Toning it down in the future?

Elkman":1wgtes2p said:
I plan on hunting so long as God Willing and the creek don't rise.
Waders will work in those cases.
I hope my last day will be on a south facing hillside, glassing for elk.

I never caught the elk addiction, but the same fate, glassing for mulies, would be just fine by me. In at least another 20 years I hope! :grin:

And OT3, I'm recalling now an incident I investigated years ago. A tough guy, bad guy, broke into an older fellow's home. A small one-bedroom place on the poor side of town. It turned into one heck of a fight and was one of the bloodiest scenes I've ever seen, without a knife or gun being involved.

Seems the old fellow was pretty strong, pretty stubborn, and pretty doggone good with his cane. He ended up breaking it on the young fellow, running him out of the house. Both of them got banged up pretty good, but the old guy stood his ground, in his house, and defended himself and his property. He was actually sitting there at his blood covered dining table, drinking a beer, waiting for us, with the remnants of his cane in hand when I got there. Pretty impressed by him. Cool customer.

We got the bad guy later. I actually caught him several times at different crimes over the years and he eventually spent a few years in prison. As an aside - he's out now. Found Jesus. Quit drinking & drugs and is working hard every day. He actually remembers me and we have had some good conversations over the past few years, after his release. One of the few turnarounds I've ever seen. Maybe the old fellow with the cane beat some of the bad out of him? :grin:

Old people are not automatic victims! I was Army trained for Vietnam by 10th Special Forces and worked overseas in India, China, central and south America, Philippines etc. I was there alone in the Philippines when they took Imelda Marcos down. I had no gun and was by myself.

I have had people try to mug me, stab and shoot me and I am still here. A hard head, speed and determination are all that I had. Plus, I have had several knife fights and won them all, knock on wood! Old people may be slow and easy going but don't think that they are pushovers.

There are a lot of prairie dogs that need shooting. The ultimate reactive target. I look forward to an annual 3 day excursion where I will easily burn 800-1,000 rounds.

I don't intend to have anything more mounted. I'm not really a trophy hunter but did mount some of my take from Africa and will mount a few from Argentina when they finally arrive (I went in March of this year). I will definitely use the capes for holsters, pillows, and the like, too. Even in Argentina/Africa, the meat didn't go to waste.

If I were to stuff another animal I would remove/donate one I have. It would have to be something spectacular.

I enjoy the trophies I've collected, although few are "gold". They just came along with the hunt and are not much different than a photograph. Every time I see them I have memories of the hunt.

I have a friend who has had so many safaris his house is full and there are more animals on the way. He even has a full size giraffe in his foyer. I'm glad I saw the light before I got bit that badly.

Guy, I do not think that teaching a bad person some degree of responsibility for his bad behavior is necessarily a bad thing to do. I am a Christian and believe in forgiveness but sometimes, some folks have to learn the really hard way before they come to Jesus!

Guy I have always admired your posts, your pictures, and your retrospective on life, the outdoors, hunting and fishing. Well I haven't reached that point in my hunt span , my father sure has. He will still pull the trigger when it's time but he doesn't have the same lust as it once was. Even goose hunting this fall , he was there for the sunrise, the beat of the wings, seeing the dogs work. Hearing the cackles and watching them commit.. The beretta only spoke every now and then.
I'm not sure when I'll hit the hunting plateau but I'm sure someday I will. For now "I hunt therefore I am."
OT3 - I'm sure glad you are alright , and admire your ability to think and be pro active. I think in this day and age that has gone by the way side. The old story about the bigger they are the harder they fall was BS . The stupider they are the easier to fall.. Should be the quote. Lol . Stay safe. .
I truly hope everyone can get out , enjoy the outdoors and get some hunting in this year. Remember the sunrise, the sunset, those that have come and gone before us , and those that gave it all for our freedom. Remember to give thanks for the hunt not only the kill, and remember to pass it down like how it was passed down to you.

Super 7, you may be happy to learn that I spent all day up in the Cascades, seeking a mature mulie buck, and am appropriately worn out right now. :grin:

Yes, I'm going back!

Guy

Guy, I returned home last night from a successful elk hunt that took 18 years to draw, (more about that later). I know I'm done hunting elk in that canyon, but not done hunting elk. As I drove home from Oregon through eastern Washington it occurred to me it was time to change my focus. For the last 25 years I've blown through E/W heading for Oregon, not learning a thing. I stopped the truck, dug my Garmin out of my war bag, found a road map under the seat and got off highway 12 just out of Walla Walla. Ended up in Ellensburg a few hours behind schedule. Found some great looking bird ground. An easy trip for us and the dogs. After 12 days of wind rain, snow and fog in the blue Mountains I want something a little easier, more casual, can't quite put my finger on it. What is clear is I can't wait to load Sande and our shorthairs into the truck, head back over to your AO and take a couple of half day walks behind the girls.
Don.

Back