Vortex scopes?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
I guess these are gaining popularity. A couple of my buddies are considering a purchase.
Any input on these at all?

I believe they are a bargain for the price. Clarity is good to excellent. To my aged eyes, they compare favourably to Leupold. They seem to track well. The warranty appears to be comparable to Leupold from the limited number that I am aware have needed to be returned. At least in Canada, the way to claim a warranty is to bring it in to the store and an exchange is made on the spot. The customer walks out with a new scope and the old one is sent in for repairs.

DrMike":11v6xaap said:
.....The warranty appears to be comparable to Leupold from the limited number that I am aware have needed to be returned.

That I have heard also!

Service and quality made Leupold's reputation. It is not a bad model to copy.

I have the Viper and very happy with it. My only gripe is the short eye relief at higher magnification. Other than that, the scope is great. From What I heard and read, the warranty is second to none.

I have heard of them but have never seen one to comment. The Canadian exchange program is excellent, can't go wrong! I wonder what they do with the repaired scopessince they can't sell thme as new.

JD338

I have a Vortex Viper 4-12x40, regular plex. I put it on my .270wsm SS Vanguard and it works as advertised. Nice eye-relief, good clicks and side-focus is smooth. Should have bought two :oops: .

A lot of the long range guys in Snipershide are using them. Granted that some are over 1K or more and some more reasonably priced. These guys do praise them though.

I have two of them.A 6x24x50 AO Crossfire ($99.95 @ SWFA) and a 3.5x10x40 Crossfire.
I'll stack them up against any scope I own except my Zeiss for clarity.
Customer service is outstanding.
Great value for the price IMHO.

Howard

I wonder what they do with the repaired scopes since they can't sell them as new.

Jim,

I'm not certain of the answer to this question. I know in two stores, however, this is the manner in which the relatively few returns are handled. This was on instruction from the Vortex representatives. Thus, I assume this is a company decision and not merely a decision by distributors. In any case, it does speak well of someone's assessment of the product.

Probably sell them as refurbs. As long as they are marked as such, I see no problem with getting rid of them that way.

I love my Viper 4.5x20x50 and their customer service is A+ (SEE TOPIC)
http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13543
I just returned from my final test of this new scope. I had trouble with the Crossfire scopes holding true with my .300 WSM, I think the recoil was just too much for this scope. Since my free upgrade to the Viper this things is spectacular. Clarity at 400 yards was just what I would expect from a good scope. Clarity at 100 yards, well it has a bit to be desired. Took a bit of adjustments to get a clear site picture at 100 yards but a simple fix, now its clear as a bell at 400 yards as well. Anyways, seeing I had trouble with the Crossfire I put this one through the ringer and it still holds true. My confidence level has risen by a factor of 10.

My advice, go with a Viper series if you can swing it. I dont recomened the Crossfire for large caliber rifles. JMTC.

I am thinking of getting a Viper in 6.5x20x44 for my new LR rig! I played with one this weekend and was impressed with the glass.

POP":103r3tdw said:
I am thinking of getting a Viper in 6.5x20x44 for my new LR rig! I played with one this weekend and was impressed with the glass.

Absolutely love mine! Have the 6.5x20x50 and it rocks!

I wish my local sporting goods store would hurry there as and get some in already... Theyve been out of the 6.5-20x44 for months now. I'd love to be able to take one outside and look through it before I was to order one. Haven't read to much bad about them and a whole lot of good though. Got me seriously thinking that I can buy 2 of them for the price of 1 VX3 6.5-20 LR, but the question still arises, are they really as good as a Leupold or as good as everyone makes them out to be?? Just dont know if there just a really good $400 scope, or if they actually perform on par, or above par then say a Leupold VX3 that cost 2x as much? I'd like to buy 2 as I am short 2 scopes, 1 for my upcoming 243 and 1 for my 264. I've never strayed from Leupold however when it comes to putting glass on top a LR rifle.

BalisticsNut":1t9z26k3 said:
POP":1t9z26k3 said:

Absolutely love mine! Have the 6.5x20x50 and it rocks!

Which reticle?

Vortex Optics are outstanding. Many of my friends have them and have pulled there Leupold and Nikon off to install them.
I for one am using them and am waiting for the Vortex Viper PST's to come in from my order. I have a 6-24x50 FFP: EBR-1 MOA Reticle, 4-16x50: EBR-1 MOA Reticle, 2.5-10x44: EBR-1 MOA Reticle.

There Warranty is as follows:

The VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customers. We will repair or replace your Vortex product for any reason at NO CHARGE TO YOU. It doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it. You can count on the VIP Warranty:

•Unlimited Lifetime Warranty
•Fully transferable
•No warranty card to fill out
•No receipt needed to hang on to
If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you.

This really works better then any other company. I had one customer have his fixed and my roomate just sent one in and within one week there was a new one at the door. It does not matter if it failed or you failed it is fixed or repaired.

Back