Thinking about changing up my 7mag...

desertcj":2behilrn said:
Yeah, it's a Shilen 1 in 8 twist. I also decided not to have it nitride after reading about some horror stories. Ruined barrels, etc. If I'm lucky enough to shoot the barrel out, they DO make more (y)

Heck yeah! If you shoot it out I am sure you'll be pretty happy with yourself! I am still working on wearing a few out but they just keep shooting!

I just came back from the range with my 7mm RM. Wasn't my best outing but it shot well enough. I've tested the 180 ELDs and found a good node in the low 2900's, but like the Berger VLD hunting better. Bullets held together a touch better in water jugs.

Used 67.5 gr H1000 in new Nosler brass and I'm getting 2920 with my 26in barrel. Using Berger's ballistic calculator I got dialed in accurately and quickly. Found out my scope has a one or two degree cant to it while I was at it.

I do all of it with a 9 twist with no issues at all.

After studying some QL data, the MAX velocities look more like 140gr E-tip-3350 fps, 150gr E-tip-3250 fps and I'm not really thinking about using the 168gr LRX anymore. Not really any ballistic advantage when it can MAYBE be pushed to 3100 fps. Realistically speaking, drop another 50fps off of those numbers for working loads.

I think you’d have some killer loads at any of the speeds mentioned. When 50 FPS makes a difference st those speeds were probably having other problems.

SJB358":y33emel5 said:
I think you’d have some killer loads at any of the speeds mentioned. When 50 FPS makes a difference st those speeds were probably having other problems.

Absolutely. Thank you for taking the time to help me out!

desertcj":wayjoh8v said:
SJB358":wayjoh8v said:

Absolutely. Thank you for taking the time to help me out!

No sweat. I dig seeing others projects come together.

Looking at getting some brass in to start on the loading. Norma is probably the best for the price? What about between Hornady and Winchester in 7mm Rem mag? I've had good luck with win brass in .243, not so good in 7mm-08. Never used Hornady.

Edit: I see PRVI available as well but I'm not sure about that either?

I’d gamble on Winchester myself. You may have some culls but it is tough stuff and may work better for the work you intend on doing with it.

I’d skip Norma myself and buy RWS if you wanna buy the best stuff that’ll last 2x as long as any of the rest. It’s more up front but it is really good stuff.

cloverleaf said:
Ever seen a Wyoming wind sock?

Wasn't that the log chain on the telephone pole? Never seen it below 30 deg, mostly 90deg and "fluttering", ha. My Nemesis is the prairie wind! :(

Spit this piece of lead out of my mouth while eating an antelope steak the other day! If it hadn't of happened to me, I wouldn't believe it myself. This makes me really want to start using copper bullets for hunting exclusively. I have no problem with others that do though.

Attachments

• 20180823_122819.jpg
    20180823_122819.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 870
I hear you but you’d have to eat lbs of lead for it to hurt you. Solid lead has never been proven to hurt anything. Lead vapor and gases are the dangerous pieces to worry about. Besides unless you eat the stuff around the wound how much of a chance do you have to even get lead into your system. I’m sure Mike will have some thoughts on this and maybe straighten me out if I’m off kilter.

I had no idea a bullet fragment had traveled so far. I've eaten many animals killed with lead core bullets and never had this happen. Sure wasnt a pleasant experience spitting out a piece of lead though...lol.

I bet. Agree with that but I’d bet you’d have to take a bunch more animals to have it happen again.

Now, if you wash the lead piece in acidic solution, drinking it for a period of years, you might have a problem. A fragment, especially a fragment that you find and spit out won't be problematic.

DrMike":30p6j5o5 said:
Now, if you wash the lead piece in acidic solution, drinking it for a period of years, you might have a problem. A fragment, especially a fragment that you find and spit out won't be problematic.
If it was I would have dead years ago. Lord only knows how many pieces of lead shot and shrapnel I haven't spit out while eating wild game shot with a shot gun. Sometimes you just can't get it all out Never shot anything with steel shot but I Bet it's hard on the teeth. :lol: :)>)

Even with monos you can run into some tooth busting remnants....

Here’s a petal of a 140 TTSX, lodged solidly in one of roasts on the off shoulder of a bull I shot.

B8C54C9A-2BBE-48D3-A820-736CD06D309A_zpsou2kzvav.jpg

desertcj":1ijtypl1 said:
Ouch. Must have been a fairly close shot?

I’m not sure about SD’s shit distance but I’ve seeb petals sheer off pretty easily from the 308 and 358 TSXs that weren’t running very hard. But I did pull them from dead animals. No real complaints.

desertcj":3uji9k2v said:
Ouch. Must have been a fairly close shot?

Yeah.... 60 yards.

BUT..... it was fired out of an 18” barreled 7/08, impact velocity would have been about 2600fps. That bullet hammered that bull, breaking both shoulder blades and exiting... he went maybe 30 yards. I was very impressed with that bullet’s performance at that velocity.

I have a load for my 7 Rem Mag that duplicates that performance..... at 1/4 mile. I’m pretty certain that if I’d shot that bull with the 7 Mag load, it would most likely blow all 4 petals off, and the shank would exit.... which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

OK, I have some load data to report! This thing wants to shoot, but the Hogue stock its in is garbage. It's so flimsy that I can see the target basically vibrating in the scope just from me holding the stock with my trigger hand! I shot two bullets today. Here are the velocities. I don't believe I hit max with either bullet. Need to cram more powder in the case...

Attachments

• 20190505_165654_1557101506462.png
    20190505_165654_1557101506462.png
    472.2 KB · Views: 900
  • 20190505_165715_1557101672384.png
    20190505_165715_1557101672384.png
    475.1 KB · Views: 900
Back