and most of the rest of the world)...the 30-06 probably has the advantage in ammo availability and as an all purpose round (wider range of bullet weights available to the non-reloader.

And FWIW...I'm just rambling some things that might cause you to realize where one of these rounds might have an advantage you're interested in.

DrMike":1pxce4xs said:
The 7RM and the 7WSM are ballistic twins. If the 7WSM wasn't suitable, you will be disappointed in the 7RM. While 30 calibre is a good all around calibre for NA, it won't do too much more than what the 7-08 does for you now. Focus on the 35 Whelen. Recoil can be noticeable, especially with heavy bullets. However, it need not shove you around if you focus on reach instead of mass. Another option is the 350 RM.

The good doctor says it alot better than I can. If you need the horsepower, for bigger than deer, the 338's and 35's in the 06 case are pretty danged hard to beat. You do have the 338 Win Mag, which is one of my favorites.. Plenty of factory ammo, and nothing in this Continent or just about anything in Africa can't be taken..

The 7mm WSM is my favorite WSm and will choose it over the others every time. But I do handload so.....

FOTIS":c5f10tr0 said:
The 7mm WSM is my favorite WSm and will choose it over the others every time. But I do handload so.....

Without a doubt Fotis. It is a very awesome one..

Ajvigs - I'm of the opinion that except for the great bears, you've already got a rifle that's really "enough" for anything else in North America.

Am not sure a .30 cal is going to offer much more than a 7mm, and you're already tossing out the 7mm WSM, which is a fine cartridge, so I think you want something bigger, that doesn't necessarily beat the heck out of the shooter.

I'd be content with a .30-06, but do you yearn for something like a .338-06 or a .35 Whelen? Good choices!

Guy

Well, there's not a bad choice in your list. However, I have to strongly agree with a couple of the comments already made:

Guy Miner":e4zy35k8 said:
I'd be content with a .30-06
In spades. Has to be my favorite cartridge.

SJB358":e4zy35k8 said:
I will say a 338 Win Mag or 338/06 is a great one too.
If it weren't for the fact that both grandfathers went to war with the .30-06, the .338 Winchester would be my favorite cartridge. One of the most useful rounds out there. A few boxes of Federal Premium 210 grain Partitions and hunt away.

Hegland":3ffwye48 said:
One of the most useful rounds out there. A few boxes of Federal Premium 210 grain Partitions and hunt away.

Without a doubt!

I have to ask what is your intended use ? You have a fine "light rifle" in the 08. What are you wanting to do with the new cartridge, and under what conditions? You mention recoil as a concern, if so that will limit your options. If you want something with a lot more energy, more recoil is a sure thing. My recommendation would have been a 7 mm RM, but after reading farther into your post, I am thinking that is not the answer either. For me that only leaves the 06, not a bad choice at all. In my early years I hunted exclusively with an 06 and I have probably owned 6 or more of them at different times. I currently have a very nice low number custom 03. Well thats my 02

35 Whelen with a 225 gr or heavier bullet, great performance not sure how common it is where you live.
30-06 with a 200 or 220 gr Partiton (most likely need to handload to get those weights)
325 WSM with a 200-220 gr, great performer but not too common
338 Win Mag use the 210 gr Partiton factory load and you are set, should only recoil like a 300 Win Mag with that load.

Ajvigs had mentioned, if I'm not mistaken, ammo availability and costs as reason for ditching the 7WSM. In the .30 and under rifles in my safe, I think my 7WSM is right at the top of the list of favorites... but like Ajvigs, I'd be unhappy with it if I were buying ammo... but fortunately I reload. My son's rifle is a Savage 110L in 7mmRM. If recoil in a 300WM is a concern, the 7RM might be a great option given the reason for parting with the WSM. Ammo is not quite as abundant as the 30-0Bland, but what is? :lol: 7RM is still relatively common and not in the stratosphere for price... not to mention an exceptionally capable round. Recoil isn't very severe... my son has been shooting his since he was 12 or 13. Problem is there are a bunch of great rounds being mentioned that may have either availability/price or recoil concerns... then there's the point of the existing 7-08 not being a slouch either. If shots are of limited range, there may be no reason to go for the added horsepower of the 7RM. I can see why this is a conundrum!

Back