The old rock pile

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
It's too cold to do much else up here, so I thought I might reminisce a little bit here about the rockpile on my uncles farm we dismantled last fall. It's on a farm that's been in the family since around 1930, and was settled by white men in 1862, then redeeded in 1865 as the original settlers disappeared in the Sioux uprizing of 1862. It's located at the junction of 3 overgrown fencerows and a small gully in the back pasture... a natural deer stand and was full of rifle brass.

The top layers held a lot of 16 ga plastic slug shells, almost certainly my uncles who has shot several deer here including the one he "Rambo'd" with his knife after it hung up in the barbed wire and he emptied his shotgun, this area has been shotgun only for about 50 years. Below that were a few rims of 12ga paper shells and that's where the rifle brass started. On the top were a few 300 sav. cases, most likely from my Grandfather who got to hunt there after my dad married into the family. I inherited that rifle. Also present were a few military '06 cases, probably my uncle who was too cheap to buy new ammo for his springfield, choosing to file down military FMJ. There were also a few 6.5 Jap cases from another great uncle, my cousin inherited that rifle. Below that was a smattering of different cases, the most prevalent being 44-40. Also present were .303 Brit, 30 Rem, an unknown rimmed bottleneck aprox. .35 calibre, and the obligatory .30-30 cases. The most interesting were at the bottom though. Under all of the rock, probably dating to the first owner who according to the deed was granted the land for service in the Grand Army of the Republic, was a neat handful of rimmed, rimfire rounds in a large calibre. They are almost certainly for a Henry or Spencer rifle, but were in too bad of shape to identify. As a fitting end, while grading for the new field road that will cross the ravine at that point, my uncle turned up a perfect arrowhead. I collected the brass, put them all out on an old piece of barn tin, took a few pictures and then tossed them to the new location of the fence intersection where a new rock pile is already growing.

It's truly humbling to think of the generations of hunters and the stories of deer taken from this point as can only be imagined from holding those old cartridge cases. I've got my own little pile starting on a wooded hilltop in Northern MN now!

I can just picture some hunter 50 years from now "what the heck is a 280 remington?!!"

Polaris,

What a great story. What great reminiscences as you found the various layers of hulls and cases. Thank you for sharing. If only the rock pile could talk.

Ahhh... The rockpile!! What a place of boyhood memories... All the cool forts, full of neat "stuff", stuff to break, stuff to shoot, stuff to fix, full of jackrabbits and birds, a place to put the dead calfs and to trap the fox(s).. Man was that a fun world!!!! Even today I am attracted to "explore" new to me, rockpiles...

Makes me want to go back to my family farm and just get a rock from it for my own rockpile..

Thank for bringing that memory up for me... Dang near got tears in my eyes. By the way mine is in NWMN....

Nodak

Doc Mike, by the way how do you Canadians spell "Rockpile"? :mrgreen:

If only those rocks could talk!
A lot of history in that pile of rocks.

JD338

What? No reloaders in your family? If a case falls to the ground when I am hunting I would search for days just to find it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is a place on my Grandfathers farm in TN that I used to squirrel hunt as a kid. Just up the hill from this spot was a place that while they were doing some building they found artifacts that experts that they called in said was an Indian hunting camp. I used to sit there and imagine those Indians were with me in spirit as I was hunting their hunting grounds.

Pass the Damn kleenex and shut-up!! (not really) For me it was a 120 year old cottonwood on my grandfathers place. All thats left of the original "tree claim". Five generations (at least) tended/hunted under that tree. Nice story. CL

1Shot":203f5vhb said:
What? No reloaders in your family? If a case falls to the ground when I am hunting I would search for days just to find it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is a place on my Grandfathers farm in TN that I used to squirrel hunt as a kid. Just up the hill from this spot was a place that while they were doing some building they found artifacts that experts that they called in said was an Indian hunting camp. I used to sit there and imagine those Indians were with me in spirit as I was hunting their hunting grounds.

The hunters in my family were the type to shoot 1 shot per deer, and maybe sling an odd round at a fox or crow in the pasture. Not much reloading going on there. Personally, I like to leave the brass I use in the woods behind so somebody else can find it one day and imagine their own story.

That is a very entertaining story. I think we can all relate, but that rockpile had more history than most of us can get a tangible hold of.

The 303 brit was likely a canadian visiting, and I'm barely being humorous, they were that common. I think most rural, canadian families had one kicking around during the middle of the century.

My brother was given a small box of "gun stuff" by his wife's grandparent's when they were moving. It contained a half box of 44-40 shells, some 22 short, longs and a couple 25-35 rounds. Most boxs were no newer than the 50's, but that is still nowhere near a spencer .56 or something of that vintage. I did enjoy looking at that stuff when he showed it to me tho.

JT.

jtoews80":33xancns said:
That is a very entertaining story. I think we can all relate, but that rockpile had more history than most of us can get a tangible hold of.

The 303 brit was likely a canadian visiting, and I'm barely being humorous, they were that common. I think most rural, canadian families had one kicking around during the middle of the century.

My brother was given a small box of "gun stuff" by his wife's grandparent's when they were moving. It contained a half box of 44-40 shells, some 22 short, longs and a couple 25-35 rounds. Most boxs were no newer than the 50's, but that is still nowhere near a spencer .56 or something of that vintage. I did enjoy looking at that stuff when he showed it to me tho.

JT.
No kidding about the .303 enfield in Canada. I found a No1Mk3 (or is it 3 mk1, british nomenclature confuses me) sadly rusting away in a fallen down trappers cabin NW of Fort Frances... it was still loaded. The friends I stay with on Loon Haunt Lk have a couple hanging up on pegs in the cabin. One has a buttstock made out of local black ash as the original one had an "accident... don't ask questions." That area was the wild frontier as recent as the '70s. I have to imagine it was broken on somebody's skull. I got to see Veg fire a half clip at a wolf trotting across the ice one day. Bit far off, but sure scared him good.

The SMLE in it's various forms was also quite common in Minnesota during the roaring 20s and depression as they could be had for next to nothing at the local hardware store and were a fine deer rifle. We did a lot of "business" with Canada during that colorful period. Somebody told me they were popular with gangsters who couldn't afford a BAR or Thompson as the military FMJ ammo would easily penetrate a car door or block wall and the buttstock was readily replaced with a pistol grip. Occasionally a ross even shows up, but I haven't been that lucky yet!

Back