Three weeks to bear season!

Yeah, well. Who knows? My bear & deer hunting area is all on fire.

80+ homes destroyed and 265 square miles burned now.

Not sure this bear season is going to see me afield. Not early anyway, with it still hot & burning out there.

Guy

Hate to hear that, Guy. I knew fires were burning in your AO, but hoped they weren't burning your immediate hunting area. Several of our normal hunting areas are burning. Fortunately, we can move another direction.

Very sorry to hear that for this season Guy but am inclined to think subsequent seasons will benefit.

I hope you guys are not affected by the fires. Hope it will slow down and cease quickly.

On another note.. Bears.. Bears.. Bears.... Saw three of these bad boys today while picking huckleberrys near Mt. Spokane. Of course they were on the Washington side..

Good luck when you get out there Guy!!

WM

Sorry to hear that Guy, I sure hope things work out for the best for everyone,
Lou

got this visitor to my camera. second time this year. not much to him maybe go 150. but will be smoked bear hams in freezer if I get the chance.

Attachments

• SUNP0023.JPG
    SUNP0023.JPG
    557.8 KB · Views: 473
Raining here this morning. Thankfully.

Perhaps bear hunting will happen soon... Rifle is ready.

My first bear I shot on a stalk in Northern Alberta. I hit him with a 165 Nosler Partition as he was quartering away. The bullet penetrated the hind quarter, travelled the spine, through the base of his neck and he dropped like a stone. The bullet was recovered from his nasal cavity when we were boiling out the skulls.
Since that day there has only been one bullet for me, at least when it comes to bears. Still have the bullet and the skull...somewhere in my boxes.

sassafras is what I use for cover up since it grows everywhere I hunt. I try to keep scents all natural. Vanilla extract will kill the human scent also and was used by men and women in the old days as deodorant.

Hi Guy, any updates on your Bear hunt :?:

I'm leaving for my hunt 3 weeks from today,
Lou

High of 104 is predicted today. It's still mighty hot for bear hunting, and many of my local hunting areas are closed due to the still ongoing wildfires.

Hunting is on hold for now.

I did get up into the hills a couple of times already in the evening, binos, bear tag & rifle. But I think the heat has made them pretty much nocturnal. We have been seeing quite a few elk and mule deer in the evenings, no bear yet.

Of course my bicycle buddies spotted a bear out in a wheat field at 10:00 in the morning. Say what?

Yeah, bear hunting hasn't panned out yet, but then again I haven't made a real organized effort yet either. I'm not all that fond of the 100+ degree temps and hunting.

*Interestingly, the rifle with me, was the .30-06 Rem 700 CDL. 165 gr Nosler Partitions @ 2850 fps, zero at 200 yds with the good old 2-7x Redfield. Not sure why the .375 stayed home, but the Remington is the only rifle afield so far this season.

Guy

Guy Miner":3sa71lo8 said:
I think the heat has made them pretty much nocturnal...

I'm not all that fond of the 100+ degree temps and hunting...

Not sure why the .375 stayed home, but the Remington is the only rifle afield so far this season.

Guy

No doubt the heat would make the bruins nocturnal. I wouldn't like going out in the fur coat in 100 degree temperatures. You could do far worse than to be carrying a 30-06 afield. You know it produces when you need it.

DrMike":paaa1wp6 said:
Guy Miner":paaa1wp6 said:
I think the heat has made them pretty much nocturnal...

I'm not all that fond of the 100+ degree temps and hunting...

Not sure why the .375 stayed home, but the Remington is the only rifle afield so far this season.

Guy

No doubt the heat would make the bruins nocturnal. I wouldn't like going out in the fur coat in 100 degree temperatures. You could do far worse than to be carrying a 30-06 afield. You know it produces when you need it.

Yup, that's for sure!..That's mighty hot for hunting, I hope things pan out for you Guy :)

Thanks!

Bear would make a nice "extra" this year, but the focus is on mule deer, pronghorn and elk...

Still, if we manage to come across a good looking bear... John and I each have bear tags!

Best of luck to all you bear hunters!

Guy

We leave Thursday AM, and bear season in Ontario starts on Friday. Per the outfitter the odds of one of the 3 of us having a bear on the ground the first night is very high.

Attached is a photo of the one that is visiting Dad's stand. I have several more of him.

Attachments

• black bear dads stand.JPG
    black bear dads stand.JPG
    769.4 KB · Views: 408
Good looking bruin; he looks to be in fine shape. Best wishes for every success in your hunt.

Nice looking Bear, you well do just fine here in Ontario :) ..I'm guessing your hunting close to the Temagami area?
Lou

Back