<Tikka T3 Lite >

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
I have been hearing so many great things about this little Tikka it would be nice to hear from any members on here that actually own one and how they compare it to their American rifles in all ways ??? Everyone that has one just raves about them.................... so lets hear it ???

Very light
very smooth
very very accurate.... As long as you do not mind the plastics

I do not.

I don't own one, but I played with one for a little bit the other day (a .300 WSM, if that matters). Very smooth. I don't mind the plastic, but that magazine sticking out the bottom of the stock might be a problem for me.

I've handled a number of them over the years, though I've never had the opportunity to shoot one. Try are smooth and light, for certain. My complaint is not the plastics. My issue is that for some reason, the darn things just don't feel right when I shoulder them. Something about the stock design combined with the overall gun dimensions or something, I'm not really sure. I just know when I've shouldered one, it's always felt like I was shouldering a fish - just on the verge of isinglass control and not at all comfortable. Plenty of folks love them.

Earl,

I've shot a score of more of the T3s. I don't recall a single rifle that didn't shoot very well. The action was smooth and lockup was quick. They are a fine rifle; I wouldn't be ashamed to tote one in these woods.

I've got one in .300WSM...great shooting rifle that has held up pretty well.

The amount of plastic is somewhat disconcerting but not a deal breaker considering the price tag these go for- easily the best budget rifle on the market.

35, I currently own 7 of the Lites, 2 Big boars, and 2 Varmints. In my opinion, they are one of the best values on the market along with the Marlin XL/XS-7's.

All of mine have been good shooters except for one in 338 Federal that I simply couldn't get to shoot no matter what combination of bullets/power/OAL I tried.

I personally don't have a problem with the stocks as they fit me well and have had no durability issues in any way.

Ron

My brother's wife bought him one in 7mm Rem Mag for Christmas a couple of years ago... with 120 NBTs stoked with RE17 it would only shoot about an inch.... so, I walked out to the 300 yard berm and got the target, moved it back to 100 yards... and wouldn't you know... it turned into a sub-half inch gun!

For the money... they're tough to beat... though they do use a lot of plastic on them.

I own a T3 lite in .223 that I won in a raffle at a Delta Waterfowl banquet.
It has a 22 inch 1/8 twist barrel on it.
(I'm the chapter VP first thing I'd ever won in 6 years on the committee)

At first I was sorely disapointed in the rifle.
It is light, very handy and had a trigger that broke like glass right out of the box.
Shooting 27 grs of BLC2 and 55 gr Rem FMJs it shot about 2 inch groups.
I tried 64 gr Winchester power points over 25 grs of BLC2 with about the same results.
Crappy steel case Russian 55 gr FMJs about the same.
75 Gr Hornady Amax's it looked like I was shooting a shotgun at the target board. 4-6 inch groups.

A buddy gave me a handful of 65 gr Sierra Gamekings which I loaded with 27 grs of BLC2 and holy mackerel kingfish this thing shoots!
Last 4 out of a 5 round group i could cover with the end of a cigarette butt.
55 gr SGKs same result.

Have acquired some 55 gr NBTs and loaded some with Varget and some with BLC2, awaiting range trip.

I killed a deer with the gun end of Nov.
145 yard headshot with a 65 gr SGK.
DRT
IT SHOOTS !!!!

Howard

Yeah, Howard, the .223 is one that interests me, nice to have a fast twist option in a factory gun.

I was interested in a SS T3 in 6.5-55 that I saw in a shop, found out a little later that Tikka halted importation of the Swede and went back and sure enough it was gone. Rats!

They're light to carry and accurate. My 270 wsm shot 130 gr. accubonds at 3330 fps in under an inch. I think the biggest problem is that they just don't look like they ought to shoot that good. I do wish there was an after market wood stock available but then they would probably weigh a pound or so heavier. They feel kind of like a pellet rifle but shoot like real gun. IMO
Greg

Tikka catalogs a wooden stock and I have seen them in stock with (walnut) stocked "Hunter" model Tikka T-3's. They are exactly the same as the standard T-3 and do cost a few bucks more because of good quality wood. The Hunter models that I have seen were similar in appearance to the Sako Model 85 with the same checkering patterns and stock shape.

WYcoyote":1zpxwe0h said:
I was interested in a SS T3 in 6.5-55 that I saw in a shop, found out a little later that Tikka halted importation of the Swede and went back and sure enough it was gone. Rats!

Bummer. That would have been a cool rifle!

I just can't warm up to it. I handled one, and it was smooth and have an excellent accuracy reputation. But it felt like it was missing something--soul, character, whatever.

Would I hunt with one? Sure. Would I buy one? No.

joelkdouglas":2uzrktn2 said:
I just can't warm up to it. I handled one, and it was smooth and have an excellent accuracy reputation. But it felt like it was missing something--soul, character, whatever.

Would I hunt with one? Sure. Would I buy one? No.

I am kinda with you Joel. I know they are great rifles, like a Savage, but they don't trip my trigger exactly. I am kinda biased though.

I have 2 and love them. I am getting old and the light weight, fast handling(even for an old guy),great fit and super accuracy says most of it. I have one in 6.5X55 and it is my baby but my daughter wants to lay claim to it. I got another in 7mm-08 and it is great also.
I also like the fact in the 6.5X55 I have 130gr Scirocco II bullets doing 3000FPS and they print the same spot as Nosler 140gr PAR bullets I load to max.
In the 7mm-08 I have 120gr Nosler BT and 140gr Nosler PAR shooting to the same point with max loads. This makes it easy to change ammo for different uses and no re-zeroing the rifles.
They also try to but everything into the same hole---Super accurate rifles.

I've owned 4, a 270 WSM that shot one ROUND hole 4 shot groups with WW 130 BST's - a 7mm Mag superlight that hasn't given me any 1/2" groups as yet but also has failed to shoot anything outside of 1" (at least 15 different test loads) - a 308 superlight that I have not shot yet AND a SS 338 win mag that I dumped because it would not group ANYTHING worth a darn - BTW, the "plastic" isn't ... it is polymeric fiber and tough as buffalo leather (except for the bolt shroud which is a POC ) I REALLY like them and will continue to use them and ... I didn't mention the dozen others I've procurred for acquaintences that all shoot extraordinarily well

Back