Under $200 binocs ideas

BretN

Handloader
Jan 22, 2015
I think some local vermin wandered off with my compact binos I use in the woods on stand that I keep in my truck. Or perhaps they are just lost in the house. Either way, I'm in the market for new 7-8x binocs.

I won't spend more than $200 or close to it, it just isn't in the cards. Would like your thoughts on sub $200 binocs. Porro prism or roof lenses? Thanks, Bret

...I've had a pr. of these for 5-6yrs. now, I'd match the optical quality w/ about anything 2-3X more $...

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/steine ... rFamily=02

...they do come in an 8X, but I really prefer the 10X, especially around here. If you're worried about field of view, you loose about 30' @ 1Kyds., or about a mil to a 42mm. Daylight or dusk, well, a 42mm might gather more light, but the actual amount of light transmitted to your eye is predicated on the rear objective, the transmission qualities of the internal lenses & coatings, in other words, they work just fine. The eyecups are integral silicon instead of hard plastic pop-up, the smaller size & lighter weight means you're more apt to carry them than leave 'em on the dashboard...

I was sold on the Vortex until I spent an afternoon comparing then to the Nikon prostaff 7. You don't get the warranty w/ Nikon but the adjustments were more accurate and easier to live with and the picture was just better to the outside edge by a whisker... to my eye. In the end I decided I couldn't afford either one, for as much as I use them, but I would take either one. If they are gonna live in the truck, I think the Vortex gets another point. CL

Those don't look too bad Scott. Thanks for the heads up. Might be good Christmas presents.

Ha! We're on the same wave length. My kids are getting their own pairs for hunting this fall.(Early Christmas presents).

Scott

Well, I was all revved up to have my family get me new binocs for father's day and was pretty well sold on the Votex 8.5x35 porro prism Raptors for $100 or so. But then I found my Baucsh and Lomb 8x compacts. I had compared the Raptor to the more expensive 8x42 Vortex roof prisms that were about $220 and really couldn't tell the difference. I think it would be hard to tell at most stores unless you showed up at dusk and they let you look out the window. The Raptors did seem better to me than the comparably priced Leupold Yosemite binocs.

I guess what impressed me is that all the optics I looked at were quite good. I still like my B&L compacts and my 10x42 Nikon monarchs, but the coatings and optics on current binocs is all top notch and probably better than my 15-21 year old glass. Thanks for the responses.

Bret

Optics planet, carson binoculars.

8x32 In the 3d line. My father gave my sister a pair of the 10x and they are Very clear, crisp, and bright. The 8x32 are right at your $200 price.

Dad bought one of the carson rifle scopes, equally impressed.

Have a look at the Minox BV II 8x42 binos. I got a pair for my wife from Cabelas when they were on sale, and I must say that I'm very impressed with the quality of the glass in these binos!

I own both Swarovski and Leica binos and range finding binos, so am used to premium glass, and for the money, these little Minox are good.

To be honest, if I were required to replace my high end glass, it would probably be with the high end Minnox binos, that weigh less, are almost half the price and have very comparable glass as the others.

Depends on what you require...My favorites are the 8x30 Leicas but they cost plenty, but I make my living using them...You have to be prepared to give up a lot of detail when you buy $200 binocs, you simply get what you pay for..I would rather shoot iron sights and have a good set of binocs, than a high dollar scope and cheap binocs....

Back