Vortex PST, first impressions

I'm going need to pick up a bigger scope for this tube gun, the vortex was in the running, along with the Nightforce HVS but the vortex is a tad cheaper. Glad to hear it's tracking true for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the proscess of replacing a scope on my 30-06 and have been looking at a Vortex Viper HS-T 4308 with VMR-1 MRAD Reticle Any thoughts or suggestions on that? Mainly using the scope for deer hunting, distance up to 300 yards and load development. Most of my other scopes are Leupold and am happy with them but I looked at a vortex and was impressed.
Thanks for the reply.

Just picked up a scope for my son-in-law. Given the choice of several scopes, he opted for a Viper HS 2.5-10X44 BDC. Well, he has good taste.

JEM":1k5521n3 said:
I'm in the proscess of replacing a scope on my 30-06 and have been looking at a Vortex Viper HS-T 4308 with VMR-1 MRAD Reticle Any thoughts or suggestions on that? Mainly using the scope for deer hunting, distance up to 300 yards and load development. Most of my other scopes are Leupold and am happy with them but I looked at a vortex and was impressed.
Thanks for the reply.

That's a nice scope, especially if you want to get into long distance shooting. If your longest shot really is out to 300 yards max, you could save a lot of money and get one with a BDC type reticle. If you zero your 06 at 200 yards, it should only drop 7-8" at 300, and even a plex reticle can manage that.

That being said, my last two scopes are BDC style scope and I seldom get shots over 100 yards. But I like the BDC style and that is what I wanted, so that is what I got. Get what you want. The Vortex's I looked at seemed every bit as bright and clear as my Leupold or Nikons.

Bret

JEM":2oznvi15 said:
Thanks for the reply.

For deer hunting to 300 yards or so, I'd just grab a Leupold 4x or 6x and call it good. In fact, I pretty much have. Am using a 6x Leupold on my .25-06 for almost all of my hunting. It works great, out to about a quarter mile so far, or at real close distances as well.

Then again, I'm one of those "simpler is better" kind of guys most of the time.

Regards, Guy

Thanks for your input on the Vortex scope, your right it probably is more scope than I need for what I will use it for. Most of my hunting is in a stand from 50 to 230 yards. Just wanted to try something a little different this year. Evenualy I'll pass this set up to a grandson out west and he will be able to make better use of it.
John

RiverRider":3fl7msup said:
My reservations on Vortex are based on the question of their longevity as a company. They have nothing invested in manufacturing, everything is outsourced as far as physical product goes, so it leaves me wondering whether they'll build a reputation and coast on it and then bleed it dry and fade away. If they do that, then the warranty will be worthless. I know all manufacturers outsource to some extent but I am more confident that Leopold & Stevens is here for the long haul just like Zeiss, Swarovski, and others that have been around since Lincoln was a private.
Interesting...not many Dealers even know Vortex is like the modern day version of Tasco. Timing is often the "rest of the story".

Husband and wife got into sport optics via binoculars, back when Night Force was experiencing major delivery fulfillment issues, and Leupold had just done a great job of improving many of it's models 2009-2011), Euro based optics were so over priced, there was a void. Lucky for Vortex.

I have been using Leupold scopes my whole life and thought they are great scopes (they are)
Then I looked through my buddies Vortex PST(4-16) at dusk side by side with my Leupold VXIII (4-14).
The vortex blew my Leupold away for low light, My next scope is going to be a PST.

Am getting used to this Vortex after 40 years with Leupold scopes.

Additional comments coming soon. Plan on doing a little more range work with it this week. Will drag the camera along.

Guy

Back