Thompson Center Venture Predator ?

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
What can anyone tell me good or bad about these guns?
After some research I have come to the realization that my minty model 100 Winchester is just worth way too much in todays market to trash it out as a snowmoble gun!
Hence I started looking at Ruger Americans and Tikka T3s
But then noticed the T/C Predator in Snow Camo and it looks like perfect little gun to hunt coyotes in the snow!
But since I have no experience with T/C rifles though I might find someone on here that does!
wm_8625114 (1).jpg

I bought one, scoped, a few years back in .223 as I was trying to sell my AR-15. I've had it to the range, numerous time and it has performed well with Win White Box .225/55gr and my cast .55gr flat point. I'm now loading some 77gr that I want to experiment with. I've had no issues with it and it has been a great coyote gun. I would recommend it. I was looking at the Howa as well, but other than price point, I can't speak to them as to their reliability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had one in a 22-250 E. I liked the rifle quite a lot. It was accurate and well built.

Not sure which cartridge your looking at but the 223's and 22-250's are twisted on the slow side. In this case the RARs are a better mousetrap in my opinion since the 223's are an 8 twist (have one) and the 22-250's are a 10 twist.

If the venture was a 8 twist in the 22-250 or 223 it'd be a no brainer, I'd go Venture all day long.

Thanks Scotty,
Its just going to be a 243...... Thats been working fine with those 70gr Armageddons, so figured I will
Stick with what works ( wish it came in 6.5x55 though!)
Almost was thinking of a 7mm08 but that would involve dies
Cases, bullets etc.......so figured what the 243 wont do the 270
Sure will
Eman

That would work E. I was thinking the 7-08 a little as well. Makes sense to keep the same as you have been running.

The T-C Venture was/is a great rifle, highly underrated by shooters/hunters. If I was in the market for another rifle (okay, all the time) and found one, I wouldn't hesitate over it.

I think I am going to go for it as when I sort it all out it does seam like about the best bang for the buck! The Predator is one badboy in that Snow Camo !
Plus nice rebate on them..........
e

35 Whelen":14u3d1z8 said:
I think I am going to go for it as when I sort it all out it does seam like about the best bang for the buck! The Predator is one badboy in that Snow Camo !
Plus nice rebate on them..........
e

Sounds pretty good to me E. mine shot real well. Hard to beat the price..

My sister has the venture in 243 and with 100 grain power points shoots sub moa easily. Pretty nice feeling rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one in a 25-06 and it shoots 5/8 inch to 3/4 inch groups all day long with handloads

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

A buddy on mine uses one for predator calling- works fine.

I have the Ruger American predator and it is fantastic as far as accuracy goes. But the stock on the venture my sister has feels much better. And I'm sure with handloads hers will shoot as good as my predator without doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I did purchase one so we will see how it shoots shortly.
The little model 100 was just to nice to hunt with, so I will likely sell it to a Collector.

I think it was a venture, that I read an article on some time back. As usual, several brands of ammo (4-5) were shot for accuracy and all of them were sub MOA at 100 yds. :shock: I was impressed. Something unique to the rifling in the ventures as I recall. cant remember what exactly. CL

Well we will see how this one shoots shortly, I am very interested in the snow camo part, I had a standard black n SS Ruger Mark II for last 15 years, so will be interesting to see how they compare. My new Tikka T3 will shoot under moa for sure. Hope the Venture will too??? I really thought hard about just getting another Tikka but in camo with fluted barrel it is almost DOUBLE what I paid for the Venture.
So for sonething I will use 3/4 months of the year or as a "lender" that seams like the Venture should work!
But if I needed to carry a gun all day the Tikka is hard to beat.
I have used a Model 70 Featherweight every fall since 1989, When they first reintroduced the pre64 actions. It is a great gun, but the Tikka weighes 17 oz less!!!

And the clip has some huge advantages to me as well.
I am certain the Venture will do just fine and hey I am buying American.
Actually here is a picture of me without a gun in my hand!
FB_IMG_1483879339862.jpg

I have in the past loaded for a young fellow who owns a Venture in the 270win and I had no problem loading a 130gr. AB to shoot between .50-.75 at a 100moa.
He has now moved so I no longer load for him but I know that he seems to still use the rifle and does not say to much about using factory ammo in it.
I am sure you made a good choice in picking one up.

Blessings,
Dan

Well, here is an update, trigger pull on mine was about 4.5 lbs and tooo much creep. So tore it apart and did the trigger job today. It now breaks clean at 44 oz. Much better.It was already adjusted all the way C.Clockwise right out of the box.Overtravel off as well. All the screws hardly tightened? Scope bases very loose. Tang screw finger tight? Anyway rings trued and lapped, everything torqued and ready for break in. This thing is pushing 8 lbs scoped, a Ruger American here weighed 5/8 lb less than Venture? Bolt in The T/C weighes 1 lb!!! American bolt is 4oz less but interestingly both bolts slid Into the other gun! I think it's ready to see if it will shoot? More later.
Had read ALOT of folks saying their stocks touching the barrel out on front of stocks on the left side? Sure enough this had same problem, most are removing material out on forend to correct that and relieve pressure against the
Barrel, we were able to center the barrel without doing that. Clips need to be dressed off where plastic seams come together, pretty rough. If this thing will shoot I am definitely going to flute this bolt as deep as possible to get rid of some of the weight. Still need to tweak the safety spring it's too stiff and because the indent is not worn at all it goes over center a bit to hard for me.
Overall I like it, so we will see how good it shoots. (y)

Here is the hows it shoot report:
It shoots exactly twice as good at 300 yds as my old Ruger Mark II..........that shot 3" plus groups, this shoots considerably better than that.
110fps faster than the Ruger did. 22" vs 20". That seams too much for 2" ......but that is what the chrony says?
I am seeing almost identical groups to the Tikka T3's I bought last year. :grin:

That's pretty good E.

Sounds like it'll work well for you. Can't beat 1.5 at 300.. Sounds like the little bit of work you did was worth the time.

What load are you shooting through it?

Back