Wanted: load info 264 mag

264mag

Beginner
Aug 5, 2005
I would like to know what bullets anyone is using out of their 264 mag. I need a good load for mule deer this year. I have a pre 64 win. It has a shallow throat so the long 140 gr bt's don't fit.

Is anyone using any 120-125 gr bullets that would work well for mule deer?

264mag

264mag":10v3p353 said:
I would like to know what bullets anyone is using out of their 264 mag. I need a good load for mule deer this year. I have a pre 64 win. It has a shallow throat so the long 140 gr bt's don't fit.

Is anyone using any 120-125 gr bullets that would work well for mule deer?

264mag

264 mag,

My father has a pre 64 Westerner and I recently discovered it has a short throat also. I loaded some 140gr Gamekins to the OAL in the manual and they turned out to be too long for him but fit my rifle perfectly. My rifle was made from a 338 since I am left handed. I have been loading 125gr Partitions for it but have yet to shoot anything with it except paper. Very accurate so far. I am planning on trying them out in my fathers rifle and see how they work out opposed to the 140's.

264 Win Mag

Look for the new issue of Guns and Ammo. They have a nice 2 page article on reloading the 264 Win Mag

Thanks for your posts!

Glad to see the 125's are working well for you 264 Win Mag.

Bigdog2n, I'll have to go pick up a copy.

Thanks again,

164mag

I've been shooting the Hornady 129 gr SST. It performed nicely on a whitetail doe last fall. Good luck!

Thanks sambo3006.

I got two new bird dogs this year and have been so busy I unfortunately havn't had time to reload. These are my first pointers and have so far gotten into some grouse, chukar, and pheasants recently.

This was a bullet I've been wanting to try out and will do so as soon as the bird hunts are over. I plan on loading a bunch up this winter and chasing fox and coyote's to practice on before next years hunt.

All original .264s had "short" throats. The factory loaded a special two-diameter bullet to allow seating heavy bullets out to the lands, but we usually don't have that luxury. The 125 Partitions will behave just like 130s out of a .270 at about the same velocity - great muley medicine for certain! :grin:

If you are only getting 270/130 velocities from your 264/125's, you are wasting time and effort shooting that big case!! In a 26" 264, you should get close to 3400 with the 125 and a whole raft of different powders. No wonder some are disillusioned with the 264! Loaded down to 270 velocities is NOT what the 264 is about. Realistically, 3200-3250 is possible with that long sleek 140 grainer in the 264. Try that for flat over 500 yards! Eagleye.

Back