Turkey - Need some advice

AzDak42

Handloader
Jan 26, 2012
So miracle of miracles, I scored a Turkey tag in Arizona this year. :grin:

But, for all the firearm collecting I've done in the last decade, I came to realize that the only shotguns I own are designed for 2 legged varmints, not gobblers.

I know, quite the horrible situation right? I'm fine with the buy once, cry once school of thought, but want to make sure I get something that fits the bill.

Right now I have a few options I'm kicking around, and I'd appreciate the sage advice of any experienced turkey hunters.

I'm sort of in a four way tie and can't decide. Do I limp in, with an inexpensive 870 turkey gun that will get me up and running and still be parts compatible with my 870P? Do I go middle of the road and get a Mossberg 930 Turkey gun? Or.. Do I go nuts with either a Benelli Vinci Turkey model or, a more appealing option is to get an Benelli M4 and just add a turkey choke. It's only a 19" barrel, but it can do double duty as a nice upgrade to my 3 gun setup.

Thoughts?

I'm probably over thinking this a tad.. as a crap ton of birds have been bagged over the years to whatever waterfowl shotgun someone had handy.

A 26" barrel is what I use along with a .670" turkey choke.
All you need is a turkey choke and maybe some rib mount sights. You could also get a saddle mount and use a red dot scope. Add this to an existing shotgun and you are set to go.

As for loads, the Hevi Shot Mag Blend ammo is excellent!

JD338

Back