Using 22-250 on Antelope

cutthroat

Beginner
Nov 7, 2006
I have had several guys whom I consider to be some what reliable tell me that I should use my 22-250 for Antelope. Two, in particular, tell me that Federal Vital-shock factory rounds with the 60 grain Partition bullets are all I need. I reload so I am not limited to factory rounds but I want to put the question to the Nosler guys: Is the 22-250 a valid caliber for Antelope out to 300 yards unless the wind is blowing gale force? If so, is the 60 Grain Partition the best choice. I use partitions for the 30.06 and the 300 Win exclusively - I AM a believer.

Contrary to what some will tell you, the 22-250 Rem is a varmint caliber. Yes the 60 gr PT will work on lightly framed animals like Antelope but why would you want to use it when you could use your 30-06 or 300 Win Mag.
The .308 cal 165 gr and 180 gr BT's have a much better BC and will buck the wind much better.
You are going to be dealing with the wind, better to have too much rather than not enough if the wind drifts your bullet a little too far back. :wink:

JD338

JD is right on.
It is legal in MT but not in other states like WY.

IMO the 22-250 is not a big game cartridge.

If you have a 30-06, load a 165 gr. bullet in it and use it, as has been suggested by others on this forum.

Kodiak

cutthroat

I used the 150 gr PT in 30-06 to take a couple of Antelope in WY a few years back. 300 yds was no problem and nice exit wounds.

If I were to use a 30-06 again, I would use a 165 gr or 180 gr AB. I want the higher BC for down range performance.

JD338

If you load and you want a fast bullet, try the 130 grain boat tail in your 300. You will reach velocities very close to your 22-250 and have a higher BC.
I'm w/ JD on this one too, use a heavier bullet in your 30 cal and you will have a much easier time hitting in the wind. IMO, the 22-250 isn't a big game rifle.

The 22-250 will stay in the gun rack unless a coyote shows up and needs some prompting to leave the country. Permanently. We do contend with wind in North Central Montana. Using the 180's in the 300 and 165's in the 30-06 resulted in much, much better 200 yard groups last Saturday in a 20 mph wind then the 22-250. The 300 was not much affected, the 06 more so but still acceptable. The 22-250 even with the 60 grain participation was, how shall we put it, erratic.

I know its late in the thread but here is my 2 cents:

Pronghorn are frail animals and are easy to kill. A well placed shot from your .223 would be sufficient. However, I never mix "marginal" cartridges with "realistic" cartridges for any particular game animal. Actually, I am one of those guys who generally errs on the side of a heavier cartridge than is generally "needed".

When hunting pronghorns, the big consideration in cartridge selection isn't sufficient "killing power", it's sufficient ballistics to deal with the strong winds which commonly prevail in the pronghorn's home range.

Personally, I chose the 7STW with a 162gr A-Max bullet. This decision had nothing to do with my assessment of needed energy on impact but rather dealt with my concern for making a precise hit at long range while dealing with the Wyoming winds.

In the end, I was able to make a near perfect hit on a nice buck @ 465yds. Would a lesser cartridge have been lethal at that range? Probably, but it would have been harder to make an accurate hit with and that was my primary goal. SHOT PLACEMENT ON TARGET!

For antelope, leave the 22-250 in the gun cabinet.!!! Your buddies, may be thinking in your best interest. But are they really? Minimum caliber for antelope should be the .243!.........Use your `06!!!

Charlie-NY":lu7x6o7o said:
Personally, I chose the 7STW with a 162gr A-Max bullet. This decision had nothing to do with my assessment of needed energy on impact but rather dealt with my concern for making a precise hit at long range while dealing with the Wyoming winds.

Charlie-NY,

How does the 162 gr A-Max compare to the 160 gr AB for ballistics, accuracy and on game performance?

JD338

Good decision.........besides, where are your going to hunt pronghorn that the wind is not a significant factor??

I took this one last week in the Texas Panhandle at 292 yards, 20 mph wind, using a 140 gr. AccuBond in my 7mm STW. My 22-250 was with me as well. I used it on a badger I called in.

Good Luck,

Bob

IMG_0951.jpg

Back