The downside to my last trip to the range

Vince":2c52u0tv said:
Started working on the .338 this evening.
I am using Wipeout due to liking what I read about it. I'll say this, after all the scrubbing and brushing I did I'm amazed at how much blue color I had on the patches. We'll see how Wipeout works by itself without prior brushing.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Wipeout will get the job done. Used it for years and won't use anything else, unless they stop making it.

I was amazed at how much blue was on the patch after using the Barnes stuff, brush, and multiple patches.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Living in California's condor country I shoot mostly Barnes Bullets. For the past several years all I have used is Bore Tech's Eliminator & CU+2 or Wipe Out & Accelerator for cleaning my barrels. Both have worked very well for me and they are non corrosive. I once had a barrel that would look like a barber shop pole after a few rounds of Barnes bullets, for that I used JB's with good results and then the other cleaners worked fine.

As for the primer issue, awhile back I did load development for a 7STW, 160gr Accubonds, VVN570 & WLRM primers at 3300fps. I knew I was near the top end of the pressure limit. When I had thought I had finished I realized I was out of primers. So I ordered a new batch of WLRM's. I loaded five rounds to verify and blew two out of three primers out of their pocket. I didn't have a chrono that day so I kept the other two until the next weekend. The next weekend I fired the two left over cartridges through the chrono with a speed of 3400 & 3450 fps so I backed off and found good accuracy at around 3100fps. In my case I think the lot of primers made the difference.

Same here, Bore Tech Eliminator, CU2 and something more abrasive such as Iosso in order to get the carbon out. BTE will pull ALOT of copper out, along with carbon. I don't really use brushes at all, once in a great while, but very seldom. the best course of action is to swab the bore and soak it. Let the chemicals work. If you take them out too fast they aren't really getting to work. Time is your friend, let them sit. Use the JB's or Iosso when you think you have it clean, then hit it again.

That will work quite well when used judiciously on a rough barrel.

Back