TO BED OR NOT TO BED???

GermanShorthair

Beginner
Jan 1, 2008
I was just wondering if bedding a rifle really improves the accuracy of a rifle or if it is best left alone?
BED THE ACTION :?:
PILLAR BED :?:
BOTH?
WOOD AND COMPOSITE STOCKS :?:

GermanShorthair

+ 1 to Bed.

My 35 Whelen suddenly lost its accuracy so I had the action bedded. The result was better accuracy than ever before.
Same with my 280AI. I had the LSS stock Pillar bedded and accuracy was again improved.

JD338

I bed all my rifles. It doesn't matter what the stock is made of, bedding may not always improve accuracy but it sure helps with consistancy of the groups. I would rather have a rifle that always shoots 1.5" at 100yds than one that will shoot 1/2" today and 3" tomorrow.Rick.

I only bed if rifle does not shoot well as is.

I pillar bed all my rifles before i ever shoot them.
Yes, it helps . I can't even think of doing it in other way.

I bed all of my rifles and they all shoot pretty good. My buddy had a Rem. XCR in a .338 Win Mag that would not group under two inches with 20 different loads. I finally conded him into letting me bed it for him and now everything he shoots in it is under two inches. His pet load will put five under an inch all day long. I'm a big believer in bedding!

I glass bed all my target and hunting rifles. A good bedding job sometimes helps but never hurts.

Absolutly ,Glass in pillars ,glass bed the action,freefloat the barrel , use a torque wrench to tighten the screws the same every time . If you handload it will take a 2 inch shooter down under a inch if your gun ain,t wore out.
Wayles

Is it difficult to bed a rifle. I have never done it but I was thinking trying it to one of my rifles.

Get an Accuraglass gel kit and follow the instructions. Pay attention to undercuts, holes, etc. Use plenty of release agent. Not difficult but you might want to start with just bedding the recoil lug and progress from there.Rick.

Back