Trespassers

The issue is for me...
The folks are me take advantage of the access. And then there's a case for liability. I actually do let a couple of people access our property, but it's only a couple.

JD338

beside my front door!
60axPWb.jpg

Over the years it has been a constant battle to keep trespassers off of the property.
They steal the signs, cameras and invade my hunting ground.
I've even had people claim they own it and try to kick me off my own property.
Fortunately there is a gate on the road now so at least they have to walk in.

My favorite story; Two years ago the neighbor kid knocks on the door. He was 12 at the time. “Mr Don can I hunt Turkeys on your place” Sure, I said. Before I could ask when he followed with “can I borrow a shotgun right quick” They just went up behind the barn. “Shells too”? I offered. Yes please. About five minutes later he killed his spring turkey.
Ask and I’m likely to open the gate for you. Stomp around out there with out and I can be a real Grumpy SOB. County deputies think I’m a PIA because I’m a retired cop and will check on the follow-up.

I am sorry that you have had to deal with that. A lot of of what Shade has to say, I have to agree with. Unfortunately, the one thing it appears they did was break the law and leave bait for a turkey. I understand why the law is there- dont dis agree with it really. People cant exercise common sense and only take one bird. That said, dont really like involving the authorities either, (not that you shouldn't). If I understand, involving them closes down hiker access to the trail?

Wish you could just post a sign that says, "Due some wayward hunters who couldn't follow the rules , and apparently couldn't find there way we have marked your trail with pink Flamingo's and a bell on every tree. Enjoy your walk on our PRIVATE property, and don't loose your way...."

My favorite story; Two years ago the neighbor kid knocks on the door. He was 12 at the time. “Mr Don can I hunt Turkeys on your place” Sure, I said. Before I could ask when he followed with “can I borrow a shotgun right quick” They just went up behind the barn. “Shells too”? I offered. Yes please. About five minutes later he killed his spring turkey.
Ask and I’m likely to open the gate for you. Stomp around out there with out and I can be a real Grumpy SOB. County deputies think I’m a PIA because I’m a retired cop and will check on the follow-up.
Thats perfect! So lucky that I was on the receiving end of those types of conversations AND that I grew up around people who expected it to work that way. Guess that accounts for my naive view of how it should be. CL

I am sorry that you have had to deal with that. A lot of of what Shade has to say, I have to agree with. Unfortunately, the one thing it appears they did was break the law and leave bait for a turkey. I understand why the law is there- dont dis agree with it really. People cant exercise common sense and only take one bird. That said, dont really like involving the authorities either, (not that you shouldn't). If I understand, involving them closes down hiker access to the trail?

Wish you could just post a sign that says, "Due some wayward hunters who couldn't follow the rules , and apparently couldn't find there way we have marked your trail with pink Flamingo's and a bell on every tree. Enjoy your walk on our PRIVATE property, and don't loose your way...."
No, the right of way is open and marked, we wouldn’t be allowed, nor would we try to close the right of way, but it’s not as easy of a trek as the path across the property. It basically just cuts a corner on the property for about 60 yard, then back on public land. Our big thing is we’re 90 minutes away from the property and can’t keep an eye on it with any regularity, so really didn’t have much choice but to get the GW involved.

No, the right of way is open and marked, we wouldn’t be allowed, nor would we try to close the right of way, but it’s not as easy of a trek as the path across the property. It basically just cuts a corner on the property for about 60 yard, then back on public land. Our big thing is we’re 90 minutes away from the property and can’t keep an eye on it with any regularity, so really didn’t have much choice but to get the GW involved.

Yeah, agree, you are in a different circumstance without being around to monitor it and somebody using the opportunity to be doing illegal behavior. Best to let the GW's figure out who.

Back