Time to say goodbye

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Lilly has reached 15 years old and I think it’s time to show her some mercy and let the vet put her to sleep. She’s lost almost all vision and hearing, but that’s not anything of concern. She has really bad arthritis and is on constant pain and she can’t never seem to get comfortable. We’ve tried every OTC arthritis supplement for dogs, and the RX’s the vet wrote, but in all reality at this point she’d need to be drugged and unconscious to get any relief. Also she can no longer hold her bladder. But the happy: she was always the sweetest dog and took to training like a champ. Loved to be out busting the bushes flushing up whatever was in there, and kept those pesky deer at the edge of the yard. Never was a “proper” hunting dog, nor did I ever attempt to make her one. Anytime someone she didn’t know was on the house, she positioned herself between them and the kids/grandkids. When the grand baby would cry in the crib, she find my wife and let her know the thing was making noise again 😉. Also she was the master of the “please, sir, may I have some more” look. More than once I had to surrender my last cookie or chip when she brought out that look. Never did bother to find out what she was mixed with, and it honestly didn’t matter. My neighbor said he wouldn’t have a dog that wasn’t for hunting, guarding, or some other working dog job. I said she’s a highly trained giraffe dog, you’ll never see one around here. She keeps them run off.

Attachments

• 299C121F-1377-42F5-80D6-320CEB9CDB08.jpeg
    299C121F-1377-42F5-80D6-320CEB9CDB08.jpeg
    498.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 40445C7D-3FA0-4B2A-9224-59B7ABF590F9.jpeg
    40445C7D-3FA0-4B2A-9224-59B7ABF590F9.jpeg
    407.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 10DA07A7-FF73-48E0-8A6A-BD3864BD22B7.jpeg
    10DA07A7-FF73-48E0-8A6A-BD3864BD22B7.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 13AC538E-BB6D-418D-857E-4AD2CE82BA3E.jpeg
    13AC538E-BB6D-418D-857E-4AD2CE82BA3E.jpeg
    481 KB · Views: 21
  • F6A3442E-FB54-4D27-B06A-702491E8CB58.jpeg
    F6A3442E-FB54-4D27-B06A-702491E8CB58.jpeg
    647.9 KB · Views: 18
Man's best friend that gives their all to the last. More family than dog and only wants to be loved and give more then they receive.
Had one that I saved from being put down by a shelter because he growled when you stopped at his kennel. Not a thing wrong with him except he hated the kennel, once free he was the happiest dog in the world and showed his love. That dog would protect you and love you to the end and never ask why.
As the song goes Why don't you love me more than my dog does.
Sorry for your lose.

Man's best friend that gives their all to the last. More family than dog and only wants to be loved and give more then they receive.
Had one that I saved from being put down by a shelter because he growled when you stopped at his kennel. Not a thing wrong with him except he hated the kennel, once free he was the happiest dog in the world and showed his love. That dog would protect you and love you to the end and never ask why.
As the song goes Why don't you love me more than my dog does.
Sorry for your lose.
If you notice in one of the pics there is a white dog. Nobody wanted her because she is mixed with Pit. But we've had her 7 years ,and she is a very humble and gentle dog. Even lets the cat push her around (to a point)

I feel for you Hunter,
Just lastnight we put ours down. He was loosing the battle with an aggressive bone cancer over the past couple months. He was the first dog the wife and daughters have had. He was a great dog with a great heart and smile all the way to the end. He was 10 and it was extremely hard to watch him go from activity running jumping and playing to hobbling on 3 legs, having to be carried up stairs, not eating and just laying moaning after being too active while on 3 different meds. All in under 2 months. He will greatly be missed and its been a weird morning in the house without him here.

Attachments

• 20210604_070812.jpg
    20210604_070812.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 15
I feel for you Hunter,
Just lastnight we put ours down. He was loosing the battle with an aggressive bone cancer over the past couple months. He was the first dog the wife and daughters have had. He was a great dog with a great heart and smile all the way to the end. He was 10 and it was extremely hard to watch him go from activity running jumping and playing to hobbling on 3 legs, having to be carried up stairs, not eating and just laying moaning after being too active while on 3 different meds. All in under 2 months. He will greatly be missed and its been a weird morning in the house without him here.
Sorry. Yes they do tend to become more than pets

Tough decision. I've been there a couple of times and its a very difficult thing to do. Cherish the good memories and know your decision is done with love and compassion.

JD338

Sorry man. It sucks. Too many times over the years and too many good dogs. They don't live long enough. I don't put my personal stuff on here much but I just put down a 15 yr old good hunting dog about a month back.

Makes a person almost upset at themselves that they can get that attached to something they know isn't gonna last, but I still move onto another one. It's rough, but it does get better.

Hunter, Shade and Slim- So sorry for the losses. I can no longer care for a Dog, the way they should be. Growing up I always had one - sometimes three or four if you count Dads multiple Shorthairs and an Irish. Have been where you are - sometimes you just know its the best thing to do. I am convinced that God put the good ones on this earth to show us what unconditional love should look like. And the stubborn ones to help teach us how. Dangit, now I cant see the screen anymore...CL

Attachments

• 1.2.18 677.JPG
    1.2.18 677.JPG
    355.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 1.2.18 675.JPG
    1.2.18 675.JPG
    306.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 1.2.18 671.JPG
    1.2.18 671.JPG
    291 KB · Views: 3
  • 1.2.18 663.JPG
    1.2.18 663.JPG
    251.6 KB · Views: 3
1 of the toughest decision's to make in life. Had to make it 3 times now and it never get's easier. Sorry for your loses guy's. No matter how bad of day your having they are always there to cheer you up. They just get it. They're smarter than a lot of people.

Denise had an old basset hound when we met . a few years go by and he is getting in bad shape . we take him to the veterinarian the vet says ; " who are you keeping him alive for you or him . don't be selfish , he is ready . " it's still a hard thing to do , but it made it easier .

Agree with the above 2 comments. It's a good thing to do everything you know to do prior, but when it's obvious what's coming it does no good to prolong the inevitable.

I dug the hole up in the woods on a Thursday because I knew what was coming. Close to 3 hrs to dig a 2'x3'x2' hole in roots and rocks, but that's okay, digging a hole for a good dog should be difficult, I didn't mind. By Saturday it was time.........a week prior to that he had been fine. Dropping weight like a rock, losing his strength and mobility and had a smell to him the last 2 days. Suspect he was full of cancer. Difficult as it was I done him a favor before it got worse. I done the right thing for him. Way easier for him than it was for me.

Back