Trophy grade scope

TODD6336

Beginner
Nov 15, 2011
I HAVE A TROPHY GRADE RIFLE ON ORDER IN 300 WSM. I WANT A TOP QUALITY SCOPE FOR IT WITH A 42 or 44 MM OBJECTIVE. MY THOUGHTS ARE SWAROVSKI,LEICA,or SCHMIDT & BENDER. I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH ANY OF THEM. IS THERE ANY REAL DIFFERANCE BETWEEN THEM? THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT

Welcome to the forum, Todd. You have named some top quality glass. I would imagine you would be quite pleased with any of the scopes you named. I have Leupold, Zeiss, Kahles and Swarovski scopes on my rifles. I am quite pleased with each of these brands. The quality of the scopes you named is exceptional, with great twilight factors and clarity. I've not hunted with Schmidt & Bender, but it is only because of availability in my neck of the woods. I've handled several Leica scopes and do own a Leica Geovid for ranging. It is quality glass, for certain. I own four Swarovski Z6 scopes, and could be very happy if all my scopes were Swarovski. I own several Zeiss Diavari scopes and a couple of Conquest scopes at the present. I am every bit as pleased with the Diavari (now marketed as the Victory) scope as with the Swarovski. Kahles is another brand that is very good. It is no longer the bargain it once was as it has been "discovered," and the price is quite a bit more than when I was picking up my scopes. I own two Leupold VX7 scopes, and I have a VX6 on the way this month. The VX7 compares very favourable to any of the European scopes I've handled. Recently, I've worked with a few Minox scopes, and consider them to be exceptional value. I don't expect the prices to remain as low as they are currently when people discover how very clear they are. Of the scopes you named, I'd recommend that you pick up the scope that gives you the most eye relief and that is the best price. You won't be disappointed in the quality of any of them.

I am with Mike. You cannot go wrong with any of the scopes mentioned. All of them are excellent glass. Scotty

Me also. I have (2) Kahles, (1) Swarovski and a Zeiss Diavari. No S&B but all of these scopes are top-of-the-line. I think it comes down to feature preference and maybe color rendition preferences with these scopes. All of them will give you top optical performance, no questions asked or they will make it good. One thing to think about is, that Swarovski has discontinued a couple of their older lines (i.e. Professional Hunter) anf you can buy a $2000+ optic for about $1200. This is really a good optic for a good price.

This is a serious discount for a time proven scope design which has been used by African PH's for years but they do not have the magnification range that the new scopes have of 5x versus 3x. If that is not important to you, you might consider one of these clearance scopes. They are all Swarovski and have all of the coatings and optical technology, just not the magnification range.

Leica's history in rifle scopes has been a little spotty... in the market, off the market, in the market again. I'm a little leery of that. With other option that are the equal of Leica, I'd be tempted to look elsewhere, and let somebody else be the guinea pig.

I do want to try an S&B Summit awfully bad.

I FOUND A DEAL ON A LEICA I COULD NOT PASS UP SO THAT IS WHAT IS GOING TO SIT ON MY TRG. I CAN NOT WAIT TO GET IT TOGETHER AND SEE WHAT THE GUN DOES

TODD6336":3uzr6on3 said:
I FOUND A DEAL ON A LEICA I COULD NOT PASS UP SO THAT IS WHAT IS GOING TO SIT ON MY TRG. I CAN NOT WAIT TO GET IT TOGETHER AND SEE WHAT THE GUN DOES

Todd,

Great for you and welcome to the forum. Glad you're here with us :wink:

BTW: Internet etiquette dictates that capitalization of all words on any forum is the equivalent of shouting... FYI

Todd,

Welcome to the forum.
Congratulations on the M48 Trophy Grade rifle. The scope choices you listed are all excellent.
Post some pictures when you get your new rifle.

JD338

Leica makes a quality product. I believe you'll be pleased with what you have.

FOTIS":17k718yx said:
TODD6336":17k718yx said:

Todd,

Great for you and welcome to the forum. Glad you're here with us :wink:

BTW: Internet etiquette dictates that capitalization of all words on any forum is the equivalent of shouting... FYI

Man, I would probably be yelling too if I just scored a Nosler rifle and Leica scope! Ha! Scotty

The Leica scope and the Model 48 ought to be a potent and eye catching combination. I have some Leica binocs and like them alot.

I have a Leica rangefinder and man it is some clear glass. That rifle/scope combo should be a great hunting rig.

I think you scored very well! I have a pair of compact Leica Ultravid binoculars 10x25's and I love those things! Very clear and sharp. :wink:
David

I also have a pair of Leica Ultravid binoculars and they are very good optics. I have never bought a Leica scope but with some of the trade in deals that they have been offering lately, I would be tempted to try one. I hope that you enjoy yours.

Back