Trigger for Rem 721

shoots_5

Handloader
May 15, 2009
I've got a remington 721 that i would like to put a better trigger on. Have done a bit of searching but mostly just find Rem 700 triggers....are they interchangeable? If so, how easy of a swap is it? I've never replaced a trigger before....

Thanks,

Tim

I have both, and have swapped trigggers between them. Same trigger for both rifles, and aftermarket M700 triggers should work for you too.

Your factory trigger can be "fixed" as well. What do you want the new trigger to do?

jim

Thanks Jim! I want it to break cleanly at 2.5 pounds. It's a rifle that is slowly being transformed into a long range hunting rifle and the current trigger breaks at about 6 pounds. I was considering a Timney as I've had good luck with them on other rifles but wasn't sure if the rem 700 model would work on the 721.

Thanks!

Tim

Is the 721 trigger adjustable like the 700? If so, I bet you can get it down in the 3lb range without much trouble, and perhaps into the 2lb range. It's not hard to adjust the trigger if you're careful and understand what you're doing. I can offer some advice if you need it, but I'd like to have a conversation with you about it first, so you don't hurt yourself or ruin your rifle.

The Mike Walker trigger design was used on the 721/722 and the 700 up until Rem changed to the XMarkPro design recently. They can be adjusted, and it isn't difficult. You can find directions with your favorite search engine.

jim

Just finished adjusting the stock trigger and was able to get it down to 2.5 pounds with no backlash and very little creep. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. And yes, I did all the safety checks of slamming the bolt and banging the butt on the ground and checking the safety. Everything seems to be working just fine! Which is nice because that frees up the money I had saved up for a trigger job to use on something else.....I'm thinking a muzzle break might be next on the list and then a new stock.

What do you all think, break or stock first? And any experiences with different types of breaks? I was thinking of going with a Vias due to claim that it doesn't add much noise.

Oh, and it was a good thing I adjusted it....the goop that they put on the screws at the factory was basically gone....the sear screw turned easily without removing any of it!!! Could have been a dangerous situation had I not remedied it....

Thanks,

Tim

I would look @ doing the stock first...
#1 you should potentially gain performance out of such and upgrade.
#2 stock design / style could also potentially help with felt recoil. I'm a fan of the Simms recoil pads myself.

#3 "IF" you are 100% set on using a muzzle brake, then I'd recommend the Vias like you've stated. I have two guns with brakes, one on a .280 that is a generic style that works great. However :shock: :shock: :shock: had better have your hearing protection on. Issue being, I don't carry it, wear it when hunting so that rifle doesn't leave the safe much anymore.

I do have a Vias on my .300RUM - Works great and is tremendously better in the sound dept ! It's at least not in the painful category to use without protection when hunting.

Thanks Powerstroke.

Anyone have any experience with this brake?
http://home.earthlink.net/~oregunsmithing/id10.html

Cheaper than the Vias and local to me so I wouldn't have to ship it. Just wondering if anyone has experience with the noise level and recoil reduction.

I'm also considering having the gun cerakoted....anyone have any first hand experience with it? Good or bad? There is some bluing on it that is rubbed off and rather than having it reblued I thought that might be a good option as it's about the same price.

Back