Top 5 wildcat cartridges of all time, so says field and stre

DrMike":15x1ppdb said:
PJGunner":15x1ppdb said:
That IDIOT left out the .35 Whelen. A pox on on him.
Paul B.

Ouch! And touché! (y)

I’d have to agree with Paul!

I’d also have to include the 10 different wildcats made up off of the blown out 300 H&H’s and finally standardized with the 300 Wby.

Lol. You guys are hilarious!

I thought the 22-250 wood chucks and song dogs... how poetic... and 25.06 I’ve been to Dowagiac... never knew the famous 25.06 came from there. The 458 Lott did nothing for me.

I don’t know what I’d like more a 35 Whelan or a 338-06 Asquare.

Love the 06 case, just 0.358 vs 0.338.
I’m guilty of going big every time I have a choice.

PJ, thanks for highlighting captain Whelans cartridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now I remember why I stopped my subscription to Field and Stream, (several decades ago).

Interesting article, I appreciate reading them for no other reason other than to soak up some historical data.

For the record my favorite wildcat that gets no love is the 8mm06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rednek rampager":5edkg7bi said:
Interesting article, I appreciate reading them for no other reason other than to soak up some historical data.

For the record my favorite wildcat that gets no love is the 8mm06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That would be a round.

In general, 8mm doesn’t get much love period.

Plus I can’t count. They only did 4.

FOTIS":1nb29q3j said:
280 AI gotta be the most popular
Only about a million rifles and billion rounds short of the 22-250. Maybe one day it'll catch up

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

FOTIS":1qbe6qkh said:
280 AI gotta be the most popular
I agree with Fotis.
Also the 35 Whelen and 338 Federal were left off the list.

JD338

I do have a 22-250 AI and my #1 Ruger 25-06 AI 1:7 rpm gets shipped today.

I can't say I'm too butthurt about the list... I probably would have included the Whelen over the Lott, but apparently the .458 has changed the PH world more significantly then the Whelen has change the NA market. And AIs are different critters than wildcats, so I'm not bent out of shape by the .280AI's exclusion.

I still think Petzal is a cranky old putz, though.

It think it's odd that Remington has had great success adopting wildcats and shepherding them through SAAMI standardization- .22-250, 35 Whelen, 25-06...for that matter- the 7-08 probably fits in that category as well. But decidedly more sporadic when it comes to its own cartridge development- the 7 Remington Mag was a huge success but the 280 and the 8mm Remington Mag were not.

The 22-250 and 25/06 are great rounds, and very wide spread. Cant get much better than a 22-250 for a varmint rifle, and you really cant beat the 25/06 as a dual purpose varmint/deer rifle either. I've killed everything from pdogs, coyotes, antelope, deer, elk, and black bear with it. It is pretty versatile with the right bullets, super accurate, recoil is negligible, and it hits harder than most would think for a quarter bore out to 500 yards. The 6.5-284 is a good round, but it's still more of a target cartridge and very limited in factory offerings, which hinders its popularity IMO. I think the 280 AI should've made the list. Its became very popular and offered in quite a few different factory rifles these days, not to mention a ton of guys rebarrel them to make one of the better all around big game/lightweight rifles.

Back