The Famous ( Infamous?) .270 Winchester

I never have paid any attention to energy numbers, it is penetration that matters. If I could only have one bullet to use it would be the Nosler Partition. To bad they don't put a plastic tip on them.

EOD Diver":29uecb52 said:
So I’ve posted this link before on our ol’ pal the .270 Win, but this seems like the perfect time to drum it up again! I’ve killed more than a few elk with it and I absolutely love it! I’m not sure there is a better combination of flat trajectory, light recoil, and bullet performance out there. I’ve made some long pokes with it and it has always delivered for me. I became a convert when a friend and I happened upon a herd of elk. We simultaneously popped a cow each, him with his 270 and me with my brand new 300 Win. They were both 250 plus yard shots and both ran 50 yards after being hit only my rifle knocked the heck out of me and the ammo cost a fair bit more than his, but we experienced the same darn results. That left me scratching my head about kinetic energy comparisons, but thoroughly impressed with what I had just witnessed from the 270 Winchester. It wasn’t long after that I decided to try my hand with it and man did it deliver. I found a dilapidated pre-64 M70 on the cheap and, as luck would have it, it shot amazingly well. The first factory 140 AB I put through an elk with it dropped so hard and so fast that I thought I had missed! The next year I planted a 130 Scirocco through an old cow facing me at over 300 with the same results. Simply put, I was hooked. I could go on and on about my ol’ friend, but suffice it to say that I’m a huge fan! Apparently, so is Ross Seyfried!

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/ross ... gnum-myth/

V/R,

Joe
That's a really good article! I believe Ross is right, God rest his soul.
I have to say I would have to agree with Ross' view. I was a Magnum-phile in my younger years as well. I hope I'm wiser now, and I believe the .270 can and do what everyone on here has said, with plenty to spare.
It shoots a lot better than its paper ballistics.
I believe that is why it has withstood the test of time. Because it is just that good!
It doesn't need a belt to make it great.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

I got a new rifle yesterday, I sold my Winchester M70 Ultimate Shadow .300 WSM, and went with my buddy Fotis' recommendation on 1 of 3 rifles. He suggested a new Ruger American Rifle, a T/C Venture, or a T/C Compass.
I went with the T/C Venture after I read this article.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/editoria ... 1004/83718

I had to have it after that!
I saw the Table of velocities and accuracy! It sold me on the T/C Venture!
In .270 Winchester, of course!
f2b4136064f9c3d277dbe6a4c1cb9e02.jpg
8c4eef27e13d951ff38c8c39284e6fa9.jpg

It's a lot like my Browning A Bolt II I have in .300 Win Mag.

That was an excellent choice old boy, I am a big fan of T/C
Ventures and have had a few of them in various calibers.
They all shoot amazing ! About the only con on the design
Is I like to replace the bolt handle with a longer tactical one. The factory handle was too petite to use winter hunting with gloves. Also because of the extra leverage it
creates, it vastly improves how easily the action works when the bolt is cocking. You have made a wise choice on a fine rifle.
Glades Armory:Screenshot_2018-12-04-02-01-12.png

35 Whelen":tha65m5o said:
That was an excellent choice old boy, I am a big fan of T/C
Ventures and have had a few of them in various calibers.
They all shoot amazing ! About the only con on the design
Is I like to replace the bolt handle with a longer tactical one. The factory handle was too petite to use winter hunting with gloves. Also because of the extra leverage it
creates, it vastly improves how easily the action works when the bolt is cocking. You have made a wise choice on a fine rifle.
Glades Armory:
Thank you 35 Whelen!
I have to agree, the Bolt handle could've been a little longer and and wider.
It does seem to be a very solid rifle, and the synthetic stock still amazes me.
Very sturdy, and forearm fills my big hands quite well.

Back