Three Remingtons at 300 yds

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
A day at the range to help a good friend, who at 78 years old, finds himself having a tough time shooting his .30-06 rifle. He asked me about lighter-recoiling rifles, so... We tried a few!

First up was the 6mm Remington, a 40+ year old rifle that still shoots very well. His first shot was a solid hit on the steel silhouette with a 100 gr Nosler Partition loaded to 3,000 fps via RL-22. He hadn't shot as far as 300 yards in decades... Nor had he ever shot any center-fire rifle that kicks as lightly as a 6mm Rem.

We had the rifle range to ourselves today, and I hauled out all three of my light-recoiling Remingtons: 6mm Rem 700 BDL, .25-06 700 CDL, and the .308 Win "Green Machine." Both of us enjoyed ringing the steel at 300 yds!

Some of my last shots for the day were with the 100 gr Barnes TSX bullets I'd loaded for the .25-06 several years ago. At 3340 fps, they're fast, flat and accurate. It's also easy to spot the impact of the Barnes, compared to other bullets that hit the AR-500 armor target.

The Barnes made that nice copper-colored hit in the A-Zone of my target.

I know from experience that it also left a pretty good coppery deposit in the bore of that rifle. Sigh...

It was a great afternoon, on the Marine Corps Birthday!

Guy

The older I grow, the more I appreciate cartridges I thought I outgrew many years ago. Good post, Guy.

Thanks Guy for the thread & photos. I hope your friend has found something that he is going to be able to enjoy shooting.

Blessings,
Dan

Looks like a nice day at the range with 3 fine guns. I would be happy to run any of those 3 if I was right handed.

Thanks all. Hard to say what he's going to end up with. He liked both the 6mm and the .25-06, but did comment that the .25-06 smacked his shoulder pretty sharply.

I think that whatever he gets, it's going to end up with a muzzle brake to tame the recoil.

Guy

Back