Venison Sirloin

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I assumed my place in the kitchen this evening, trying a new (for me) way to prepare whitetail sirloin. I thawed my steak, pounded it with the edge of a plate, dredged it in flour mixed with salt and freshly ground pepper before browning it in butter. When the steak was browned, I removed it, and sauteed thinly sliced onion. When the onion was translucent, I mixed in a bit of thyme, a bit of tarragon, a little marjoram, a little bit of rosemary together with a liberal amount of smoked paprika and a generous sprinkling of garlic powder. I would estimate that the amounts of thyme, tarragon, marjoram and rosemary were perhaps a quarter teaspoon each. The smoked paprika (hmmm, there must be some Hungarian in my background) was probably a couple of teaspoons and I would estimate that I added about a teaspoon of garlic powder. I also added about a third cup of flour, stirring until I had a thick roux. I then added the steak pieces back to the skillet, covering each with the roux and onions before adding water to just cover the steak. i simmered the entire mixture until it had formed a thick (bright red) gravy. I served this with a three cheese tortellini (hmmmm, maybe I'm Italian!). The sauce (gravy?) was spooned over the tortellini. It was a heavy meal (or so my wife tells me) but she allowed that it looked like a "man meal." The steak was tender enough to cup with a fork and the flavour was exceptional. This could become a household favorite.

Jim,

I'm certain this would have gone very well with potatoes, noodles or rice. However, I had tortellini, so that is what we had to night. When my lady questioned why no vegetables, I noted that rosemary was a vegetable, and that tarragon and thyme counted as a vegetable. It was delicious, nevertheless.

When I am off over Christmas this is something I'll have to try. It really sounds great!

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Long

That sounds pretty good Mike! I am going to have to try that out for sure. Scotty

It is a delightful flavour. I'll be having leftovers for lunch today. My sirloin is boneless, which makes it easy to prepare. I suspect that had I cut it into strips, and simply mixed it into the gravy, it would have been better still.

That sounds like mighty fine eatin' Mike. Drool, drool!

We are havin' antelope backstrap for supper tonight. Carrots, diced taters, gravy and rolls, yum yum.

Back