What's so Special about the 270 Win?

5 pages! What did I miss....? 270- Nothin so special.... kinda like green box Core Lokts...when used correctly, stuff falls down with boring regularity. If you got one just shoot it till you can make it do what you need. Come to think of it, that applies to a lot of things. "beware the man with only one rifle, he probably knows how to use it". CL

There’s nothing scientific about my answer for this at all.

I got my first “good” job when I was 18. I got on with our county sheriff department as a mechanic on their cruisers and trucks. I made $6.34 an hour plus benefits. I was able to save enough for a new Savage 110 in 270 Winchester. That rifle killed a lot of game and did it as far as I could shoot. It would put 3 140gr Winchester Surpreme Silvertip rounds into a group that you could cover with a nickel at 100 yards. I’ve had 1 or more ever since. The thing is, they work as great now as they did then.

Man oh man, you’ve heard me say before in other threads, but I still maintain that it is the perfect blend of light recoil, flat trajectory, and killing efficiency out there. To quote Wayne Van Zwoll, “dead doesn’t come in degrees.” The cartridge is easy to shoot well because it won’t knock you into next week. That means reduced flinching and more bullets on target.
Can you get slightly better BCs and sectional densities with a 7mm bullet? Yep. But, will you find 280 and 280AI at the hardware store in places hunters frequent? Probably not. Simply put, the 270 hits the perfect performance trifecta!

V/R,
Joe
Agreed Joe. A fella with a good 270 Winchester is pretty blessed.

Heck, I know you have a zinger 280 as well that makes me sweat.. how lucky can a fella be!

Scotty,
I’ve been truly blessed beyond measure! Salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, a wonderful wife and kids, and almost 20 years in EOD without ever having been blown up! I count my blessings everyday! Having a couple of nice shooting irons is simply icing on the cake 😉! I’m just hoping to get a bit more time to hunt in the second chapter of my working life. These kids are growing up fast!
V/R,
Joe

Scotty,
I’ve been truly blessed beyond measure! Salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, a wonderful wife and kids, and almost 20 years in EOD without ever having been blown up! I count my blessings everyday! Having a couple of nice shooting irons is simply icing on the cake 😉! I’m just hoping to get a bit more time to hunt in the second chapter of my working life. These kids are growing up fast!
V/R,
Joe

Blessed, indeed, Joe! (y)

Scotty,
V/R,
Joe
Anything on top of salvation is cream as far as I'm concerned. Hoping to get my 270 out this weekend up on the Darling Downs about 3hrs west of Brisbane (y)

Scotty,
V/R,
Joe
Boy, they do grow quickly buddy.

Not getting monkey'ed up playing with explosive things is a pretty good deal as well! :cool:

Yep, 0.277” vs 0.284” , 0.007” difference might be why I don’t have a 270.
one of my nicknames is ‘Big Bore Bill’ and i have lived that credo for 40+ years. I considered 9mm in a pistol and whimpy and ineffective for self defense. i lived by caliber plus velocity plus bullet placement equals longer range first shot kills.

caliber matters. As a result ANYTHING less than .358” as a hunting rifle i laughable. 45ACP, 460 smith, 45 colt, 350 Remington magnum, 44 magnum, 44 special, 357 mag, my pistol calibers……..375 Taylor my rifle .

so i am a idiot!!!!!!!! IDIOT!!!!!!

i have a ar15 and ar10(308), and my kid has a 243wssm.

I overlooked the best calibers there are. It ain’t easy to make a turn around.
My 375 Taylor 20” shoots a 205gr at 3050, a 235 at 2900.

the most accurate caliber i have is the fast twist 270win. Folks compare 7mm rem mag to 270win. Kinda unfair. My eyes were opened by 6.8 western. In spite of lower capacity, the 6.8 western closely matches 7mm rem mag and outperforms it at longer ranges. SO apples to apples 270 weatherby with .007” less diameter bullets and a twist rate to shoot 175gr murders all of the 7mm at longer ranges.

Never thought i would shoot .277 170ab, 170 EOL, and 175 TGK. I will never look back. I know mine is a totally custom rig, but if 27 caliber fast twist rifles can proliferate, they will finally realize their potential.
That from a 358 caliber guy.

-bill

Back