Thoughts on a cheap truck gun

Brinky72

Beginner
Jan 25, 2019
I’m kicking around the idea of picking up a cheap 6.5 Creedmoor. I’m thinking of either a Ruger American or Savage something or another. I want an accurate,durabl, no frills 6.5 Creedmoor. Michigan allows a.269” bore or smaller centerfire for night time predator hunting and I have good luck with the Creedmoor in the past. Looking for something around the $500 mark. I know Savage offers an Axis,11 and 110 around that price point depending on sales.

Brinky72":99l9yf04 said:
I’m kicking around the idea of picking up a cheap 6.5 Creedmoor. I’m thinking of either a Ruger American or Savage something or another. I want an accurate,durabl, no frills 6.5 Creedmoor. Michigan allows a.269” bore or smaller centerfire for night time predator hunting and I have good luck with the Creedmoor in the past. Looking for something around the $500 mark. I know Savage offers an Axis,11 and 110 around that price point depending on sales.

Brinky, have you thought of finding one of them cheap 243 Rem 308's and doing a Remage barrel on it? I know WalMart blows them out for under 250 bucks in a bunch of places and sometimes less. Adding a quality Criterion barrel from NSS might net you a real decent rifle that you could tinker and monkey around with as you see fit. Or you could just shoot the rifling out of it, as is too..

The American's are decent rifles, but the magazines tend to give me fits and the stocks aren't anything to love most of the time either.

I could also see what gunbroker has to offer in 243 in an older 700. I have dies and brass for 243.

SJB358":3add7sb9 said:
The American's are decent rifles, but the magazines tend to give me fits and the stocks aren't anything to love most of the time either.

I agree with SBJ for their flush rotary mags. if you look at the predator model they have some with AI style mags that may be better. They also come with a threaded barrel and have proven to be accurate.

I'd get an older BDL 700 in a 243 if that's what you're after in the $500 range. Blow the doors off a cheap ruger or savage...All you need for a truck/varmint rifle

I have an Axis II XP and a Ruger ranch in 223. They are both incredibly accurate, the stocks suck, the actions are not bad but not superb, both of the triggers are fantastic. The action of the RAR is a little better than the Axis. If I wanted a beater I would just get an Axis hardwood with the weaver package when they have the 50 dollar rebate. I think that would be the best of both worlds. I put a Boyds stock on my 223 Axis but it shot the same with the tupperware stock. If you wanted to spend a little more I would do the Savage 111 trophy hunter with a Nikon. I have yet to own or see a Savage that was not accurate. My personal preference for your needs would be a .243 as well.

Attachments

• IMG_5576.jpg
    IMG_5576.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 286
Back