VXIII B&C

chet

Handloader
Mar 10, 2006
just got my new leo mounted up last night on my 25-06.
This reticle is gonna be fun
the hunting load is a 110gr AB at 3150
the varmint load is a 85gr BT at 3450

the two settings match up pretty good......

Leupold is the way to go. I almost bought the same scope for my 280AI, went with a Mark4 4.5-14x so I could dial up my ranges. So far I have only ran it to 300 yds, but it is dead on.
Let us know how it works out for you.

JD338

How far are you able to shoot? They are nice scopes. I'm a leupold fan myself, but am partial to the target style knobs, so I can dial up for shots. Let us know how it does at the longer ranges, i'm interested in knowing how it does.

Remmy,

From what I know, you are going to be pretty close out to 500 yds, It all depends on the cartridge/load you are shooting. Even if you were off +/- an inch, I don't think it would make that much difference on a big game animal.

JD338

I forgot to mention that you might be able to "tweek" a little by adjusting the power ring.

JD338

JD, I have very little experience with the holdover style reticles. I just dont really like them. I tried a Burris 3-9 with the b plex system. You can trace a load down pretty easily with a ballistics program, so thats what I did. I just looked and seen how the burris reticle dropped at 300-400-500 and tryed to pick a load close to there drops with there zero. I put it on my 25-06, shooting a 117g sbt at 3040fps, the 500 yard mark was only 1 inch off at 500 yards. I just dont like to be limited to a couple loads. Also, past about 600 yards, they just aren't precise enough. I think if someone only wants to shoot deer and elk out to 500 yards, they are great, but for farther stuff, dialing up is more precise, and can work with any rifle/bullet combo as long as its accurate!

Now heres the funny thing. I did not like the burris scope for clarity and brightness issues, so my dad traded me a vx2 3-9 leupold for it, yay!! He wanted it for his 338 win mag shooting 225g sst's at 2750fps. I figured I knew how to trace the load so that it should hit within a couple inches out to 500 yards, but it did not work out that way. It would shoot about a foot high at 500 yards. I never could understand why either. I messed with the ballistics program and went out and zeroed both 100-200 yards all to no avail. I still dont know how it worked so perfectly on my 25-06 and pretty much fail on the 338. The trajectory on the 338 was matched with burris's hashmarks, so I dont know wha the deal is.

remingtonman_25_06":3n5yzlig said:
JD, I have very little experience with the holdover style reticles. I just dont really like them. I tried a Burris 3-9 with the b plex system. You can trace a load down pretty easily with a ballistics program, so thats what I did. I just looked and seen how the burris reticle dropped at 300-400-500 and tryed to pick a load close to there drops with there zero. I put it on my 25-06, shooting a 117g sbt at 3040fps, the 500 yard mark was only 1 inch off at 500 yards. I just dont like to be limited to a couple loads. Also, past about 600 yards, they just aren't precise enough. I think if someone only wants to shoot deer and elk out to 500 yards, they are great, but for farther stuff, dialing up is more precise, and can work with any rifle/bullet combo as long as its accurate!

I agree with you. That is why I bought the Mark4.
Also, yesterday I sent a VXIII 2.5x8 back to Leupold to have the M1 turrents added. I will use this on my 338 RUM. I am really liking the dial in approach!

JD338

Yes you can get target knobs installed on them. Elevation and windage. I think its around $150 give or take. You can put them on any scopes except the rifleman series and the LPS series. The M1 turrets are really nice!

JD are you still able to get the M1 turrets installed on vx2 and vx3 scopes? I guess you can obviously as you are. I thought I read somewhere that they were not putting M1 style knobs on VX scopes. Oh well, its good they are for the people that want them.

Remmy,

Leupold will do the M1 knobs for the VXIII for sure.
You are right, good bunch of guys at Leupold.
I currently have two scopes with the target turrents, a Mark 4 and a VXII 4-12 and they work great. This will be my first set of M1s and I think they will really be nice.
I'll let you know in a couple of weeks.

JD338

chet, congrats on your scope !!!!!! i bought one my self not too long ago mines a 1inch vx3... 4.5x14 no ao with the varmit hunters retical, mounted it on my newly built mauser 30-06, been playing with it and reloads lately,143 reloads down the hart pipe,just love the scope and she gin clear!!!!!!! was shooting 180 partitions yesterday crographing 2850 fps...was shooting at 625yds at my mgm prarie-dog, shot a halo around her but iv''e hit her many times before at that same range. i studied and compared many scopes mine has 3 moa less than their 30mm tubes that really impressed me! i also looked thrugh a vx3 same power range as ours with the BnC rectical ,mistakenly thinking that the rectial would be very bold(bigger-thicker) for hunting but it was not at all, i gave it back 2 the clerk and smiled to my self as i walked away impressed, any howwwwwwwwwwwwww cograts again, side note i played with a friends burris signature select on a super acurate 223 savage rifle with that accutrigger and had a heck of a great time, scope was super brite but i bought the leuuuuey because she had manny more moa''s .....i''m Berry happy....regards to you all :wink: ...jjmp

Back