Turkey hunting blind or no blind..

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
I prefer hunting light when I go for turkey. But when you take someone new, maybe a blind is a good idea...

This one guy... we’re in and hunkered down. I sat about 20 yards behind him to call the birds to him... well... now he’s got his phone out and he’s making a video for his adult son and narrating it...
So much for sitting still... and it gets better.. it was a slow morning and he falls asleep.. I got a Tom there, but he’s snoring away... I’m tossing Little Rock’s to try to wake him up...needless to say... we didn’t get our bird that day.

If I had taken a blind, he could have taken his video and his nap...

My son got me too... also feel asleep...

I guess we’re good at that.

First time you take a new turkey hunter out... take a blind... I suppose a good talk might help too..

My favorite turkey hunt, I had to belly crawl in 18” tall grass to get close.. stopped the crawl at about 75 yards.. then called a Tom over... used a 20 gauge and the Tom did not flop.

My hunt will be in May this year... soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a portable stake blind, mostly because my old knees need stretched every few minutes..It rolls up to about the size of a closed umbrella.,And yeah a new or young hunter I try to use a blind, especially with turkey. Their ability to pick out anything astounds me. My dad used to say "With 'dem eyes a turkey's got, if they could smell like a deer, you'd never kill one".

I have used a blind for bow hunting birds and taking out new hunters. My favorite way to hunt is to Run and Gun.
I've killed many Tom's right off the roost. Knowing where they are roosting is key. Get in before light and set up 100 yards away. It's exciting to see a strutting Tom's blue head floating towards you at first light!
I got my Tom this year opening day from the ground. He had a 9 7/8" beard and 1 1/8" spurs.
I love turkey hunting.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20210417_191242360_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210417_191242360_HDR.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 1,330
I've stopped using a blind for the most part. It's just one more thing to take a long.
There are days I don't take a decoy for the same reason.

Closest bird to us on Saturday was a mile away. Well, until I got home and there were 5 huge toms around the corner from us...

DrMike":31t4ym4o said:
Beautiful bird in a brilliant display, Jim. Congratulations.
You might need to make a road trip for a Michigan Turkey! So much fun to call in. Eat super good, especially if you slow smoke them!

JD338":3f4f31py said:
I have used a blind for bow hunting birds and taking out new hunters. My favorite way to hunt is to Run and Gun.
I've killed many Tom's right off the roost. Knowing where they are roosting is key. Get in before light and set up 100 yards away. It's exciting to see a strutting Tom's blue head floating towards you at first light!
I got my Tom this year opening day from the ground. He had a 9 7/8" beard and 1 1/8" spurs.
I love turkey hunting.

JD338
Nice Tom! Hope Sue fills her tag(filled).

I’m so ready to get out. May 1 (0234).

I love to hunt without a blind when I am alone. It is awesome to have a bird get in close and be face to face with him. However most of my hunts these days are with either a 5 or 7 yr old so the blind is a necessity.

I’ve used blinds for rainy weather, but mainly when carrying kids. I do prefer to be out in the open with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JD, that is an absolutely outstanding bird, a wonderful, beautiful bird, congratulations.

I do it the hard way, I sit at the kitchen window and watch the lawn behind my house. Usually drinking a glass or two of diet coke. I have my trusty shotgun beside me, loaded and ready to go. As I see them coming into range, I check the focus on my cell phone while waiting patiently. It can be intense, but soon one wanders into range, and I snap a shot , check it for clarity and head about my daily business. It's really too easy so I let them walk on by to the other side of the house, across the road and up on the hill. Exhausting to say the least. Have great day all. (y) (y)

mjcmichigan":35p84m3z said:
DrMike":35p84m3z said:
You might need to make a road trip for a Michigan Turkey! So much fun to call in. Eat super good, especially if you slow smoke them!

That sounds as if it would be a delightful excursion. Unfortunately, the border is presenting some difficulties at the moment. Then, again, Gretchen might take exception to my presence! :shock:

DrMike":26th0eyj said:
mjcmichigan":26th0eyj said:
DrMike":26th0eyj said:

That sounds as if it would be a delightful excursion. Unfortunately, the border is presenting some difficulties at the moment. Then, again, Gretchen might take exception to my presence! :shock:
We’ll have to have you when she’s down in Florida!

mjcmichigan":1ybsnzqo said:
DrMike":1ybsnzqo said:
mjcmichigan":1ybsnzqo said:
DrMike":1ybsnzqo said:

We’ll have to have you when she’s down in Florida!

(y)

It does seem as if she is exempt from following her own rules and recommendations. :?

Back