What's so Special about the 270 Win?

Do you like the Leupold better?

I've owned countless gold ring scopes but my Swarovski scopes are definitely my favorite.

My favorite Leupold ever was a Vari X III 4.5-14x40 AO in matte finish.
I prefer Leupold's B&C reticle to Swarovski's BRH reticle.

I was a ways off, watching another clearing and heard a shot from an area that could've been where my sons had gone to set up for the evening sit. Waited 10 minutes and called on the radio but no one responded so I figured it wasn't them. Then I turned the radio on at the appointed time a bit later to check in and that's when my son called and said they had a cow down. My other son had been across the drainage 50 yards taking a nap. He woke up just in time to see his brother lowering down on the cow and he had a birds eye view of it. Pretty cool for two brothers who are best friends to share that moment. My other son had a bull tag that year so he wasn't able to pick out another cow.

Last edited:
I picked up a early '70s vintage 700 BDL in a 270W back in the mid '90s. It appeared new. All blueing on bolt slides. The barrel looked clear. I put it in a syn stock. Put a VXII 3x9-40 on it.
Bore sighted it and took a shot at 100 yds. Using Federal Premium 130 Barnes ( I think..), found the shot 1.5" high on the vertical line. I thought " No way did that just happen". I ended up with a 5 shot group that a Nickel could cover. My thoughts were simply "Wow".
In the closet it went since I hunted muzzleloader back then. Skip ahead a few years and gave it to a nephew for graduation.
I since owned / hunted with a 270WSM. That 270 140/150 bullet did just fine on every deer or elk it was pointed at.
Only 270s I've owned. No complaints.

Seems so many of us were influenced by the early writers....JOC.

Makes me wonder in the age of the internet, YouTube videos, etc....some many people listing content, some good, some pretty bad....what will influence this generation.

The PRC calibers have certainly made an impact, but breaking it down from a ballistic standpoint , not too many "break throughs". Tighter chambers and tolerance of ammo and rifle chambers, leading to greater accuracy, but MOST people have no reason to shoot the ranges of the "YouTubers". Bench shooting vs field shooting are very different.

I have a great shooting 270 in the safe. I know it shoots great, I am confident the 140 AB will take everything I hunt, that being said I hunt other calibers, but NOT because the 270 is not capable.

Still want a M70 Featherweight 270 Win.....classic American rifleman.

Man oh man, you’ve heard me say before in other threads, but I still maintain that it is the perfect blend of light recoil, flat trajectory, and killing efficiency out there. To quote Wayne Van Zwoll, “dead doesn’t come in degrees.” The cartridge is easy to shoot well because it won’t knock you into next week. That means reduced flinching and more bullets on target.
Can you get slightly better BCs and sectional densities with a 7mm bullet? Yep. But, will you find 280 and 280AI at the hardware store in places hunters frequent? Probably not. Simply put, the 270 hits the perfect performance trifecta!

V/R,
Joe

Little late to the party. Personally, I’ve no interest in the 270 win. I don’t own any 27 caliber rifles actually, opting for 7mm instead in 7mm-08 and 7mm Rem Mag for standard use and “reach out & touch ‘em” respectively. That being said, a 270 WSM or 6.8 Western would certainly make me a happy man in something like a stainless Tikka t3x light or ultralight!

Bob Milek (my favorite writer as a kid) said he could not yell the difference on deer antelope and elk between the 270 and the 280. Considering what a star the 280 is, that is a bold statement. I have had a few of 270's and have taken plenty of game with them, but now I have only one. It is a Win 70 classic featherweight and it shoots 129 LRX's over 3100 fps and at 1/2" at 100 yds with RL 26. Mostly it just sits there, but it's not going anywhere.

dNMu31v.png

Last edited:
Bob Milek (my favorite writer as a kid) said he could not yell the difference on deer antelope and elk between the 270 and the 280. Considering what a star the 280 is, that is a bold statement. I have had a few of 270's and have taken plenty of game with them, but now I have only one. It is a Win 70 classic featherweight and it shoots 129 LRX's over 3100 fps and at 1/2" at 100 yds with RL 26. Mostly it just sits there, but it's not going anywhere.

dNMu31v.png
Very nice Fotis. A true American Classic right there.

JD338

I have more than a few .270s and only one .280 The .280 is a beautiful custom that is extremely accurate using the Speer 160 gr. Grand Slams. The only problem is it came out too damn heavy for use as a mountain rifle. Only had it on one hunt. It's just a lot of show that does have a lot of go.

Never had much use for he 270, especially with the 130 gr. bullets. Early on, around 1973 to be exact I felt they messed up too much meat that I much preferred to eat rather that have to put it in the waste barrel. I went to using 150 gr. bullets, mostly the Sierra Game King or Nosler Partition. I run either close to 2900 FPS (2880 to be exact) and both groups almost on top of each other. Let's say the Sierra hits to the right for .7" ad the Nosler to the let as bit for .75" Mix and match the two loads and I have usually a 1.5" groups or slightly less. It's quite consistent in working that was as long as I do my part.
Paul B.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have owned more .270's than any caliber I can think of, 14 if I remember right, and yet, don't hunt with one. Don't own one now. My last one I gave to my Grand Daughter is a Kimber Classic 84L .270 with a 24" barrel. I found that I much preferred 24" barrels for them. Probably won't ever buy another one. But they are Special, especially when handloaded.

FOTIS,
I know you love your Weatherby rifles, but that 130 LRX load sounds like it’s just dying to get out of the safe for a speedgoat hunt in some remote Wyoming pasture! Maybe this year it’ll get called up?
V/R,
Joe

LOL

FOTIS,
I know you love your Weatherby rifles, but that 130 LRX load sounds like it’s just dying to get out of the safe for a speedgoat hunt in some remote Wyoming pasture! Maybe this year it’ll get called up?
V/R,
Joe
The 270 has indeed harvested plenty of antelope through the years for me. Not this particular one though. Maybe this year. That's what happens when you have entirely too much overlap in calibers.

The 270 has indeed harvested plenty of antelope through the years for me. Not this particular one though. Maybe this year. That's what happens when you have entirely too much overlap in calibers.
Yep, 0.277” vs 0.284” , 0.007” difference might be why I don’t have a 270.

Back