Trespassers

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
We have a little piece of land about 5 acres we bought above our cabin. It provides an easy way to get to the national forest and the Appalachian trail. We bought it because land was getting snatched up and didn’t want our access restricted. It’s clearly marked private and no trespassing, anthough we allow anyone who asks to walk through to get to the national forest. And there is a marked easement on the edge of the property we’re required to leave open for foot travel. But i went Turkey hunting yesterday and was shocked to find yellow ribbons tied to trees about every 30 yards, almost perfectly following the route we use to walk up to the trail. And the path was beat down. Not sure why anyone would need to do this. It’s only about 400 yards up the hollow to the Appalachian trail, all you have to do is follow the creek up, not like you can get lost or miss the path! Then i discovered where they’ve been scattering chicken scratch and cracked corn. So, and as much as it pains me to nark, I put in a call to the GW. These fools left a bright yellow trail all the way to their bait site. I tried but the hen scratch didn’t show in the pic. Needing to mark the path and baiting tells me they’re not outdoorsmen/sportsmen.

Attachments

• IMG_0200.jpeg
    IMG_0200.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0199.jpeg
    IMG_0199.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
There are always some cretins that don't care that they are destroying the sport we love through their callous attitude that all that matters is killing something. You did the right thing. If we don't police ourselves, the fools of this world will police us, and no one wins when that happens.

There are always some cretins that don't care that they are destroying the sport we love through their callous attitude that all that matters is killing something. You did the right thing. If we don't police ourselves, the fools of this world will police us, and no one wins when that happens.
We don’t hunt that little patch simply because we let so many use it to pass through. You try to do the right thing……

When I owned the farm, I had many issues with trespassers. When I tried to be nice and let some good people use the property with restrictions, other would see them and then trespass themselves. I can't tell you how many times we have had trespassers tell us that they had gotten permission from the owners when we had never seen them in our life. Others just assume that any outdoor property is theirs for the using. The only way we could minimize trespassing was to completely shut down any use by others and call authorities for every infraction. Unfortunately, that ruined it for the good people.

I even have had people call the state police to clarify what their rights were to use my property. Boy, were those folks disappointed with what they heard.

Sorry to hear this. I would suggest perhaps setting up a game camera or two to see if you can catch the perpetrators, though it is unfortunate and unfair that you invest time and resources into it.

When I was a youngin' we had trespassers come on the property a few times, usually thinking it would be a great shortcut for their snowmobiles, though a couple of times to hunt deer. It was a different time back then and the law sometimes didn't see things the same way as now.

I hope everything turns out well for you.

Don't get me started...
I have had several issues with trespassing here. I am not the most popular person but....
these people have brought it on themselves.
I have been told by LE that I am intimidating because I won't back down.
I'm a nice guy, friendly and respectful until you cross the property line. Then I become a honey badger.
It just has to be that way....

JD338

When I owned the farm, I had many issues with trespassers. When I tried to be nice and let some good people use the property with restrictions, other would see them and then trespass themselves. I can't tell you how many times we have had trespassers tell us that they had gotten permission from the owners when we had never seen them in our life. Others just assume that any outdoor property is theirs for the using. The only way we could minimize trespassing was to completely shut down any use by others and call authorities for every infraction. Unfortunately, that ruined it for the good people.

I even have had people call the state police to clarify what their rights were to use my property. Boy, were those folks disappointed with what they heard.
Dan,

I've actually had the situation when hunting property on which I had written permission, witnessing people drive their vehicle across a planted field just because they saw me on the property. Something happens to otherwise intelligent people who just assume that they can access whatever property, fenced or not, because they want to shoot a deer.

Don't get me started...
I have had several issues with trespassing here. I am not the most popular person but....
these people have brought it on themselves.
I have been told by LE that I am intimidating because I won't back down.
I'm a nice guy, friendly and respectful until you cross the property line. Then I become a honey badger.
It just has to be that way....

JD338
Yep, We gave plenty of people permission to cross, but not hunt it. And for 5 years everyone was appreciative and respectful. Most were not hunters to stat with, they wanted to get to the trail, or off the trail. There's 2 public access points 7 miles apart, and people would park one vehicle at the public access lot and another car below us on the road, and just cut it to a 3 mile day hike. But now, especially with the GW getting involved, we'll have to shut it down to everybody. I don't want the GW to come back in a few months, find more bait ,and head straight to us to lay the blame. It's clear now why all the other land owners around us whose property touches the trail, has it locked down.

