Toning it down in the future?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Am thinking hard about my hunting, and where I'm going with it.

Starting to realize that I've accomplished most of my goals in hunting. First was to simply hunt a lot, which I've done, and enjoyed, particularly with friends & family.

The house is pretty well full up with a big ol' elk rack, three bear skins & three more skulls, various coyote pelts, pronghorn skull (with another one being prepared) and more deer antlers than I have room for. I think there's now five or six sets of mule deer antlers up in the attic and stashed in the garage, including a 26" 4x4 I need to find a home for inside. And there's a bigger 26+ inch 3x4 at the taxidermist now, and I hope to tag another good mulie buck in the next few weeks.

It's really getting pretty silly around here anymore with antlers, skulls and hides all over the place...

Started out as a pheasant hunter, and have always enjoyed hunting for pheasants, quail, chukar, huns and the like. Nothing like a crisp fall day afield with a good dog working ahead of a pair of hunters... And I thoroughly enjoy preparing upland game for the table as well. Just as much as I do big game.

I'm not sure how far back I'm going to cut my big game hunting, probably back to just the annual deer hunt here in Washington, unless I happen to draw some pretty cool tag, like moose or bighorn sheep. I may have to stew on this decision for quite a while. Time to become mostly a bird hunter again? Possibly...

Thinking on this.

Guy

I admire the introspection. Interesting thought process and I guess one many of us come to at some point. Such as what's really important or what things are most important?
Even could be the "been there done that" frame of mind also.
Big changes in your life over the past 12 months or so. Guess it would be natural to evolve or ponder things.
It will be interesting to follow your thought process.

Never been a trophy hunter, though I've taken some fine specimen. I'm a meat hunter. It has kept Mama from going on the warpath while allowing me time afield. I'm slowing down, but it is physical restrictions that are slowing me at the moment.

Same here I only care for the meat. Now do not get me wrong I will not pass up a 7x7 elk But will not go looking for it.

Guy, some food for thought. HUNT FOREVER!!! But seriously, if you still enjoy going afield how about trying to find a young kid or two that are looking for a mentor to teach them the ropes? Perhaps a local Scoutmaster or school counselor may send you a name. That lets YOU still do some hunting and watch a newcomer enjoy all the thrills you've experienced.

Or, find some elderly folks that can't hunt anymore but would love to have some game meat and help them fill their freezer.

I think I'm mostly contemplating shifting directions, not stopping.

We've got great fly fishing and upland bird hunting within very short distances of my home, and I thoroughly enjoy those activities. Perhaps it's simply time to pay more attention to those old hobbies of mine, and a little less to big game hunting...

Having a hard time mustering enthusiasm for another bear or elk hunt. But all excited about going after pheasants & salmon...

I don't intend on selling the rifles anytime soon.

Guy Miner":7ii18fej said:
I think I'm mostly contemplating shifting directions, not stopping.

We've got great fly fishing and upland bird hunting within very short distances of my home,.

Nothing wrong at all...sometimes I find that chasing grouse has all the aesthetic qualities I enjoy about hunting.... and a wildly successful trip can be carried out in a pocket as well as cleaned and processed in an hour.

I don't plan on stopping big game hunting anytime soon, but I can surely understand why a lot of the old timers end their careers toting spendy shotguns and fly rods chasing fleeting birds and wee little fish.

Guy you and I are at different, yet similar paths.

I didn't start hunting until I was almost 20 years old ( I am 40 now). At the start it was fast and furious. The more tags I punched must mean I am a better hunter ( not true). The bigger the antlers the better ( not true as well). I didn't get married until I was 31 years old. I was single most of my 20's and spent 100 % of my vacation time hunting out west. The only true trophy I really want someday is a bow kill 5x5 or better bull elk.

Now 7 years ago my wife and I welcomed our first daughter. Fast forward to today and we have 3 daughters. Most of my non work hours are spent with them now and I wouldn't have it any other way.

If I don't pull the trigger ever again while watching my daughters bring meat home for the table I will be one happy daddy!

With the upcoming move to New Mexico next month, my seasons will be shorter, unlike the 4 month long seasons in the midwest. I plan on branching out as well.

Prairie dogs, trout streams, jackrabbits, hiking... look out. Here we come!

