New (Old?) Elk Rifle

bob_dobalina

Handloader
Oct 6, 2009
I have been using a 300 WSM for elk for years and love the gun, but any more I have the bug for a mellower, lighter recoil, elk caliber. Nearly every elk I have ever shot has been within 400 yds. I grew up with the 30-06 and am considering switching back to this. Others in mind are 270, 7mm-08, or something in the 6.5s. Never owned any of the latter but do have some 270 experience. The 270 and 30-06 would be hindered by twist for any of the new LR bullets, but I don't know that I care. Any thoughts or suggestions?

My opinion and it is not from experience on elk by any means only with a basic understanding of bullet diameters and speeds and effects on game, so take it with that in mind.

With modern bullets you could find something that would work with any of them. Any of them. Would work, and being ideal, especially in differing angles, etc, is probably another matter.

For me, the 30-06 is your huckleberry. You can keep it simple by just loading a standard C&C 180 grain bullet to somewhat over 2700 in a 22" barrel which it can do commonly, and that combo has been taking big game reliably for 70 plus years. Wanna step it up for reliability, just switch out to a Partition.

A modern bullet like a TSX in either 165 or 180 weight would likely shoot darn near stem to stern on an elk. For me on a big animal like an elk I'd take a frontal area starting out at .308 over one at .264 every time for situations I can't always control. But you know what they say about opinions.

Also you mentioned twist for modern LR bullets. Hornady is showing the 10 twist that is common on an 06 is good for up to their 220 gr ELDX.

"30-06 is never a bad choice" but why one would want to go there over a 300 win is a puzzle to me. You want reduced recoil with plenty of "elk killing energy"? Go with one of the 6.5 offerings.
Even a 270 with 150gr bullets, a G1 of .590 and 2900fps will get it done!

I'm not sure you will see that much decrease in recoil from the 300 WSM to the 30-06. Per Chuck Hawks it's 3-4 ft-lbs difference with a 180gr bullet. At that rate rifle design will have more effect than the chambering.

As noted above, 280AI would be a great round, or 270 Win with a 150PT if you already own a rifle in that caliber.

I'm not sure you will see that much decrease in recoil from the 300 WSM to the 30-06. Per Chuck Hawks it's 3-4 ft-lbs difference with a 180gr bullet. At that rate rifle design will have more effect than the chambering.

As noted above, 280AI would be a great round, or 270 Win with a 150PT if you already own a rifle in that caliber.
And to your point, a good recoil pad like the Pachmayr Decelerator pad will tame the beast.

JD338

From my own personal experience, 30-06 vs 300WSM is noticeable. I do use a limbsaver pad. Chuckhawks lists 30-06 with 180s at 20.3 ft/lb recoil, 300 WSM with 23.8, so a 15% difference? (definitely check my math ;) ) Plus the 300wsm is .25 lb heavier. But I hear you - not as noticeable as other choices.

I surely do like my 30-06, and after dropping all sorts of game with it, I did sell my 300 WSM rifle.

Sometimes I regret that, as my 300 WSM was uncommonly accurate... But overall I enjoy the heck out of hunting with my 30-06 rifle. A 280 or a 6.5 PRC could also be good choices. I've only recently been messing around with a 6.5 PRC. Accuracy potential is strong, and I'm sure it would work fine for elk, up close or out to 400+ yards.

I dunno. So many cartridges from which to choose. Maybe just download the 300 WSM a bit? :)

Guy

Last edited:
The late great Col. Townsend Whelen once said, "The 30-06 is never a mistake." I'm inclined to agree. A 165 gr. AccuBond at 2800+ FPS did a number on a large cow elk. One shot and elk down for the count. Rifle was a custom Mauser with 24" barrel.
Paul B.

From my own personal experience, 30-06 vs 300WSM is noticeable. I do use a limbsaver pad. Chuckhawks lists 30-06 with 180s at 20.3 ft/lb recoil, 300 WSM with 23.8, so a 15% difference? (definitely check my math ;) ) Plus the 300wsm is .25 lb heavier. But I hear you - not as noticeable as other choices.

Yep that would be just over 15%. The 300 WSM with it's short fat case is certainly more efficient in powder used than say a 300 WM, but I ran some calculations and depending on the powder used it would certainly be appreciative noticeable.

With IMR 4350 and a 180 gr bullet at the top charges listed, the recoil difference would be about 19%. With IMR 4831 it would be 22%. With Hunter and the 180 BT in 30-06 verses Hunter with a 180 NP the difference would also be 22%.

The 280 Ackley certainly has the cool factor going for it, but for factory rifle options as well as factory brass and factory ammo availability, the 7mm Rem mag is practically the same rifle just a touch more horsepower depending on powder.

As obvious lots of options and lots of opinions. But that's what makes for a good discussion. In the end whatever you pick isn't wrong.

Back