Vectronix Terrapin......

longrangehunter

Handloader
Jun 19, 2011
It's my Birthday and I'll cry if I want too... cry if I want too? Hell no, I got a Vectronix Terrapin! Which I've waited for months for this day to come, not that turning 50 is great or that bad, but I also can't believe I lived this long! Well in some ways at least, turning 50 isn't all that bad..... I at least can look back on my life and be happy I did the things I did when I was a much younger man and experienced life as I saw fit.

I've had a Great life, and now that I'll be able to measure more then life would normally allow.... I'll be pushing the limits on what's out of range for 1st round hits once again! I will be stretching the legs on my Sako TRG-42 338 Lapua Magnum beginning tomorrow morning. So after I've had some meaningful time with the Terrapin I'll post on its usefulness.

Oh, I managed to talk the Company whom I bought it from on sale when there was no sale..... so he thru in a Kestrel 4000 NV in the deal..... Oh Ya, I scored! And I'd like to thank my fellow Canadian's up North for that special deal, that is part of why good things can and do come along every now and then. So thank you very much to those fine people up North in B.C.

So actually I've got nothing to cry about and why would I? Living in such a wonderful period of time in my life and this World we all call Home. Life is good no matter what it brings forth.... just gotta roll with the punches and make the best of everything one has at the time.

Congrats...on it all...living 50 years, the Terrapin, the Sako...all of it.

I bought a rangefinder myself a few days ago...first one I've ever owned, I've always borrowed one from a friend, LOL.

congrats on the terrapin, we have had one for 8 months and can say as far as getting an accurate range on a long distance non reflective target, the terrapin is one of the best out there. 2k is a small price to pay for accurate information.

from what I've read you'll be very , very happy with this rangefinder . I've been shopping around , looking and reading everything I could find on rangefinders . I really think this is the best one on the market for accurate extreme distance readings . I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts after a few days of using this .
I came to the conclusion , that chances are , I'll never have an opportunity to really stretch one out that far so I bought the G7 BR2 rangefinder . with the G7 having the ballistic calculator built in it's one less thing for me to carry in the field .
congratulations on an excellent purchase , and happy birthday ! Jim

Thanks Jim and everyone else for the kind words. But Yes, this is The range finder for ELR shooting. I put out a steel target on the side of a mountain this morning and as luck would have it, it was 1300 yards from the other mountain top I shoot from.... although I got very close, inches away I couldn't actually hit the 19" dia. target with my 338 LM. I noticed even my heart beat would cause the scope to move under these field conditions, but no real wind of any kind was around. Less then 2 MPH, oh well, another day I suppose.

As far as the ranging goes, it's fast to acquire the target, and the optics are very clear. A plus is the Mil reticle in the eye piece, very nice. Gotta go, my very good looking GF is taking me out to dinner and we're are running late!

The beauty of the terrapin is not only how far it can range but the narrow beam it uses, we have ranged between trees eight feet apart past the 1400 yard mark and were able to get accurate readings, I cant do that with my geovids at 800. The only thing i see the terrapin missing is an angle indication, that would be handy as well.

Hey Cole, happy birthday from another Canuck :wink:. I am glad you got your new toy! I purchase a Leica 1600B last October. I did not use it much but for the last month I have really started to get the hang of it. They really are a very useful tool.
Good luck on the Longrange stuff it is very intriguing.

Blessings,
Dan

usmc 89":yo7fo73v said:
The beauty of the terrapin is not only how far it can range but the narrow beam it uses, we have ranged between trees eight feet apart past the 1400 yard mark and were able to get accurate readings, I cant do that with my geovids at 800. The only thing i see the terrapin missing is an angle indication, that would be handy as well.

Jeff , I agree 100% on the terrapin beam size .that beam size is what had me thinking and thinking on this purchase . I'm hoping the near / far button on the G7 will allow it to work in these tighter situations , but I have my doubts . another thing I think would be helpful is a little more magnification . 7 power is not much at 1500 + yards .

Consider yourself lucky you have 7x. The Terrapin is 5x. For such a long distance RF 5x is ridiculous. It should have 10x and that is why I'll probably do like others have and add a Swarovki doubler to mine.

I actually wondered about the Terrapin only having a 5x eye piece myself, but the optics are so clear, and if you mount it to a tripod, ranging is not an issue even on a small 19" diameter at 1300 yards. Which is way out there in anyones opinion? I also think field of view becomes more of an issue as magnification goes up? I use a window mount I have or my tripod for ranging beyond 600 yards so that I get accurate readings. I used to use my GPS for these long range distance shots, which wouldn't work under hunting conditions, and the Terrapin takes ranging to a whole new level...... 5x or not!

true, I have not had any problems ranging a target that I was capable of hitting with the 5x terrapin.

Back