time to buy an annealer, which one?

Congrats Tack. You'll be pleased. If i can help you with set up and timing pm me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drakehammer":228hhtrm said:
Congrats Tack. You'll be pleased. If i can help you with set up and timing pm me.

Sure thing, thanks Drake. (y)

I also have a 6.5 x 284 with a tight neck chamber and brass necks are turned to .286" and I assume dwell time will be less than standard 6.5 x 284 brass.

Absolutely will. If you ask David, owner of Benchsource, he will tell you under-annealing is better than over annealing. If you see Orange, your dwell is too long. We had many discussions over lunch and dinner over a couple of bench rest seasons. I'll tell you everything he told me. And you'll enjoy getting better life out of those turned necks for sure.

Drake, spoke to Donna Krag from Benchsource and she was so sweet, helpful and very informative over the phone and sent lots of information / links thru emails and mentioned David and said very good things about him helping out customers and to give him a call if any issues arises or questions that needs answered. Got am email that I will have it delivered to my door on Thursday. Two day shipping, wow.

Jimbires, yes I intend to do that, hopefully see some range brass that I can practice with before using mine.

TackDriver284":oslw8kvi said:
Drake, spoke to Donna Krag from Benchsource and she was so sweet, helpful and very informative over the phone and sent lots of information / links thru emails and mentioned David and said very good things about him helping out customers and to give him a call if any issues arises or questions that needs answered. Got am email that I will have it delivered to my door on Thursday. Two day shipping, wow.

Jimbires, yes I intend to do that, hopefully see some range brass that I can practice with before using mine.
Thats great. You'll be pleased. How many different cartridges will you use it for? Just so you know, we anneal every time the brass is fired.

i bit the big one and bought an AMP induction annealer. it cost right at $900. the first thing i noticed was that seating was made easier. the annealed case neck is softened up and stretches noticeably easier. i am not sure how you quantitatively tell that the thing is working exactly as it should because there is nothing to actually measure, but it does make seating easier and it seems to have had a positive effect on my group sizes....not a huge amount, but it's hard to do any one thing that makes a huge difference. but it is noticeable.

the manufacturer is in New Zealand. i have had several contacts with them and they are like no other firearms related company that i have dealt with. the US contact for them relays all calls and they call back. i suppose you could call New Zealand directly though i have never chosen to do so. anyway, i have never waited any significant time before i got a call back from the owner. he always talks to me as though he has nothing better to do than to address my concern.

they have set up a chart that has every imaginable cartridge on it and every imaginable manufacturer. if your cartridge or manufacturer is not on the chart you send them 6 cases and they test them and send you the appropriate program to use. the machine employs several programs which are specific to cartridge and manufacturer. programs are selected using a button on the face of the machine. this program selection allows the machine to properly anneal different hardnesses of brass. it does this by ensuring exposure for the exact same time and the exact same heat level for each case....uniformity is a good thing. also, since it is an induction machine there is no flame, hence no propane or other fuel required to operate. it plugs directly into any 120v outlet.

so....while this set up is expensive to get started up, it is an absolute breeze to operate. i have tried other methods in the past and always wondered how uniform my results were. when i saw this i just happened to have the $$ on hand so i snatched it up. absolutely no regrets.

[/quote]Thats great. You'll be pleased. How many different cartridges will you use it for? Just so you know, we anneal every time the brass is fired[/quote]

I have about 8 calibers that I like to anneal. Smallest is 6BR up to .300 Winny. Yes, I heard from Donna Krag that best results is to anneal every firing.

I plan to adjust the height of each torchheads with washers for different calibers and write down the data on how many washers is used for a specific caliber on an index card and tape them to the annealer. I will add washers on the rod and put the torchhead bracket over the washers and line up the flame at the neck / shoulder junction so when I change calibers to anneal, I just check my data and count my washers and set them up. Thought it would be a great idea instead of wasting time setting them up each time I switch calibers.

TackDriver284":2xbfhe2w said:
I plan to adjust the height of each torchheads with washers for different calibers and write down the data on how many washers is used for a specific caliber on an index card and tape them to the annealer. I will add washers on the rod and put the torchhead bracket over the washers and line up the flame at the neck / shoulder junction so when I change calibers to anneal, I just check my data and count my washers and set them up. Thought it would be a great idea instead of wasting time setting them up each time I switch calibers.

If you actually get this to work, please take photos and post them.

I've tried various methods to replicate my settings, and none of them seem to work.
As a result, I just keep several junk pieces of brass in each caliber, and run them through when testing. It also helps to batch similar cases (270/30-06, 7mmWby/7mm Rem, 300Wby/340Wby) right after each other so that I don't have to change anything.

Thats great. You'll be pleased. How many different cartridges will you use it for? Just so you know, we anneal every time the brass is fired[/quote]

I have about 8 calibers that I like to anneal. Smallest is 6BR up to .300 Winny. Yes, I heard from Donna Krag that best results is to anneal every firing.

I plan to adjust the height of each torchheads with washers for different calibers and write down the data on how many washers is used for a specific caliber on an index card and tape them to the annealer. I will add washers on the rod and put the torchhead bracket over the washers and line up the flame at the neck / shoulder junction so when I change calibers to anneal, I just check my data and count my washers and set them up. Thought it would be a great idea instead of wasting time setting them up each time I switch calibers.[/quote]

I'd say the washers will work . on my annealer the torch arm is on a threaded rod . I count turns to get me where I need to be .

Back