VX III Boone & Crockett : zeroing......

Bluejay

Beginner
Apr 6, 2006
Hi Folks,
I have been playing around with my new Scope and it works fine.

Hunting season is now quickly approaching (Sept.15) and I can't make my mind uo on which distance I should zero my rifle in.

Should I zero my rifle @ 200 yds./meters (main cross, as suggested by the Leupold manual) and calculate the distance to the other 3 marks, or should I zero @ 100 ?

Shots are normally gonna be taken from 150 to 300 yds/m.

What would you suggest from experience ?

Thanks for you time.

Cheers
Bluejay

Follow the directions per the Leupold manual. The book that came with the scope has a Reticle Cartride List that should tell you which group of cartridges you gun fits into and where to zero the scope.

Most commonly you should zero for 200 yards and then the lower hash marks are pretty close for 300, 400, etc. I zero my rifles that wear the Boone and Crockett reticle at 200 yards. I have shot several of them at a measured 400 yards and that reticle really does work.

R Flowers":wkqfsxz8 said:
Follow the directions per the Leupold manual. The book that came with the scope has a Reticle Cartride List that should tell you which group of cartridges you gun fits into and where to zero the scope.

+1

JD338

I also recommend following the instructions (RTFI as we used to say in the Navy).

So far hunting with a ballistic reticle seems to guarantee me a close shot. Must be some magic in the scope.

jim

Thanks Guys, will do ! :wink:

Gonna try the 300 meters at the range next week to see where the money is....

Cheers
Bluejay

Be sure to site it in for the load you're using, per the chart provided with the scope. Siting in at 200 yards will only put you a couple of inches high, at the most, at 100 yards.

Another helpful tool to have is the RX IV Boone & Crockett...it uses the same reticle as the scope and shows you right where to aim...another neat feature is the fact that it will also determine the size of the antlers you're looking for, once calibrated correctly...I use this combo on my .257 WBY MAG, and love it!
-TB

I have done the calibration with a 100 yard zero and it works okay, but for hunting purposes I've gone back to the 200 yard zero. A 200 yrd zero means no thinking for anything out to 200 yards where the animal might get a sense of you and make for a quick shot. At 300 yards or more you will likely have time to set up and get organize with/out the worry of discovery. Then you have time to make sure you are on the right line and adjusted for wind properly.

Back