The Whelen will have to wait until next year to get a chance

ROVERT

Handloader
Jun 18, 2011
... the .270 stole the show this year.

I headed out to a stand this afternoon that offers the potential for some longish shots. Despite not really intending to take a deer today, I took the .270 instead of the 35 Whelen since it lends itself a little better to the ranges expected at this stand. The reason I didn't really plan on trying to take a deer is that I prefer to process one at a time and I still have the one from Monday hanging in the shed. My plan was to see if the deer fed into the field as they have been doing on a somewhat regular basis and to get some video of them if they were cooperative.

I got into the stand around 2:30, strapped the video camera to the shooting rail and waited.

At around the 4:15, the first deer showed up at the far side of the field. I watched and filmed her for a while. Then a fawn fed into the field from the right. I videoed that one as well. Finally a third deer came out from near where the first appeared. The two larger deer moved together to a spot that offered a clear shot. The more I thought about it, the more the temptation to get a kill on film got a grip on me. Finally, I decided to take the shot. I had ranged the edge of the field at around 350 yds and she was maybe 20 yds from the edge. With the 300 yd zero, I knew I could hold right on her.

I settled the the crosshairs on her shoulder and squeezed off the shot, sending the 130 AccuBond on its way.

I saw her fall the instant the bullet arrived. I was pretty pumped knowing I had made a good shot and had caught it on film. I quickly watched what I had caught on camera and sure enough I had video of her going straight down. I ranged her after the shot, she was at 336 yards.

Here's the video, its not the greatest camera and I was zoomed way in (70X) in low light so the quality isn't fantastic but it's the first time I've ever captured a kill. I also haven't really edited it yet, but I was anxious to get it uploaded. Skip to 3:45 if you don't want to watch the deer feeding for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuwkdd1oDKc&feature=youtube_gdata

Here are some pics:

DSC02375.JPG

Nosler in:
DSC02383.JPG

DSC02380.JPG

Nosler out:
DSC02379.JPG

DSC02378.JPG

I'll get some more autopsy photos when I cut her up. The bullet made about a golf ball size hole in the ribs on the entrance side and a tennis ball size hole in the ribs on the exit side.

Great shot and a great video, Trevor!

Does anyone see the same trend I do? Accubonds seem to work well regardless of caliber.

Ron

Nice!..Gotta love the .270/.270WSM...they just simply get the job done!..Congrats :)

Very awesome Trevor! Great shooting buddy! You done well breaking that 270 in!

Trevor,

Congratulations on the doe and for making such a cool video.
Nice shooting there buddy.

JD338

Good job Trevor :) in my opinion you are using to of the finest calibers 270 win & the 35 Whelen :mrgreen:
I believe you will have some fine table fare this winter.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks again, guys.

The two doe this year were the first I've ever taken with a .270. I'm still not giving up my beloved .30-06, but I must admit that it certainly did its job and did it well.

Ridge_Runner":fyek5jbp said:
great video, great shot, but I think a buck was coming by the way the does acted.
RR

Thanks, I thought that too about the possibility of a buck coming into the field. They certainly seemed to think something would be joining them. We are only allowed to take one buck per year here in PA. I took mine in archery season, so only does were on the menu for me.

Nice! A 336 yard one-shot kill with no tracking required. Doesn't get much better than that. Good job.

I enjoyed the video - you did well capturing that. Pretty fancy deer hauler I see in that first photo too... :grin:

Congrats, Guy

Thanks, Guy. The deer hauler isn't so fancy as it once was. It's a '95. Most of the carpet has been removed. The air suspension has been replaced with springs. The plastic sills have been removed and rock sliders installed... Steel bumpers, no air dams or other extra plastic to make things pretty. It is an excellent deer retrieval machine though and does have well appointed features for a vehicle of its time. I especially like the heated windscreen or quickly clearing the frost in the morning.

DSC02157.JPG

Back