Tikka t3 or Rem 700 SPS

rmarshall

Handloader
Mar 10, 2010
Ok all i'm looking at a new rifle, while I love the silky smooth action and the triggers on the tikka, I worry about the composite trigger guard, bolt shroud, and clip, am a I worried for no reason or just go for a Rem 700 and you can do just about any thing with them. Has any experienced any problems with the tikka and its plastic parts? thanks

Tikkas are well-built with quality materials. They hold up well to heavy use in the field. They are a good buy, in my estimate.

Being a Tikka and Sako owner myself, I'd go with the Tikka hands down :) ..don't let the so called (plastic parts) fool you, they are a tough rifle, and accuracy is like a custom rifle to boot!

Good luck on your choice (y)..not to mention the silky smooth bolt, and the triggers break like glass :)

Lou

If you choose the tikka do you stay with factory rings or get something else, thanks for the replies guys

rmarshall":3e26fe4w said:
If you choose the tikka do you stay with factory rings or get something else, thanks for the replies guys

Hi Marshall, there's many options for scope mounts, I use the Sako/Tikka opti loc rings and bases on my rifles, I just like this system, it works great for me :)

Lou

With my tikka I got a stainless bolt shroud for it. Off all the plastic parts its that bolt shroud that bothers me most. While rare I have seen a couple of the shatter. That and stocks cracking due to pathetic excuse for a recoil lug on wood stocked models.

They also now make good aftermarket accessories to fix the perceived plastic short comings.

Metal magazines and trigger guards, replacement bolt shrouds, titanium recoil lugs, and better stocks. Talley lightweights are great mounts, the factories work but the galleys are better, especially if you go a size larger and run a mill over the bottom so they sit over the rail. They are starting to compete with Remington's in the accessories department.

The biggest thing the tikka have going for them is excellent barrels, almost all of them will drive tacks and come with decent triggers.

If I was going to buy one of these rifles and use it without too much alteration I think the tikka would definitely get the nod. The modularity of parts make it simple to eork on and the damn thing just shoot better than your standard rem 700.

Here is my tikka 1-8 223 super lite fluted with stainless shroud, and oversized knob. It's a very accurate rifle.

a3240dcd6358e68cbaf81c152822ed0f.jpg

Same rifle before aftermarket shroud and bolt knob

d324fa6df1d73a8975fd388d69791767.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get the Tikka. I have two I bought used, though one looked near new. They both shoot sub half inch, or right at half inch consistently.

I have replaced the recoil pad on my 06. I will replace the recoil lug on that one as well. The triggers on both guns I have are fantastic. I don't worry about the plastic parts at all. Even the plastic stock on my 308 is pretty stiff, though I'm thinking about replacing it with a B/C M40 or a Boyds varmit/target style stock.

You can't go wrong either way, but I am pretty biased towards Tikka

Here's my T3 hunter stainless fluted 300 win mag during barrel break in, it's a tack driver right out of the box :)

Lou

...I'd definitely go w/ the Tikka...

...200yd. cold bore check...

...practice loads...

...hunting loads...

The M700 SPS is an entry level model and not close to a Tikka.

JD338

If you want a project, get a 700.

If you want to shoot and hunt, get a Tikka.

You might get a 700 that shoots as-is, you will get a Tikka that shoots as-is. Every one of the things I messed with just shot lights out.

Man guys it's overwhelmingly in favor of the tikka, I guess if I don't follow suit I would be a fool! I guess I had better find one and buy it. I really would like the laminate stainless, they seem pretty hard to find, I guess I'll just jump and get one! Thanks

I bought a Tikka Stainless lite in .308 back in '07 or '08. For awhile I anguished about the plastic looking parts and durability. I've long since stopped thinking about that.
I bought this rifle during hunting season and put a Zeiss Conquest 3X9 right into the factory aluminum rings. Same scope is still in the same rings with no problems at all. I'm not sure how they would hold a scope with a hard kickin cartridge though.
This is now my main hunting rifle. Accurate, light and just a real pleasure to shoulder and shoot.
I love my old M700 but I'd buy a Tikka any day over a new 700SPS.

Back