I don't have as much of a trespassing problem anymore but encountered it many times in the past. The worst was the one that had his blind off of my property but clearcut shooting lanes 80-100 yards into my property. Another time I had a person or persons fell trees across my driveway to limit my access. I think they assumed that if I couldn't drive in I wouldn't be hunting there. They did it 2-3 days before the opening of our 9 day gun deer season.

we have problems too . it seems most people live the , " it's all about me " life style . we have to allow access to ATV's / UTV's during the off season . we lock it up , and patrol it during hunting season . this past season we had a few guys arrested , one guy arrested twice . we do get some damage , and litter , but we have to deal with it . I just repaired the one target stand that was broke apart . locking the gate only keeps the honest guys out .

gate sign.jpg

P6160305.JPG

P7110441.JPG

Only had a problem with one ranch that I had permission to hunt. It's the one that I took young kids on their first deer hunts. A hunting parnr and I also had permission to hunt the place so it was a great deal for us. One evening as it was getting lae, my hunting parner and I were headed back to go home and eat dinner when off in the south pasture we saw a truck moving slowly. Didn't pay all that much attention as it was getting dark and thought it might be one of the ranch hands doing something.

We showed up at the place the next morning just before sunrise and the rancher was waiting for us, madder'n hell. Seems someone drove through a few fences, shot several deer and just eft them lay. He knew we'd hunted the afternoon before so thought we did it. We told him we'd seen a truck about 5:30 PM or so as we were walking back to our vehicle and gave him the description and color as best we could considering it was getting quite dark. He told us we were no longer welcome to hunt his ranch. AFAIK, the guys that did this were never caught. We lost a nice place to hunt and several kids that would have done their first hunt lost out as well.

I've always liked the sign that said, "TRESPASSERS WILL BE SHOT. SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN."
Paul B.

The first picture dated 4/14 looks like he has a shed in his hands.
Nail him with recreational trespassing. The third offense becomes a felony, at least in MI. Too bad if it gets to that but it's HIS CHOICE!

JD338
The first one I’m clueless , the second one my son thinks he might know who it is. Either way it sucks having someone tramping through your property. It’s one thing following wounded game but this here is crap.

I got to where I didn’t take kindly to trespassing on my acreage.

Seems people thought shut, but not locked gates, with conspicuously posted no trespassing signs didn’t apply to them. If I caught you I’d use my truck to make you back out the way you came.

When someone said they would turn around I let know that they weren’t welcome to turn around and would block any attempt to do so with my vehicle.

Pretty soon word got around and I had a significant decrease in trespassers. If you came up to the property because you were lost or stuck in the snow I had no problem helping you. Thinking you could just drive on my property, shortcut to a couple folks places, got you a not so friendly welcome.

Vince

I guess for the most part I am of a different mindset or live in a different area. I understand not putting up with any type of nefarious behavior, but there is 6.5 acres of woods on the ridge behind my house that technically is still my Dad's, but it's not posted and as long as I have anything to say about it, it never will be.

The 15 acres to the east of me is not posted, and approximately another 15 acres to the west that is not posted. There is 1 land owner next to that going west that I have to get around, and after that another 55 acres I can walk through and hunt.

Do I have people walk through the land behind my house during hunting season? Yes. But they are people I know in one form or another. Heck a gang even drives the ridge off late in the first week or in the second week of deer season coming through right behind my house. I've had shots 75 yds from my house. Big deal. I know who they are and they aren't shooting towards the house, so what's it hurt?

I don't usually have a problem killing my buck. 2 yrs ago I killed one of the nicer ones I've killed just over the line on my neighbors property.

Not speaking to Hunter7 as that's a little different circumstance, but I've also never understood the reasoning why 1 or 2 people have to ruin it for everyone else. Why not deal with the trouble makers and allow the people not causing problems to continue as they have. When somebody gets caught doing 100 mph in a 30 mph zone, the state doesn't shut down the road and take my license and driving privilege's.

If crap ever breaks down, and it is coming some day........those that think they have enough and will make it on their own are kidding themselves. 50 of your "neighbors" that are really just strangers if there's no trust between you, will just come take it. And if 50 isn't enough, 100 will be.

I've had conversations with plenty of people in my area discussing how we will take care of each other if need be. I know people around here that if I was 2 states away and in a bad spot, I could call at midnight and they would be on their way as quick as they could get there, no questions asked. There's not enough gold in Fort Knox to buy that, but it didn't happen by accident.

Back