Vortex vs Nikon

DON

Handloader
Dec 3, 2013
I'm giving strong consideration for a new scope for my 300 RUM. It will be either the Vortex HS LR 4 X 16 X 50 or Nikon Monarch 3 XTR 4 X 16 X 50. This will be used specifically for out West hunting. Please give me some feed back on these two, real field experience too.

Thanks,
Don

Don I haven't looked threw a Nikon scope but I can tell you that the New HD series Vortex Diamond Backs are a lot of scope for the money and you can't beat the warranty.

I have used Nikon Monarchs for close to 15 years, including many Monarch UCC, one new generation Monarch, and one newest generation Monarch 3. Recently, I picked up a Viper HST. Both lines appear to be put together well, have decent glass, and are useful for standard hunting. For long range shooting, the HST wins hands down due to the reticle and turrets.

Watch for the elevation adjustment on the HS LR, it is 1/2 MOA per click versus 1/4 MOA. Some don't like that.

Don I can't speak of vortex but I do run a Nikon on my 300 rum. Have shot to 800 yards and turrets respond perfectly to and fro.

Back