Tikka 7mm -08

NaStY5000

Beginner
Jan 24, 2008
So i bought a new toy the other day and have a few questions. What are the pro's and con's to reforming 308 brass to work in my 7mm - 08 ?

I bought a crony as well finally and am hoping this will help me with all my loading needs.

I have also heard that 140grain accubonds are the bullet of choice for med size game. Any suggestions?

NaStY5000

Congratulations on the new "toys". :wink:
The 7mm-08 is a great round for both target shooting and hunting.
Its not too much trouble to run 308 Win brass into the sizer die but be careful if you also shoot 308 Win that you don't get loaded ammo mixed up with the same head stamp.
If it were me, I would just get 7mm-08 head stamped brass.

The 140 gr bullets are a good weight and the 140 gr AB is an excellent all around bullet. Check with Shooters Pro Shop for factory seconds and save some money.
Good powders to consider would include RL19, IMR4350, and Varget.

Let us know how she shoots.

JD338

Thanks for the advice. I wont have any problems mixing up brass as i don't shoot a 308 (yet) and would be hard "pressed" putting a 30 cal bullet in a 7mm hole.

I would love to be in a position to buy factory seconds, but i live in Canada and cant import bullets myself. I might try that other site that does import to see if it is all good.

I was hoping to try imr4831 first as i have 3lbs of it from my stint with the 300 win mag.

I didn't realize you are in Canada.

I think IMR4831 will be a little too slow in your 7mm-08 with the 140 gr bullets.

JD338

Well then 4350 it is. Will post my results when i can...

Thanks for the input......

Don't discount the 120 grain Ballistic Tips. I have used them for many years with great success on Michigan Whitetails. Faster with less recoil is a winning combination in a lightweight rifle; and I got tremendous accuracy with it. Enjoy your new purchase!

+1 with most of the above......and congrats on your new purchase !
I have a 7-08 that loves IMR-4350 and anything from 120 gr b-tips to 150 gr b-tips. They are very accurate and not too finicky when it comes to loading for them.
Let us know how it shoots .....

I had great luck with 120 BT's and reloder 19. 3100 fps and kills like heck. Never recovered one either.

POP, how much RL19 are you using, and how long is your barrel?

I have been messing with those 120 BT's. Fun!! Very accurate and they do great at long range too.

I'm using RL15 though. I do have some RL19 around the place.

-jeff

Savage (stevens) 200 22" barrel. Over 3000 fps

45/gr Varget

or

50 gr RL/19

Both under MOA at 100 yards.

Thanks. I'll try that!!

I was shooting it today. When compared to my lightweight .325 WSM, and my 338 WM, it's like a pop gun! Totally fun. Those little 120's hang right in there out to my 450-yard target, too.

-jeff

I'd like to try some Varget out of mine, just hard to mess with something that works.....I get the same results with the 150's
Shooting003.jpg

Antelope_Sniper:Very nice Power. I don't care what anyone says, the 7mm-08 is just a nice little round

+1 on that.

Bought myself a chrony and was very disappointed in what i saw.
Used nosler book and started from the bottom of the scale and worked my way up. Used imr4350 powder and nosler 140grain AccuBond
42grains about 2200 fps
46grains about 2400 fps
factory federal vital shok 2600 fps 140grain bt

I was really hoping for around 2800 to 3000 with hand loads.
I see some have gone up too 48grains of imr4350 but dont have the experience to know what to look for exactly. On 46grain hand load there wasnt any splitting of cases or any bulged or flattened primers. Whats your thoughts?

A couple of things: I assume you are not using a crimp on your handloads. A taper crimp, even a mild one, will help the pressure build and an increase in velocity (and sometimes accuracy) will result. In lieu of crimping, since pressure=velocity=pressure and you are at the low end of the velocity scale you can bet you are at the low end of the pressure scale too. I'd keep working the load up in small increments until I found something better. If you don't get what you want by working up the charge for that particular powder you will have to change powder. I have lots of partial one pound canisters of powder that didn't work out for the intended purpose. Sometimes I find a different use for it but never regret having it on hand.

I'd keep going up by 1/2 grain incriments until my powder charge was closer to book max. Hodgdon' list 47gr as max for that combo.

You might try either W-760 or H-414 with mag primers. You should be able to safely and easily work up to the 47.5-48 gr range. You won't be disappointed in your velocity or accuracy.

Back