The Great Bears - interesting

someone ask me to respond, but I agree with April, salmon chaser and 35whelen are the men who have been there done that. Salmonchaser, every year and 35whelen has got to have a good story or two from his guiding days in Alaska.

But was asked what I use

348--250 gr
before that
30-06--180 gr

and sometimes

tranquilizer ----dart

Back home now with a bit more time Guy.

We try to take one each year, sometimes two, as they provide a lot of product. Like Salmonchaser we have an ongoing relationship with them. One must always be prepared for the worse although it seldom is.

The Polar can actually be a bit more unpredictable and requires more caution and concern, but one a year is enough as well.

Icarry the 348/250 all the time, so that is what get s used. And the 30-06 before that.

Gil, Dr Mike, Gerry, David, Guy, congratulations.

Unfortunately Gerry, Dr Mike and Gil can no longer hunt them in their back yard, which is so damn wrong. Very upsetting. They are trying to move the ban North, but fortunately of res there is no Vancouver type city up here.

I still believe Earle would have some great stories and Salmonchaser possibly sees and is confronted by the most bears each year. We see them, especially when in a canoe, but we are not as up close and personal with them as Salmonchaser is.

Guy, why can't you go again ? Will your new job at the range take up too much of your time ? I know our grandfather is now at a point of not being able to do, whatever, and he is glad he did as much traveling as he did when he still could after he retired.

For those of you who have taken a bear, try a Muskoxen hunt, I think you can hunt them in Alaska, but not sure, you can in Canada and Greenland.

Sorry David, was unable to get the video to work

Guy, also since your retired take your dog an your son to Alaska and canoe the Yukon or the Mackenzie in N.W. Territories and you will se bears --or just go fishing with salmon chaser

Looks like a nice place to hunt!
I'm sure you'll have fond memories while looking at your grizzly mount/rug for yearsto come!

Thankful Otter said:
Sorry David, was unable to get the video to work

It takes about 20 seconds for the video to upload to where it will pop up on your screen. Then just click on play.

David
Had the neighbors 12 year old grandson help me out, amid much eye rolling he quickly downloaded your video. Great video and a wonderful looking bear.
The creek looks like classic Arctic char water. Glad you were able to add those to your trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think I’ll kill another, hunting. If I go again I’ll step up from my 06 to my 338Jarett/250 partitions. Like Guy, my dad thought the 06 was adequate. He killed 6 while we lived up there. One of those was with his .264 WM. during a Brooks sheep hunt. Said he shouldn’t have started that fight.

salmonchaser":1nunzksv said:
I don’t think I’ll kill another, hunting. If I go again I’ll step up from my 06 to my 338Jarett/250 partitions. Like Guy, my dad thought the 06 was adequate. He killed 6 while we lived up there. One of those was with his .264 WM. during a Brooks sheep hunt. Said he shouldn’t have started that fight.

Eeek! That sounds rough. Ya, I did okay with the 30-06, but if I was going for the big coastal bears I'd be packing a 375 H&H or a 375 Ruger. No doubt.

Guy

I absolutely think the .375 is a great choice. A whole bunch of bears have been killed with an 06. Heck I would guess more then a few been killed with a .30/30. The fearsome reputation of the coastal bears was not earned with out merit.
What gets me is all the versions of Volkswagen flipping handguns people think will leave them believing they are well protected. I carry a gun every day, most often a handgun, (454) I’m here to tell you when you’re 15 yards from a fully mature 8 foot 800 pound sow and three cubs they feel like itty bitty pea shooters.
As David was able to demonstrate a well placed .284 round can do the job with distinction. I’m now going for my first cup of coffee because I’m not sure where I was going with this...

salmonchaser":2i8a1nng said:
I absolutely think the .375 is a great choice. A whole bunch of bears have been killed with an 06. Heck I would guess more then a few been killed with a .30/30. The fearsome reputation of the coastal bears was not earned with out merit.
What gets me is all the versions of Volkswagen flipping handguns people think will leave them believing they are well protected. I carry a gun every day, most often a handgun, (454) I’m here to tell you when you’re 15 yards from a fully mature 8 foot 800 pound sow and three cubs they feel like itty bitty pea shooters.
As David was able to demonstrate a well placed .284 round can do the job with distinction. I’m now going for my first cup of coffee because I’m not sure where I was going with this...

