Took My Daughters Hunting

pre6422hornet

Handloader
Jan 24, 2012
Well I have been contemplating this for a while, and even though my oldest daughter is turning 5 in 15 days, but we took advantage of the mild weather and went deer hunting today.

Good news is her younger sister wanted to come as well. :D

I thought the late rifle Doe season here in Missouri ended Friday, but when I checked the regs Sunday morning I was educated in the fact that it was still open, closing Sunday. I really didn't want to take them out while rifle season was in since I hunt public land, but the smile on their faces just couldn't be beat. And the thought of disappointing them made it a quick " lets eat and go".

Well I scrambled and found every piece of blaze orange I had, we ate lunch, I packed some snacks and we kissed mommy goodbye for our great adventure. I threw the .348 in the truck " just in case", and Mack took her scout rifle I bought her last christmas. I made the 20 minute drive out to the woods and first checked the 3 parking lots to the public access. Only one truck about 3/4 of a mile away from our parking spot. We got out and I suited them up. I decided to leave the .348 in the truck due to carrying the backpack ( full of snacks, binos, camera, water), the two man pop up blind, and two camp chairs. :D

Here we are just stepping foot into the "jungle".

Hardin-20121202-00493-Copy.jpg

Allie was in the lead and for only being 3, she did very well walking through the woods. We were heading to the top of that hill, about 100 yards from the truck. I think this is the closest I have ever been to the truck..haha. I made it a point to show them the deer trail we were walking on, the different plants, and there is even two buck rubs in this little patch of woods.

Platte-20121202-00494-Copy.jpg

We found our spot, much to the protest of the squirrels, and I set everything up. We settled into the blind and got to hunting. Within 5 miutes, Allie found a buck sneaking through the brush with my Steiners and Mack decided he was big enough. One smooth squeeze of her Cabelas Scout 500NE and buck was hers. I was able to sneek to the side of the blind and take a quick pic right before the shot.

Hardin-20121202-00498.jpg

We left the blind to go tag the buck. Daddy in the lead. I am really proud of Mack as she listened very well about not pointing the rifle at anyone.

DSC01326.jpg

We got down to the edge of the woods and out to the right popped a huge buck and Mack handed Allie the rifle and told her to shoot. Allie drew a bead through the 1x Burris and put one right in the boilermaker. Mack turned and said " you smoked him!!".
DSC01332.jpg

The smile on her face tells the story.

DSC01331.jpg

We drug the bucks back to the blind and decided it was time for some Keebler Elf cookies.

DSC01339.jpg

The girls then decided they wanted to sit outside so I took the blind down. It was at this time a truck pulled into the parking lot and parked next to our truck. We practised sitting still and quiet so the other hunters could hunt without us spoiling it. They walked past about 60 yards away and never saw us.

After that it was getting late, about 3:30, and both the girls still take naps at 2pm so it was evident to me it was time to call it a day.

Hardin-20121202-00502-Copy.jpg

And probably the most proud moment of the day came as we packed up and left. The truck was out of sight as it was behind the crest of the hill. I asked the girls " which way to the truck". Mack took a second and pointed directly in the way we needed to go. I have a feeling she is gonna be like her old man and really enjoy the solitude of the woods.

On the drive home I thought for sure the girls would fall asleep, but they didn't . They couldn't stop talking about their deer hunt. Allie asked me if I could take her on Wednesday as Mack would be at school and it was very hard to tell her no that Daddy would be working as well.

As we pulled into the drive, the neighbors were out enjoying the day and the 4 neighbor boys ( ages 7-11) came running up and asked where we were. Mackenzie proudly told them " we were deer hunting". One of the boys said " I wish my dad would take me" ( his dad hunts yet has never taken him), and Mackenzie retorted with " my Daddy's awesome!". It was at this exact moment that a piece of dirt became lodged in my right eye and it started watering ;)

Needless to say that statement really hit home and I can't wait to take them out again. To see their faces and hear them giggle and talk was too much fun.

I think Santa may be bringing a pink BBgun, hope Mack likes it!!

