Using JB compound

C.Smith

Handloader
Oct 11, 2006
Using the above how do you know when the barrel is clean? Is it normal to have almost black patches come out of the rifle?

Corey

It is normal for the patches to come out black. It is taking all the crud out and leaving metal. When your patch comes out with only the colour of the JB (grey), it is sufficiently clean. At that point, I like to run some lubricant through before the next shot. I use G-96, using a lightly wetted patch followed by two dry patches.

DrMike":3hnyump0 said:
It is normal for the patches to come out black. It is taking all the crud out and leaving metal. When your patch comes out with only the colour of the JB (grey), it is sufficiently clean. At that point, I like to run some lubricant through before the next shot. I use G-96, using a lightly wetted patch followed by two dry patches.

YUP

Okay that helps. I guess I go back to cleaning tomorrow night. I was thinking I was doing a good job before I guess not. The black patches came out after cleaning with Butches bore shine. I don't use brushes but just patch it. Maybe I need to rethink that?

Corey

Corey,

I wrap a nylon brush (one calibre smaller than the bore) with a patch and use that to work the JB throughout the bore. I use the appropriate jag to then run the G96 and clean patches through the bore.

So putting the JB soaked patch on a bore jag sounds like it might be a bad idea, or is it just safer to use a nylon brush?

Corey

The only reason I use a nylon brush is to get a tighter fit. It is perfectly fine to use a jag. I do not let the brush (or jag) with the JB patch complete exit the bore, but push it through and pull it back multiple times before pushing it out for a final time. Because the patch will be dark, I will perform this operation once again to ensure that I have removed all the metal deposits. I inspect the patch and determine if an additional pass is required before pushing a patch wetted with G-96 through the bore, followed by two dry patches.

At any given time, I have multiple rods set up at a cleaning bench; they are tipped with jags and brushes appropriate for the calibres I am carrying on that day. For instance, I'm on my way out the door right now, carrying a 7mm RUM, a 270 WSM, a 7mm RM, a 30-06, a .280 Rem. and a 260 Rem. At the cleaning bench, I'll have rods set up to go with jags and brushes to clean 6.5 mm, 7 mm and .308. I know that I won't need them today (because these are each smooth barrels), but if they were rough, I'd have an extra rod or two set up to take a nylon brush that would be exclusively used for JB if it were needed.

I hope this gives some idea of my procedure when JB is indicated.

I like JB, but I'll also add that if you're having to clean a lot with it, it's time to address the barrel with a different cleaner, or with some JB and elbow grease to smooth things out. I've had to "short stroke" JB on a few barrels in order to smooth them out. It works wonders, but it's time consuming and very tiring. Plan on having "rifle cleaner's elbow" which is like tennis elbow but with a more manly sounding name.

I'm going to suggest you start with a different cleaning regimen. I use to use the bore cleaning foams (Break-Free Foaming Bore Cleaner is my favorite of those) and they work great. Sometimes you need multiple passes, and I always follow them with Hoppe's #9 to be sure everything is flushed out and because clean rifles smell like Hoppe's, plain and simple. But recently I've been turned on to BoreTech Eliminator, and it's the best copper remover I've tried. It gets most of the carbon out, too. What it misses, Hoppe's will get.

If you have a barrel that is rough, and fouls easily (and you're not shooting Barnes bullets, which foul a lot in some barrels), you can still use the JB's short stroke process to smooth the bore and then use Eliminator to clean out the copper when necessary. After a while, the fouling should abate, some. JB's and Eliminator will speed that process up.

That sounds good. Thus is a Savage rifle and it no doubt has a rough barrel. Thanks for all the advise.

Corey

Like DrMike said. I keep all my old worn out brushes and wrap patches around them. Then I have at them!

dubyam":2mi1u7wt said:
I like JB, but I'll also add that if you're having to clean a lot with it, it's time to address the barrel with a different cleaner, or with some JB and elbow grease to smooth things out.

+1

I used JB alot on my Remington 700 VS when I bought it 34 years ago. I have no doubt that I hurried the wear using JB.

Since then I purchased a different cleaner called Sweets which seems to be popular with high power shooters. Very strong ammonia smell to it but I use this everytime I clean one of my rifles. Use it and you won't have copper long. Do not let this stuff sit in the barrel long though, I'm sure it would pit.

I have used sweets before but don't like the smell for one but it also does not address carbon. I think I currently have a bunch of carbon build up in the first few inches of my barrel. I spent the better part of an hour working JB through my Savage and the patches have come out lighter but still not quite the same color as the patches started. I may just leave it and call it good unless it shoots like crap.

Corey

Back