Guy
I'm not sure how far back I'm going to cut my big game hunting, probably back to just the annual deer hunt here in Washington, unless I happen to draw some pretty cool tag, like moose or bighorn sheep. I may have to stew on this decision for quite a while. Time to become mostly a bird hunter again? Possibly...

You probably won't need nearly so many rifles, like the Green Machine, like the 375. Please give me a shout when you scale back, I want to be first in line.

Guy, I am past the point where you are and my hunting days may be over. I still like to shoot though and will always be a gun enthusiast. I never was much of a trophy hunter and only have had two deer and an antelope mounted. That is about my wife's limit. One of my deer is hanging at her son's house.

I still maintain a stable of (6) centerfire rifles, shotgun and rimfire's. My range days are the most important exercise that I get outdoors now. My wife is beginning to ask me about cutting my rifle and handgun inventory just to fatten my savings a little. That is probably a sound strategy now but western Washington is not even close to the best gun market around. Oh well something to think about?

Guy, this thread is a real coincident

My mother just advised the family of the same thing. I think what recently happened in the family has something to do with it, but she has been hunting all her life with her grandfather, father and my dad. She has hunted a very large variety/species of animals all over the world and has decided to spend her time doing other things.

When pressed she said she enjoyed every hunt but her favorite's were the Lion, Marco Polo, Buffalo, Brown Bear, Polar Bear, Elk, and Red Stag.

She has always enjoyed "painting" Africa, the landscape, people, animals and wants to spend more time putting brush to canvas. She wants to spend more time with the family and would like to learn to sculpt. She also wants to help dad live his dream.

Dad has always talked about raising cattle and quarter horses and they will possibly look for land in the U.S. or Argentina.

I wish you the very best Guy with whatever you decide to do sir.

Best Regards

Jamila

Thanks all!

At this point I'm all excited about my Washington mule deer hunt next week, but yes, I may well tone it down a bit in the future.

There may be some rifles for sale eventually. I'm pretty sure that beautiful .375 H&H Model 70 custom will not stick around. I'm not going to Africa, so the only reasons I'm hanging onto it for now are the chance of a grizzly hunt in Alaska or Canada, and because it is the finest rifle I've ever owned.

The .308 Green Machine? Hah! That's my baby. It stays. :mrgreen: Thoroughly enjoyed shooting it at the range again this morning. Putting two consecutive shots within about an inch at 300 yards is a very satisfying thing, and not unusual at all for that rifle. It's my keeper.

You guys will know if and when I decide to part with a few. Likely won't be many sold. I like them too much.

Regards, Guy

I plan on hunting so long as God Willing and the creek don't rise.
I have several mounts and a barn full of racks. :mrgreen:

JD338

I plan on hunting so long as God Willing and the creek don't rise.
Waders will work in those cases.
I hope my last day will be on a south facing hillside, glassing for elk.

I went to the local Rite Aid drug store for a scrip refill at 9:05 this morning. As I got out of my truck, two guys in a jap car had followed my truck into the parking lot. Both had on Marlon Brando black leather jackets, complete with chains on right shoulder (re: Rebel Without a Cause). One punk got out as lookout, while the other punk walked toward me and got in between me and the store door, blocking me completely as I am slow walking with a cane.

I had unzipped my inside magnum revolver pocket in my leather jacket when I saw what was coming down. As the first punk blocked the door, I went to high port carry with my steel cane at an oblique angle to him so that no matter what he did, I could break either of his arms or his knees with the cane. I stood there and stared the 18-19 YO punk in the eye. The other punk was playing lookout 20 feet away.

The active assault punk stopped, did not like what I was doing and asked for a cigarette. I said, don't spoke and stared in his eyes. After about 20 seconds, he relaxed not finding any place to start without getting hurt. Punk did not know that I was about to shoot him, had he moved?

I said: excuse me (!) and walked through him facing him with high port cane so there was no back side for him to hit. That was it. They were gone when I came out again with pistol in pocket. Thanks, US Army for the baton training.

Went to Police and reported these punks. Showed them my CCL and filed a report, just in case. Enough excitement for an old cripple for one day, I guess. This after house damage from trees last week. It has not been my month?

Back