Weatherby Camilla photo added

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Does the Vanguard (Camilla) take the same scope bases as a Rem 700? Or???

Setting up a rifle for a friend and have to order new scope bases & rings.

And with the 6x42 fixed power Leupold, mounts by Talley.

We might get to shoot it next week.

Guy

Guy Miner":dzpiorf8 said:
Does the Vanguard (Camilla) take the same scope bases as a Rem 700? Or???

Setting up a rifle for a friend and have to order new scope bases & rings.

Guy

Yes- any 2-piece 700 bases should fit the Vanguard actions.

Let us know how she likes it Guy. I have a buddy who is looking at guns for his girlfriend and that one is on the list. If I recall correctly, the Camilla has a shorter, 20", barrel doesn't it? Wish they wouldn't do that...

Will do - after we get it all set up and she gets some range time with it, a report will be coming.

Yes, shorter barrel and a shorter, re-shaped stock. Lots of influence from women during the design of the Camilla, it's really intended to have different dimensions from most rifles. I'm looking forward to seeing her shoot it.

She's getting the .308 Win version, so good ammo is no problem at all.

Guy

Guy I think Talley makes rings for the Vanguard and if I remember right when I called them they said Remington bases were a little different though close to being the same. But it has been a few years since I last scoped a Vanguard.

I've had several Vanguard/Howa rifles... very nice rifles. Examined several Camillas down at the local shop- very nice wood on all of them and everything looked great. All of my Vanguards were shooters.

Guy, I bought Talleys from WBY. for my wifes Camilla in 6.5 Creedmoor and they fit real nice.

69gto":qdm95oq3 said:
Guy, I bought Talleys from WBY. for my wifes Camilla in 6.5 Creedmoor and they fit real nice.

You don't happen to have a photo of the finished setup do you?

I'd like her rifle to be really classy, as well as completely functional.

She's considering a fixed 6x Leupold, probably my influence.

Guy

Guy,

The fixed 6X would be a great choice! It would cover anything she would ever hunt with a 308.
What other chamber offerings for the Camilla?

JD338

Sorry Guy, I don't know how to post pictures, the Talleys from Wby. say Vanguard on the side of base.

JD338":ktzb3mdc said:
Guy,

The fixed 6X would be a great choice! It would cover anything she would ever hunt with a 308.
What other chamber offerings for the Camilla?

JD338

Smaller stuff, good cartridges:
7mm-08
6.5 Creedmoor
.243 Win

Looking at maybe the B&C reticle, or other reticle with longer range hashmarks on the crosshairs for her. Keep it simple, zero it at 200 yards with 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. Call it good.

Guy

Guy Miner":cveuulnc said:
69gto":cveuulnc said:

You don't happen to have a photo of the finished setup do you?

I'd like her rifle to be really classy, as well as completely functional.

She's considering a fixed 6x Leupold, probably my influence.

Guy
http://www.weatherby.com/products/acces ... ounts.html

Right on the Weatherby website.

I have moved to using either Talleys like this, or Burris Signature rings, on all of my rifles. The Talleys always fit and always look classy. I don't have any pics of them on my Vanguards, but have used them quite a bit on those rifles. You will like them.

Thanks Dr Vette & 69gto! Ordered a set of those Talleys for the Camilla. :) They ought to work nicely!

Guy

Guy, what height did you order? The lows are plenty high for a Leupold with a 40 mm objective, almost 1/4 inch clearance with the scope all the way back.

I went with medium. The shooter prefers her scopes mounted a little higher than I do. She shoots with her head quite upright.

If it doesn't work out, we'll swap them out.

Rifle is here, not as pretty as in the Weatherby ads of course, but nice. No scope or rings yet...

I think I'm as excited about her rifle as she is! Maybe more? It's fun, helping people get into firearms and hunting.

Guy

With the 6x (42mm) Leupold mounted in the Talley rings. I think it's a handsome rifle and hoping it serves her well:

The rifle is nicely balanced. Light. Has rather different ergonomics than my CDL's - quite a bit different stock design!

First handloading efforts will involved the 165 gr Ballistic Tip, and either Varget or RL-15 in Nosler cases. I'll also give the 165 gr Nosler Partitions a try.

With as many thousands of .308's as I've loaded & fired, this should be pretty easy. :grin: She wants to hunt deer and elk with it this year.

Guy

Great looking rifle your Lady friend has selected. I think Weatherby did that one right for the Ladies.
Don't over look IMR8208 it seems to work very well in .308s.

Back