weapon, gun or firearm?

old #7

Handloader
Sep 9, 2006
When you or people you know talk about copper and lead throwing devices what term do you use and do you think it makes a difference in the perception of the device?

I use the term gun. I also use the term rifle, shotgun and hand gun.
I don't like to use the term weapon.
The reason I don't like that description is it is too broad.
When the news reports that someone was killed or injured by an assault weapon poeple automaticly assume it's a AK or Ar style rifle.
I think an assault weapon is anything a person decides to use when they choose to assault someone. It could be a baseball bat, knife, rock, 2x4, ted kennedy's car, the other knight professor plum did it in the kitchen with a candle stick.
I don't think "weapon" is a good adjective to use when describing any kind of firearm.
I have a few rifles, shotguns, and pistols that are described all too often as assault weapond yet, I have never assaulted anyone.
I think the term "criminalizes" firearms.
What do you think?

When I am teaching Firearm safety, if it makes gun powder go bang its a firearm. If I want to indicate the difference between my rifle and anything else its a shot gun or a hand gun. If you are in law enforcement or service to your country its a WEAPON. If you use it to hold up a gas station or stick it in some ones face to rob them etc. its an idiots misused tool of choice! Just my .02 worth. CL

cloverleaf wrote
If you use it to hold up a gas station or stick it in some ones face to rob them etc. its an idiots misused tool of choice!
I like that!
Misused is the proper description along with idiot. :wink:

"WEAPONS" are used to assault "PEOPLE".

For that reason, I never refer to a sporting arm as a weapon. After 25 years of teaching the NYS Hunter Safety Program; "Firearm" has become the term of choice when referring to sporting arms.

Each year when I return to the Police Academy for our annual firearms refresher course, "weapon" is the common term used when referring to the uniform sidearm.

In the Academy we insert a "magazine" into the "weapon". Just using the word "clip" (instead of magazine) will cost you a dollar which is put into the coffee fund. There was quite a bit of money in that fund by the end of the week. :lol:

Rifle pistol and shotgun.

I was a cop in the USAF for over 20 years and the term weapon was mandatory.....up until I made Master Sgt. Then I called it whatever I wanted.

It did drive me nuts though! Hell a fork can be a weapon too. :evil:

I use all three. I'm not a huge fan of PC and media labels. Granted I usally use weapon at work only but it does come up every now and then.

old #7":145fis8r said:
I use the term gun. I use the term rifle, shotgun and handgun.

yup! A spoon can be a weapon!

After 21 years of military service I got SICK of it!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Why is an M-16 a weapon, an M-9 a weapon, but a knife not a weapon but a knife???????????

The M-16 & M-9 are guns! The K-bar is a knife. The baseball bat is a bat but they are...

all WEAPONS!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, JD - Even a blind hog will root up an acorn every now and then...

The carry classes that we teach at the range it is aways a FIREARM!
Blind hog and acorns? How about a blind 12 point P&Y buck come Sat. since it the first day of bow season and the acorns are falling like crazy :grin:

Back