You know my thoughts already, Pat, but that's a trip worth repeating as often as possible!

I hear you Dub. They sure made me proud with the way they acted and even though we didn't see a single deer they sure were pumped and have been telling everyone who will listen.

They even insisted on calling "grandpa" (my FIL who is coming in 2 weeks for muzzleloader season) and telling him how they went deer hunting. I think he really got a kick out of hearing both girls explain that Daddy taught them how to call a squirrel,and that we saw piles of deer poop!!

Pat,

Congratulations on being a rich man. My daughters still talk about time with dad. We were usually fishing, however. My eldest wanted to help me and my younger became a better fisherman than her old man. This is a priceless thread. Thanks for sharing this special day with us.

That's great. I hope your girls always say "My Daddy's awesome!"

Good story & photos. Thanks!

Pat,

That is one of the BEST hunting stories ever.
Enjoy the time with your daughters, they grow up fast.
Here is my oldest daughter, who is going to be 25 last year with her first buck.
IMG_06191.jpg

IMG_06271.jpg

Great stuff man.

JD338

Pre64,

That was one of the best, if not the absolute best, hunting story I've ever read. Thank you for allowing us to share in your joy.

Pat that sure is an awesome hunting story. I don't know how you ever kept them quiet, especially with two of them! :shock: :grin: That in itself is quite a story. Great pictures from all on their hunting daughter too by the way. That is really cool. We need more ladies out in the field.
David

Great hunt and I love the pink boots. You and my dad have the same problem with your eyes. My dad always has sinus issues at times like that. I would bet the house that they would love a spring turkey hunt. Give them a gobble tube or a crow call and they would have a blast.

Hey Guys, my daughter is now 35 and a mom of 2. She was 6 years old & still talks about the times we went hunting sharpies and partridge. She had a pop gun that she carried and would walk every field with us.
Unfortunately she does not have the time to go anymore and does not like to see deer get taken. But she still enjoys the meals of Venison, Moose & Elk.
I am hoping my grand kids will enjoy the out doors:)
Emerson my 4 year old grandson ( we call the big M ) watches all the shows with is Opa and this year for Christmas I purchased a little 410 for him, he is a little young but he will know it is his and it will be in the safe for when he is ready:)
Guys this forum is truly one of a kind and I feel blessed to know so many of you. Thanks for being who you are REAL!! :)

Blessings,
Dan

That is cool guys, I always like to see da's taking their kids hunting. My older kids take me huntng now, as they are in their mid to late 40's.

As long as we're posting pics of our little hunting ladies, here's a couple from the last two hunts with my youngest, Hannah. Here she is tuckered out, right before I woke her up to tell her I was about to shoot a "stupid coyote."

49570B80-148C-4B8D-A109-5FA241C8D715-5763-0000045228BC0E02.jpg

She can't say coyote without the stupid on the front anymore, either!

And here she is on our last afternoon outing. It was a very sunny afternoon, and shirtsleeve warm. All we saw was a flock of buzzards (black vultures, for all you non-southerners) which were probably eating the last of that coyote I shot right after the previous picture, but she had a ball and is after me to take her again soon.

AAB9C4CF-C6CA-4E3F-B7BA-AB02A88A0FDD-5763-000004521D056645.jpg

Very cool Guys!!! Keep the pics coming.

JD338 I hope to have a pic of my daughter standing over her buck someday I would love to get her back up in the UP of Mich to FIL 80 acres so she can experience the up north adventure.

Scotty she is a chip off the old block man!

Dub I think if we would have stayed 10 more minutes my youngest would have been sleeping in my lap!

All you other guys with older daughters/sons who have followed in your footsteps... Congrats and great job.

Great story and pics, Pat!

Love the pics of everyone's kids hunting with them!

This one is from last year....I have one of Anna with me this year, but it's still on my phone for the time being.

Here's Megan and Anna (Megan's the older one in the back of the pic, Anna's 2.5 years younger) sitting under a deadfall with me last year during the evening of the rifle season opener:

girls.jpg

This is a super thread that speaks of special time afield with special people--our daughters.

Back