Thumblers tumbler

Russ,

Together with the web site, I'm almost convinced to spring for the Thumbler. I've looked at them before, but didn't spring for them. It all looks quite interesting, however.

Same here Mike. I like the way it works more than the sonic cleaners and it takes the places of having dusty and dirty media in the air in my reloading room. Scotty

Scotty, I have a buddy that uses a vibratory tumbler and he's constantly complaining about the time involved for cleaning brass. The Thumbler's is a good investment and I can vouch that it lasts for a long time. I worked in a shop that used s/s pellets and liquid for cleaning and it was very efficient. Remember thumblers will work with both wet and dry media. I know there are scources that discourage the use of Brasso in tumbler media but I've used it for years in corn cob media in my tumbler and the brass also turns out very well. Actually you can tumble rocks in the Tumbler's with the right media.

BRM, it really looks like a great piece of gear. The next piece of gear for me has to be an electronic powder scale/dispenser and after that, maybe some kind of trimming system. After those are taken care of, I would look at that tumbler. I like it alot. No cleaning primer pockets would save me a ton of time. Scotty

BRM,

I believe the Thumbler was originally manufactured for gem polishing. It was adapted by hand loaders. The primary drawback that I see is the time required for polishing brass. However, with a bit of planning, I don't see this as prohibitive or problematic. I was impressed in the video by how quiet it was.

I use a large ultrasonic jewelry cleaner with just water. Cleans inside cases and primer pockets very well.

OK, I just bought a new McMillan stock, so it will be a while, but I'm definitely going to have to get one of these!

BK":1pur6w5r said:
OK, I just bought a new McMillan stock, so it will be a while, but I'm definitely going to have to get one of these!

I knew you would! Scotty :p

Looks like it's on my priority list!!! Should work great with citric acid, which cleans well and works great for passivating brass.

beretzs":3i72nnym said:
BK":3i72nnym said:

Damn, am I that predictable? Wait, don't answer that.

Here's a tough one for you, name the mix!

BK":2afw1ukb said:
beretzs":2afw1ukb said:
BK":2afw1ukb said:

Damn, am I that predictable? Wait, don't answer that.

Here's a tough one for you, name the mix!

Does it have purple? :shock: I'm trying to work the odds! Scotty

Sort of a reverse of this one, stolen from another board:
DSC_0753.jpg

BK":2j5sppzq said:
I used to have a Thumblers Tumbler, and I pretty much wore it out. Ended up wasting the o-ring on the barrel about the same time I fried the motor. Not criticizing the product, as I ran it A LOT!

Just to be clear, mine was for regular corn cob/walnut media.

Gorgeous rifle! Back on the tumbler topic (sort of) - I got bored waiting for an ultrasonic cleaner to arrive. So I made a plain blade with a 3/16" hole in it for my variable speed saber saw. Clamped the saw sideways on a 2x8; put a tight-fitting plastic coffee can inside a stainless bowl; attached little bungee cords to the bowl from the saw on one side and to a raised eye- bolt on the other. After some trial and error adjustment, voila! Variable speed vibratory cleaner!! The speed can be adjusted to get the max movement out of the brass, and it does vary with the type of brass, how many pieces, etc. I never have to leave brass in it more than 30 minutes. I will now attempt a rotating tumbler, so I can stay on topic :lol:

Back