Varmint-Deer Combo Rifle

Has to be my 6mm Remington with 100 gr. Nosler Partitions at 3100 fps. Wearing a Harris pivoting bi-pod, 6x42mm Leupold, and the slender model of the Claw sling.

I'm looking for a used Ruger Hawkeye Sporter with the laminate stock in a short action so I can put a 24" 6mm Rem barrel on it, or a used Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS in 243 so I can pull the barel on that one and put a new 6mm barrel on it. Either one of these would be great . I think I might even get my first variable for myself EVER too on this one as I can afford, and if I do it will be the 4.5x14-40 mm Leupold.

I might have to eyeball those CDL SF Limited's when they come out as well. Just hate the stories of late on Remington, and I like the longer magazine box on both the Ruger and Winchester so I can seat the bullets out a little further. In this new rifle I think I might even try to work a load with the 90gr. E-tip of the new AccuBond fo the same weight! I know the E-tip sure has impressed me in my boy's Ruger 6mm!

002-1.jpg

If I were to pear down the battery, I would still have rifles that "could" be considered versatile and able to use on a variety of game. I have hunted coyotes with my 6.5JDJ, 7x30 Waters, 45 ACP, 280AI, 338 RUM and 45-70. What ever works right?
We all know that wouldn't be fun to only have 3-4 rifles for all our hunting needs!
A few short years back, most hunters only had a couple of rifles and that is why the gun manufactures marketed some cartridges as varmint/deer calibers, such as the 243 Win, 244 Rem/6mm Rem, 257 Roberts, etc. Just curious where the forum members thoughts on this are.

JD338

Hey JD, I concur with the 700 classic 257 Roberts. Mine has smacked more yotes than I can recall. But I think it would be more prefect varminter if I could get those 100 gr Etips to shoot in it but still hang in there for deer and antelope.

beretzs":1tzbfag5 said:

My son's gonna have a rig very much like that fairly soon... maybe without sights, as I'm not sure the new SPS youth (or 'yute') models have them. I'm sure I'll have a McSwirley so I can 'test loads' and such. :p A 2-7 VX II is a great first scope.

Out to as far as most people can and will ever shoot, a 25-06 is about the best you can get coming from the factory for a dual purpose caliber. Shoots flat, hits hard, accurate, easy on the shoulder, not to bad on the pocket book.

If you do more deer hunting at longer ranges I think the 2506 w/115s or 120's are 10x the caliber then the 243 is only being able to shoot 100g bullets at a slower MV none the less. If your doing more coyote hunting, and your not shooting deer past 400-500 yards more often then not, then a 243 is also a great dual purpose round. I tend to like it more for a specialized coyote only caliber for me.

Id take a 25-06 in a winchester 70 classic sporter for an off the shelf varmint/deer rifle anyday of the week, wait a second, I had one of them...

Too bad Winchester currently is not chambering anything with Remington's name on it, except maybe a .22-250, 7-08, 7mm Mag or a .416. (Really? 7-08 over .25-06?)

remingtonman_25_06":2iun7dnf said:
Out to as far as most people can and will ever shoot, a 25-06 is about the best you can get coming from the factory for a dual purpose caliber. Shoots flat, hits hard, accurate, easy on the shoulder, not to bad on the pocket book.

If you do more deer hunting at longer ranges I think the 2506 w/115s or 120's are 10x the caliber then the 243 is only being able to shoot 100g bullets at a slower MV none the less. If your doing more coyote hunting, and your not shooting deer past 400-500 yards more often then not, then a 243 is also a great dual purpose round. I tend to like it more for a specialized coyote only caliber for me.

Id take a 25-06 in a winchester 70 classic sporter for an off the shelf varmint/deer rifle anyday of the week, wait a second, I had one of them...

Are you being converted to be a Winchester guy again! Big Red is creeping up on alot of folks!

BK. Your statement makes me really wish Winchester would chamber the 25-06 and maybe a 280 in their line of rifles. I am sure it is coming, but I would have much rather had a Winchester than another Remington. Seems they are adding a caliber or two every year. Scotty

Your statement makes me really wish Winchester would chamber the 25-06 and maybe a 280 in their line of rifles. I am sure it is coming, but I would have much rather had a Winchester than another Remington. Seems they are adding a caliber or two every year.

It is good marketing to move slowly in adding cartridges so as to remain focused on what sells most briskly. This is especially true during the current economic situation. I think we will see cartridges added to the list chambered in the future, but I don't expect a massive expansion at any time soon.

It is okay by me really. As long as they continue to put out good, solid and accurate rifles, it is an easy rebarrel to most common calibers anyhow. Scotty

Doesn't having only one gun take all the fun out of constantly buying new guns. Every week I seem to be able to justify buying something that I "need". I have a 6mm varmits/deer, 7mm-08 deer, 7mm mag anything i want to shoot, 30-06 (doesn't everyone). Now I have just decided, I "need" the Remington trifecta 8mm Remington Magnum.

If I had to do it all with one I'd go with a 6.5-06 with the 130gr AccuBond. I've long wanted one of these but since I already have a 264 I've never built one. I wouldn't want one for prairie dogs, but for my use predators/deer/antelope I think it would be a good balance. I live where the wind always blows and would choose the higher bc bullets over the 25 cal. A 6mm or 6mm-06 would also be a good choice but for deer I'd rather have the heavier bullet for penetration on angled shots.

Or you could just use a 270 with 140gr accubonds, but that sounds way to easy.

That 6.5-06 sounds like a good one. Or even an AI! It is hard to decide between that and the 6.5WSM. Both have alot of appeal to me. Scotty

I don't know................I have tried them all over the years and in the end I settled on the .25's as the varmint/deer/antelope combo rifle. Varmints for me are coyotes, the odd porcupine, wolves, nothing smaller. Our deer up here are big bodied and not unusual to get big bucks well over 300 pounds. I find the .24's to be a bit light and the 6.5's are great but not needed as I rarely shoot beyond 400-500 yards. Each to their own.....what ever suits your fancy.

beretzs":3h6usx9v said:
BK. Your statement makes me really wish Winchester would chamber the 25-06 and maybe a 280 in their line of rifles. I am sure it is coming, but I would have much rather had a Winchester than another Remington. Seems they are adding a caliber or two every year. Scotty

I'd probably own a bunch of M70s if they were a little more interesting in the chamberings they offer. I have always thought 'Remington Mountain Rifle' when I think of the .280, but I'd probably pick up a .280 in a Featherweight. Or an Extreme Weather. I do wish Winchester would bring back the old Coyote, like Guy has, with the laminate stock/blue receiver/stainless barrel. I'd probably buy one of them in 6mm (like Winchester would ever make that!) or .243, .22-250, and .25-06.

That is a tough question. I'd have to go with 2 calibers...but since that isn't the question I'm thinking (if you reload) the 6mm is the way to go. But me being me I'd probably find a way to use my 7m-08.

Long

My son sets store by his 35+ year old 6mm Remington for both mule deer & rock chucks:

IMG_2308.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

I'm partial to the .25-06, but all these fast-stepping 6mm's & .25's are dandy for a dual purpose rifle. Back 40 years or so ago, Dad and I shot .30-06's for everything. We'd use the 130 gr Speer hollowpoint for varmints - terrific blow up with that bullet... and 180's for bigger stuff. Somewhere in there I switched to 165's for most of my .30 cal shooting.

The .25-06 has done a mighty fine job for me on both mule deer and coyotes/rock chucks.

Grandpa used the .257 Weatherby for both, even back in the 1950's & 1960's... He was happy with it! :grin:

Back