Too many loads to choose from

338 Ultra

Beginner
Aug 14, 2011
Well now I am in a mental pickle. I have a lot of loads for a lot of rifles and I just don't know what to pick for this year. I only have deer tags so I don't need anything magnum wise and I just can't make up my mind what to carry this season. I am comfortable with all my rifles and all the loads shoot very well so it is not a which one carries better or which one shoots flatter thing. All are good to 400 yards and so am I with them on deer sized targets. I understand now why a lot of guys just pick one caliber to stay with but where is the fun with that?

Here is what I got that makes sense for both species of deer I am after this year.

260 Rem with 125 Partition at just under 2900 fps
280 Rem with 120 Btips at 3250 plus or 140 AB's at 3000 or 160 AB's at 2830
35 Whelen with 225 AB's at 2740

I could get a general bull elk tag but the areas I have to hunt in are redneck 4x4 up and down the road central so hunting is super hard. I will give it a pass so the 300 and the 338's stay tucked away this year.

There it is boys you get to vote on what I get to carry afield this year for mule deer and whitetails. To top it all off I have accepted a promotion and we will be moving the whole famdamily 5 hours northwest as soon as we can find a new place and get rid of this one. The next month or two is going to be nothing but fun trying to get a few days hunting in here and there LOL.

You won't be hurt with any of those rifles/loads. I'm partial to the .280, just because I have enjoyed the cartridge in three separate rifles so very much. Good luck on your hunt!

Is there a bullet you haven't taken any game with? I would look at the 120 gr 280 Rem load and bring along the good old reliable 260 Rem 125 gr PT as well. The 140 gr AB is my third choice for no particular reason.

Wow, what a predicament to be in. I only have 2 choices. For your choice I think I would go 280 Rem with 160gr. I never have really caught on to the speed/velocity thing, but I think the 160gr will hit em hard and stop a deer in its tracks. Good luck

Definitely 160's I've seen a few muley's take quite a bit of punishment and keep ticking. And the old .280 is normally under appreciated. Or the 35. I kinda like the idea of DRT. Tracking is not much fun to me.

Do what I do. Shoot a deer with each. Start at the top and work your way down.
Not having to track a deer is all about shot placement not caliber. High shoulder shot means BANG FLOP.

If I have to pick only one of your rifles I would pick the 260 Rem.

All good choices. Like Gerry said, try a bullet load that hasn't been "field tested".

JD338

I would have to say that you should go with the 280 as it such a versatile calibre :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

For me, having to use one of your loads would be no issue. I would use the 140 grain AccuBond in the .280 Remington. That will suffice as a one shot deer killer every year, unless you want suspense with your hunting rifle?

Thanks for the replies guys :mrgreen:

Here is what I have taken with each of the three over the years.

260 Rem
Too many deer to count numerous bucks over 300 on the hoof of both species, cow moose, cow elk and black bears.

280 Rem same as above but nothing with my brand new 120 grain load, which I would only use for deer. I hear and have read that it is a pretty tough bullet and punches through deer while knocking them off their feet like ballistic tips are famous for. I read something about them having the same weight of jacket as the 140 Btip but the way they are formed leads to the jacket being thicker around the lighter core so they are a bit tougher than you would expect.

35 Whelen Many deer including the biggest bodied mule buck anyone in my hunting area has ever seen me included. I doubt I will ever in my lifetime shoot one heavier. Last year was a huge cow moose my biggest cow to date.

So being in love with all three and supremely confidant with all three it is still not the easiest choice to make.
But Gerry and JD make good sense ( plus the other votes for the 280)

So here it is this year it is going to be the 280 with the 120 Btip and my .260 Mountain with the 125 as a second choice/back up. This will be a great opportunity to have some solid field testing on live game for the bullet test forum too which is also a good thing.

I suspect Scotty is hunting elk out west cause I did not see him post about the Whelen.

My wife is trying to understand why I need to get out deer hunting during everything that is going on! I need to get out deer hunting to get away from everything that is going on :mrgreen:

338 Ultra":2x5c2ek8 said:
I need to get out deer hunting to get away from everything that is going on :mrgreen:

Ain't it the truth! :grin: Been there; done that; bought the tee-shirt.

Back