Heart-Healthy Chili

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
53ReWiXh.jpg

I've never made chili with shredded chicken. But... I had three thawed chicken breasts in the fridge seeking a mission. I baked them in chili seasoning & garlic this morning. One hour at 350 degrees. The kitchen smelled wonderful! Cut and shredded them and added them to the good ol' crock pot we've had since the 1980's. Then:
Diced tomato
Tomato sauce
Unsalted chicken stock
Three diced up green bell peppers
Chopped up green onions
ONE sliced up serrano pepper

I'm probably forgetting something. Will split the chili and add beans to half of it. Have cilantro for flavoring later, and haven't added all the spices yet. Looking forward to this, a change from my usual elk, deer, or beef chili. Seasoned it with chili powder, minced garlic, black pepper, just a bit of cayenne pepper and a dash of salt.

Turned out quite nicely. I could see doing this with pheasant or pretty much any game bird instead of the chicken.

Guy

Excellent presentation, Guy. We recently attended a wedding in KS. At the reception, the bride and groom served three chilis--vegetarian (more of a vegetable stew than a chili), spicy beef chili, and chicken with northern beans. A unique wedding reception, but the food was delightful, nevertheless. i should imagine that your chili made with game meat would be reasonably heart healthy, as well.

Well, the next batch should be deer chili, but I had these three chicken breasts, thawed, just sitting there in the fridge looking for something to do... :)

I find chicken to be kind of bland, unless my wife or I take a bit of time & effort to do something flavorful with it.

Guy

Well, the next batch should be deer chili, but I had these three chicken breasts, thawed, just sitting there in the fridge looking for something to do... :)

I find chicken to be kind of bland, unless my wife or I take a bit of time & effort to do something flavorful with it.

Guy
True, dat.

Since I have had to change my diet due to surgery recently I have been looking for low fat meals and this sounds like a good one . Thanks for sharing Guy.

In the past my chili recipe has consisted of fresh ground beef, onion, home canned whole tomatoes and homemade tomato juice, green/red/yellow peppers, large can of dark red kidney beans, McCormick chili powder salt & pepper to taste, I also add some apple cider vinegar which helps break done the fat and enhances the tomato flavor cutting the acidic bite. I also added a few drops of tabasco sauce for desired heat. I have been unable to tolerate Cyanne pepper since I head food poisoning from a spoiled lobster dish that was spiced with Cyanne pepper.

If you have ever had sliced tomatoes in a restaurant that wasn't very flavorful or store bought tomatoes which lacked in flavor a few drops of apple cider vinegar will really bring the flavor out in them.

What! No Shiner beer.
I had to look up Shiner beer. Never even heard of it before. And I've had rather a lot of beer in my life. :)

So do you recommend drinking Shiner beer while making chili? Or putting it in the chili? Or both? :)

Guy

Many years ago there was a commercial (the subject of which I have forgotten) that depicted a guy cooking a big pot of chili at a contest. He is shown dropping a whole chicken into the pot. I always wanted to give that a try.

Back