Turkey Guns/Loads

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
What gun/loads do you fellas use for Turkey hunting?

I use a Remington 11-87 Super Mag 12 ga 3 1/2" Magnum with a Pure Gold .670" choke and Hevi-Shot 2 1/4 oz #5. I am going to try the new Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend loads, 2 1/4 oz of 5, 6, 7. It seems to be a very consistant load.

JD338

I have an 11-87 3" with a 21" barrel. The gun really performs well with a Hastings 0.655" extended choke tube. I also like Federal #6 shot 2 oz. turkey with the flite control wad. Very tight at 25 yards and on out to 40. :grin: :grin:

The Federal Flight Control wad does shoot tight, in fact too tight for beginners.
I put a big Tom in my nephews lap 2 years ago, he missed him at under 10 yards but flattened him with a follow up shot at 30 yds.

JD338

You're right JD. The flite control wads are very tight and it is a real possibility that you can miss. I practice a lot to ensure the shot is spot on. These loads from federal are hammers. I have shot remingtons hevi shot #6 and their duplex 4 x 6. They are very adequate, but not quite as tight as the federals. My favorite load was Activ 3" turkey #6 2 1/4 oz. They are no longer made, but they were tight and powerful. I think their factory burned down. I still carry a few though. :grin: :grin:

I had some of those Active loads, an all red plastic hull, no brass. They kicked like a mule in my 870 and the patterns were not very good.

I really like the Hevi-Shot loads, they shoot a great even pattern through the Pure Gold choke.

JD338

I've yet to try it yet but I recently got a primos jelley head .665 choke and a box of #5 hevi-shot to try patterning through my 870 3.5" super mag. I've also got a box of #5 winchester supremes from days gone by to try with this new choke, but I'm hoping the hevi-shots work out.

Recently, I also got a 20 ga barrel for my Encore. I purchased a tight-wad .570 turkey choke and #6 hevi-shot and #5 winchester supreme 3" shells to try out on the pattern board.

I'm looking forward to spring turkey season only a month and a half away, and testing these loads between now and then when I can find the time.

I run a Beretta 390 synthetic for just about everything. I have an Undertaker choke, not sure who makes it, HS Strut maybe? I shot a bunch of loads and it really likes Winchester 3" high velocity lead 5's. I have one of those saddle mounts where you replace the trigger mechanism pins with a simmons diamond reticle 4x scope on it that I put on for turkey season each spring. Pretty simple, put head in diamond, pull trigger, start up deep fryer.

I have a 870 Super Mag and a 665 Stardot extended ported choke and use the 3 1/2 Federal or Winchester 2oz #5 high velocity load. It shoots so tight I had to put a scope on it to keep from missing a close bird. I have not tried any of the newer loads because when I found that my gun liked the above load I bought up quite a few boxes when Wal-mart put them on sale at the end of the season a few years ago. I am one for the "If it ain't broke don't try to fix it crowd". One thing that I might try is the new Timney trigger sear and springs they have just come out with for the Rem 870. You can adjust the trigger pull by changing the springs out after you put in the new sear and set you trigger pull weight. You can even get it down to between 2 and 3 pounds if you want it. This will be great for those shooting scopes and for slug gun shooting.

I also shoot a Remington 11-87 Super Mag with the 26" barrel and a Primos Jelly Head choke. I am shooting the Remington Hevi Shot #5's. My secondary load is my H&R Single Shot 10 gauge Turkey Special, I shoot Winchesters 3.5" Copper Plated Lead 5's out of it. Both shotguns do a great job at blasting turkeys. Scotty

Haven't hunted 'em in years.Last two I killed were with a 25-06.
Yes,here in Tx it is legal to hunt turkeys,spring and fall with a rifle.Rimfires are legal also.My brother uses a Savage 93 in 17HMR.

Can't believe you guys did not mention Nitro Ammunition Co. line of shotgun ammo. It will put up to 10 extra yards of effective range on your shotgun in some cases. It is the most EXPENSIVE and EFFECTIVE shot shell for turkey I have ever shot. I use the H-378 3" shell with 4x5x7 Hevi shot. 50 yds is not a problem with a Jellyhead choke in a Beretta 390.

Remington 870 19" barrel SPS Turkey
.660 Kicks choke
Nitro H378 4x5x7 Hevi shot or Hevi13 #6

Mossberg 835 24" nonported - aka The Punisher
.676 Star Dot choke
Hevi13 #6 3.5" 2oz or Win #6 3.5" HV lead

I have killed one turkey. 2 3/4" federal 1 1/2oz of #6 lead. out of my rem 1100 with 21" remchoke barrel with a truelock .700" extended choke. If i go again, i'll shoot my 1 1/2oz #6 reloads. The area i hunt also has a spring bear hunt at the same time, Hard to decide. 8lb turkey or 400lb bear.

Back