Truck/Camp Rifle?

Here where an ornery black bear or 2 legged varmint is the worst one can expect...my Glock 32 will suffice for most situations.

That said... if I were to pack a rifle, it'd be my Henry 41 mag carbine wearing the Leupold VX3i 1.5-5x20.

Short, quick, and plenty of power for anything around here when loaded with 210 grain Swift A-Frames.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My Marlin 1894S in 41 Rem Mag would be a great camp gun too...hadn't really thought of that as I have the other Marlins with a little more punch for hairy guests in the night.

Did find another truck gun yesterday though...a Marlin in .410! JM stamped in really nice condition and fitted with a green fibre optic front sight. Would be fun for ruffies and hares,and yet would do in a pinch with slugs.
Have always wanted a lever action .410; should be a lot of fun!
LGS was out of ammo, so will have to search around.

Blkram":1t9tv1dg said:
My Marlin 1894S in 41 Rem Mag would be a great camp gun too...hadn't really thought of that as I have the other Marlins with a little more punch for hairy guests in the night.

Did find another truck gun yesterday though...a Marlin in .410! JM stamped in really nice condition and fitted with a green fibre optic front sight. Would be fun for ruffies and hares,and yet would do in a pinch with slugs.

My oldest son was asking what I knew about lever action .410's not long ago. I told him about the Marlins. He might be after one of those himself, one of these days. (y)

Guy

When I lived in Nevada I had one of those Indian blanket seat covers in my 79 Ford F150 4X4 that had a sleeve in the front where you could slip a rifle. It also had deep pockets in the front that a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag. rode in quite nicely. Most to the time I had a Kodiak Mauser in .243 as I liked to take a boondock road to and from work for a chance at the occasional coyote.
After the move to Tucson I ended up with a smokin' deal on a Winchester M94 30-30, put a receiver sight on it and it rode in the sleeve until the day I sold the truck. Bought a 93 Toyota 4X4 and rigged a sling behind the seat to hold scabbard and the 30-30 rode there until I sold that truck. None of the vehicles since have been all that nice about having a convenient rifle handy unless you consider it laying next to the seat beside you. Not a cool way when in town.
Paul B.

Wish a guy could still find those seat covers w/ the "scabbard". My crown vic needs 'em. :) CL

PS- Call me crazy, but every time I see on of those old Savage bolt actions with a side mount base and a K-4 in 30-30 I want to take it home for a "truck gun", and I cant even heist my fat butt up into an F-250 anymore. :cry: :) CL

I usually have a G29 10mm fairly close by or my new favorite is the SBH 480 Ruger when carrying a handgun. My AR15 or 45-70 with the 2.5X Leupold is pretty danged handy and slips under my back seat pretty nicely. Lately I have a little Sako 222 Rem I have been toting along that is wickedly accurate and plenty of juice for anything I run across at home. Hard to beat a good AR15 though in my opinion, short, easy to put into action quick, low powered optics and I am not too worried about it getting scratched or banged up. A mag full of 77 grain TMK's works at near or far.

I always kept a New England single shot .30-30 in the camper when we were camping. I have a 20 gauge barrel for it that I’ll throw on too for in the truck. Keep a slug handy for a close up bear and shot shells for grouse. Washington doesn’t allow the gun to be loaded in a vehicle so the single shot is handy. If I was in Montana, Or someplace that the gun could have cartridges in it, I’d carry one of my lever action rifles with cartridges in the tube but the chamber empty.

I keep a Ruger SBH 7.5" 44 Mag with me wherever I go. Never know when you're going to need it for any 2 or 4 legged critters... As for a rifle, usually just my Ruger Target 223.

Guy Miner":2kemuofc said:
Blkram":2kemuofc said:

My oldest son was asking what I knew about lever action .410's not long ago. I told him about the Marlins. He might be after one of those himself, one of these days. (y)

Guy

Henry makes .410 shotguns as well. I highly suggest them over a Marlin. Excellent quality stuff from Henry.

Always a pistol with me. Camping? 10mm or 44 or 45 acp

Rifle? Use to be a lever but now this 16" barrelled Ruger predator in 7.62x39mm

Can not beat it!

KBFYqYbl.png

pZ63UUhl.png

I like a 12ga 870 with buckshot in camp. Black bears are the biggest 4 legged threat....when it comes to people though..."I am polite and professional but have a plan to kill everyone I meet". Has kept me safe so far! ha As a rule, my dad's old Ruger Single Six with .22 Magnum cylinder or a 4" 38 special with DTs 158 HC in warmer months, or hiking. If I want more, nowadays its either a glock 20(230gr DT hc) or 23 (140 Penetrators)
If I am hunting with a guide, etc, I carry only my rifle. But I will have a handgun in my kit, somewhere.

20" Mossberg 500 12ga for me. Usually with buckshot. With a choke tube in it, the pattern holds together well enough to make 50 yards from me a dangerous place to get stupid. No Grizzlies here or anywhere I go so a black bear, mountain lion or 2 legged wolf is all I have to worry about. A 10mm Glock would be nice! I had a Ruger pc9 on order right after Corona hit and everything went stupid so I cancelled it instead of waiting indefinitely...

Depends on the scenario. A 9mm hi-cap goes with me EVERYWHERE these days. Sign of the times.

After that, different scenarios call for different guns. A Taurus M66 .357 is the most common. I carry a small amount of 158 Speer full power, and usually a box or 2 of cast 158s for some casual target plinking.

If I'm camping "out West," or someplace that's funny about out of state handguns, I bring my cabin gun. A sporterized M1917 in 30-06. It looks like it's been through a war or 2, and gone on a lot of hunts and horseback rides. It still shoots very well. It's quite accurate at distance with my standard M1 load, and accurate enough with 180gr Norma Oryx. It is one rifle I have that I expect to work in any conditions.

Recently, there have been some issues with dangerous criminal elements in remote areas in my part of the country. When local laws allow, an AR 15 carbine goes with. It usually stays in the truck, but just this summer I felt the need to lock, load and carry it around camp. A police chase ended with a crash and flight into the woods 1/4 mile from the campsite. 3 armed suspects were at large. 30 Vmaxs in the tube was quite comforting in that scenario.

Guy being a product of the 30's and 40's everyone had a 30/30 and it was visible in the rear window. Of course our trucks then didn't have back seats, or 4 wheel drive on the fly or all wheel drive or power steering and if you were born and raised on a farm you made sure you got the middle seat. It is amazing how few kids today know why that was important (-:

And how few use a 30/30--but glad to see you do
You can always tell the real cowboy by where he sat in the truck.
The real cowboy’s the one in the middle. Because you don’t have to drive and you don’t have to mess with the gates.

Vince

There’s not really anything here in Ohio that a body would need protection from other than 2 legged critters. When in the woods I always have my hunting rifle/shotgun handy and I‘ll have my 1911 on my right hip. I have it equipped with a Wolf recoil and hammer spring, recoil buffer, and 45 Super nitrided barrel. When out alone hunting I’ll load Underwood 45 Super. That gives 1170 fps with 230gr Gold Dots. For everyday carry it’s normal 45 ACP. It will fire either interchangeably.

Back