I could sit and listen to everyones stories of hunts past and not so distant past for hours. One of my favorite things and a lot of you folks sure have a lot of experiences with the bears. Pretty darn neat.

salmonchaser":6eidpx0o said:

Well, I've got my first cuppa' joe, and I'm finally beginning to think, clearly or not. I've gone into the bush after mountain grizz on a couple of occasions. Don't mind telling you that even when armed with a 7mm Rem Mag loaded with 175 grain TBBC, I felt undergunned, and these bears seldom get much bigger than 8 to 8.5 foot. Bottom line, these great bears are incredibly powerful. That has to be respected.

DrMike":1e84t8ci said:
salmonchaser":1e84t8ci said:

Well, I've got my first cuppa' joe, and I'm finally beginning to think, clearly or not. I've gone into the bush after mountain grizz on a couple of occasions. Don't mind telling you that even when armed with a 7mm Rem Mag loaded with 175 grain TBBC, I felt undergunned, and these bears seldom get much bigger than 8 to 8.5 foot. Bottom line, these great bears are incredibly powerful. That has to be respected.

EXACTLY!!!

There have been times the 348 with a 250 wood leigh in a lever action ( more than one shot ) does not seem like enough gun. Salmonchaser, Earle, Dr Mike and any others who hunt and/or live with them, all know--you better respect them !!!

And for the record, more people have been killed by a black bear than either a brown or white bear, so just because it is black dont run over to it and try to give it a hug like a teddy bear

Guy and David, info sent

She was probably nearer 500 pounds, still one of my memorable encounters.

Have shot a couple and guided a couple the 2 I shot were with 30-06 handload 180 gr speer BTSP
both 1 shot one at 30yds facing me other at 250-300 broadside.
The one guided was a 270 1 shot the other a 300 weatherby took many shots and got a little western.
As all ready mentioned here in B.C. season is now closed but hopefully will be re opened, for like hunting them.
Have had other tags here and chased them around with a muzzle loader but no luck.

EXACTLY!!!

There have been times the 348 with a 250 wood leigh in a lever action ( more than one shot ) does not seem like enough gun. Salmonchaser, Earle, Dr Mike and any others who hunt and/or live with them, all know--you better respect them !!!

And for the record, more people have been killed by a black bear than either a brown or white bear, so just because it is black dont run over to it and try to give it a hug like a teddy bear

Guy and David, info sent[/quote]

Always enjoy hearing about your adventures and appreciate very much your experience and what you have to say.
David

Thankful Otter":1mlkft5f said:
Guy, why can't you go again ? Will your new job at the range take up too much of your time ? I know our grandfather is now at a point of not being able to do, whatever, and he is glad he did as much traveling as he did when he still could after he retired.

Two reasons; I feel like I've satisfied that drive to go pursue one of the great bears, and my wallet simply isn't up to that expensive a hunt. I saved for years for the grizzly hunt and had to really wrestle with myself about the decision to spend so much money on a hunt. I can't bring myself to do that again.

As a non-resident, a guide is required. Guided grizzly hunts tend to be quite expensive. So - nope - not doing that again. Besides, it's kind of like the bull elk, I really don't have much drive to go get either another big bull elk, or another grizzly, brown or polar bear. Now with my camera? Oh yes, I'd love to go spend some time photographing them.

Interestingly, though I couldn't have brought the hide & head back to the USA, I did consider a polar bear hunt. It was more expensive, but that didn't really bother me, I just really wanted to hunt interior grizzly. Doing so in the Brooks Range was just icing on the cake.

Regards, Guy

Personally I think a trip into the Brooks in and of itself would be worth the price of admission, add in fishing for char and Grayling, it’s a great trip, throw a hunt in for, well, anything it just got better yet. The Brooks can give you at least a sense of what Lewis and Clark/the corp of discovery would have experienced for wild open country.

Back