To build 03-A3 or not?

6mm Remington

Ammo Smith
Feb 27, 2006
My father had an old 03-A3 that a buddy of his started building a 308 Norma magnum on and it never got completed. My question is this. I think it would be kind of neat to use the action to build a rifle on and I was thinking about a 6mm-06 for something just a little different or maybe even a 264-06 (6.5-06 :mrgreen: ) He also has an old 1917 Enfield that I might be able to talk him out of, but I have the Remington 03-A3 in hand.

It would be neat to use this because it's from my father using either action. Is this practical or by the time I have all the machine work done, bolt parts replaced, and all the other work necessary, would the expense just be too much. Not sure about the metal in the 03-A3 either. I've heard those Enfields are some stout actions on the other hand.

Or, should I look for a beat up Model 70 controlled round feed rifle and grab one of those up and go from there? If I go that route, still toying with the 6mm-06, the 264-06, or the 6mm Remington in a short action build. (Winchester's action is nice as it's 3" long and the 6mm Really deserves to have that length. Open to ideas here guys! Thoughts an opinions welcome.
David

002-16.jpg

I like the idea of building a classic American sporter on the '03 action.

Something like Griffin & Howe built long ago. Classic walnut stock, blued barrel in a sporter contour, modest scope like one of those wonderful 6x Leupolds...

Am thinking I'd like it in 6.5-06, but I'd be real happy with a .25-06, .270, .280 or even leaving it a .30-06 with a high quality barrel. Such a rifle could be an outstanding hunting rifle for most game, and would be a tribute to the Springfield action, to your father and to classic American rifle builders.

Guy

Thanks Guy. I've been thinking about doing something for a long time. Not quite sure why it took me so long to possibly get serious about it. You know you might have something there in building it in a .280 Remington with a 24" sporter weight contour. That would replace the .280 I sold several years ago and have regretted ever since. It was the Remington 700 MTN rifle and I loved it, but I always felt they handicapped it by only having a 22" barrel on the darn thing.

OH the ideas. Thanks.
David

That action would be a great action to use. The 03A3 is strong. You will have to do a little machine work. Mill the back sight area flat, drill and tap the action and the metal is VERY HARD. Reshape the bolt handle or just cut it off and make you a new bolt handle and weld it on is easier. Put a new trigger like a Timney with a slide type safety. If you are paying a gunsmith to do this it can get into your pocket a little deep. If you have access to the tools you can do much of the work yourself though. As far as building a good rifle on the cheap $$. Get a Savage action and even people that are all thumbs can build a shooter with no problem themselves. :mrgreen:

A .280 on that action would be excellent, David. On the other hand, any of the cartridges you named that are built off the .30-06 (or even the '06 itself) would do you proud.

I am with Dr. Mike and Guy, only I would be looking at a 280 AI if your going that way. I have had three custom 03's all nice shooters. The only 06 I have now is a low numbered 03 with a classic wood stock very nice looking rifle.

What is the serial number on your A3? I have a book called Hatcher's notebook and I can tell you when it was built and some other facts on the action. My Grandfather said the A3 was the best action and built several rifles on it also 43 Jewish 98 Mausers and the VZ-24 Brno action.

I agree with Guy build a classic out of it, but don't forget to overlook the .338-06 or Whelen. I have an 03 that is a Whelen and 03A3 that is the .338-06.

nvbroncrider":14ldtk80 said:
What is the serial number on your A3? I have a book called Hatcher's notebook and I can tell you when it was built and some other facts on the action. My Grandfather said the A3 was the best action and built several rifles on it also 43 Jewish 98 Mausers and the VZ-24 Brno action.

Thanks. Later I'll send you a PM with the number

taylorce1":14ldtk80 said:
I agree with Guy build a classic out of it, but don't forget to overlook the .338-06 or Whelen. I have an 03 that is a Whelen and 03A3 that is the .338-06.

Did you want me to "overlook" the 338-06? That is a thought also as I don't have a large caliber rifle. (Dr. Mike, Scotty, Pop all want to jump on that one?) You talk like that and Scotty will have a seizure! :mrgreen: :shock:
David

6mm Remington":ke7ntbkq said:
nvbroncrider":ke7ntbkq said:

Thanks. Later I'll send you a PM with the number

taylorce1":ke7ntbkq said:

Did you want me to "overlook" the 338-06? That is a thought also as I don't have a large caliber rifle. (Dr. Mike, Scotty, Pop all want to jump on that one?) You talk like that and Scotty will have a seizure! :mrgreen: :shock:
David

You know what he was trying to say! Don't try to evade the point David! You would be smitten with a nice 338 or 35 Whelen AI'ed! Scotty

Shame on you, David, for even thinking that you could evade the issue of "needing" a Whelen, or even a 338-06. In the classic admonition of Gomer Pyle, "Shame! Shame! Shame."

Heck, if it were me, I'd think about the .308 Norma it was intended to be!

BK":2rvhv436 said:
Heck, if it were me, I'd think about the .308 Norma it was intended to be!

Or a 358 Norma!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do I have to think of everything around here! Scotty

You guys are a rotten to the core! But the core is pretty darn good even if I have to admit it out loud!! :mrgreen:
David

Seriously, David, my head is big enough already. Don't be saying nice things like that! :)

6mm Remington":32xpudnw said:
taylorce1":32xpudnw said:

David

Been seriously busy and have to check stuf on the computer at the MWR right now. I only get about 25 min of computer access so I don't have a whole lot of time to proof what I write. However if you don't consider the .338-06 or .35 Whelen for an 03 action you'll be missing out.

DrMike":lqj45p7f said:
A .280 on that action would be excellent, David. On the other hand, any of the cartridges you named that are built off the .30-06 (or even the '06 itself) would do you proud.

I've got two 03-A3s and LOVE them both. You've seen the thread on one of 'em:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16263

but the other is a peep-sighted Smith-Corona with the military tube turned down and some nice walnut on it.

Those actions are, as others have stated, awesome and won't require a lot of work. Get a Chapman safety and timney sportsman trigger through Brownells, then pick up a milled BM/trigger guard and you've got a fantastic action.

IMHO, a .280 Rem or AI, 30-06, 338-06, 35 Whelen, or 308 Norma with a high-quality tube would be awesome on that action. As you know, my 6mm-250 shoots brilliantly, and Springfields have long had a reputation for accuracy so you know the potential is there.

DO IT UP MAN!

Thanks for all the encouragement you terrific bunch of RADD addicted enablers! I think I'm going to start putting a few bucks aside and maybe work a little OT when I can. Once I start, I won't be able to stop! :oops:

I agree with all that has been said...I would personally rule out the 6.5-06 because you are better served by either the 25-06 if you want a lighter bullet shooter or if you need a solid .264 then the 264 Win Mag on the other side of it (or the 270 WCF for that matter) will do a better job yet.

I love the 30-06, it is for sure my favorite rifle caliber and I have always liked the look of the old custom Springfields like Sedgley used to make. I must say though I too have entertained the thought of a 338-06 or a 35 Whelen. I have always wanted a Whelen in a Remington 760 though with a 20-22" barrel for short work. If I was to build a bolt gun from the ground up I would choose the 338-06 over the Whelen purely for the extra bullet weight selection. Being a handloader this is important.

So there are my two votes, a 30-06 or a 338-06...either one would be a great choice. I for one only own one rifle right now that is under 30 caliber (25-06) and it suits most if not all of my practical smallbore needs. Am going to build a 7mm Rem Mag though in the next year or so. I honestly just prefer the 30 cal rifles for all my hunting!

Back